May 15, 2024, 10:23:00 AM

Author Topic: Has Wall of Thorns been fixed?  (Read 9517 times)

Brazil

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Has Wall of Thorns been fixed?
« on: April 10, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »
So I quit playing about a year or two ago, in a small part due to the OP(over powered) nature of Wall of Thorns.   I was playing with my local friends then went to a local tournament, and one serious player showed up, who had this wall of thorns deck.  The whole deck revolved around removing armor items and pushing the opposing wizard through a wall of thorns, which since he's level 6....has the net affect of -  a 10 dice attack, for very little mana cost.
That seemed "Broken" to me.   Not that the deck couldn't be countered....very very difficult to counter.  But any deck which specifically has to be counter-built against breaks the game balance.

So...my question is:   Has something been done to Nerf "Wall of Thorns"?

It's Mana to Damage ratio is ridiculous compared to other spells.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Has Wall of Thorns been fixed?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 12:54:12 PM »
Not really, just real simple strategies to counter it, mainly several pieces of Leather in different slots and/or a Brace Yourself, make sure the opponents Dissolve Wand is destroyed quickly. Even one armor really takes the teeth out of it. Additionally you can do the same back and give them some of there on own medicine.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
I used to see wall of thorns push combo used all the time, and now I only see it used on rare occasion. Force push costs 6 mana to push a creature through a wall. wall of thorns costs 5 mana. So that's 11 mana and two quick actions for 10 dice. As a finisher it feels cheesy and unthematic because it doesn't make much sense for mere thorns to do that much damage, but it's not overpowered anymore. I'm not entirely sure if it ever was, to be honest. Armor stops it as does eagleclaw boots, and there are ways to protect your armor and your boots now, as well as to remove corrode conditions. Keep in mind that wall of thorns push combo costs 2 quick actions and 11 mana to work (or 2 quick actions and 9 mana if you're using jet stream). Double fireball generally is a more efficient and powerful finisher than wall of thorns push.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 01:05:46 PM »
Its the double push that is deadly.....but yes Charmyna (I think) was the one who taught me this one.....

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 01:19:33 PM »
Well compare it to two Hurl Rock. Still 10 dize, 2 actions, 8 mana and a daze chance. And a lot better vs. 1 armor.

What makes Wall of Thorns really good are action stacking like 3 trips through a wall with Wizard, Wizards Tower and even Huginn for an extra treat.

Nature school don't really have any high damage spells so I like it. Besides its pretty goods vs. Force field.

Counters are pretty easy. Put on some leather, 1 enchantment (Nully, Divine Protection, Rhino Hide) almost any hidden will work. Eagleclaw Boots or even Tanglevine your mage!

Its a bit harsh to use on beginners but I gladly use it vs. almost anyone who fails to protect themselves.

Im considering a druid build with Seedling pots (can conjure Wall of Thorns) and Mountain Goats to do some pushing :)
Or any mage with multiple Goblin Builders..

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 01:28:04 PM »
Tanglevine yourself man!

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »
hurl rock+hurl rock+hurl boulder 17dice 16mana vs 17mana 20 dice wall of thorns push

vs armor the rocks much better else its 3dice for 1mana, but more set up. when you do it, off ini turn so you can quickcast next round...

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 02:08:29 PM »
hurl rock+hurl rock+hurl boulder 17dice 16mana vs 17mana 20 dice wall of thorns push

vs armor the rocks much better else its 3dice for 1mana, but more set up. when you do it, off ini turn so you can quickcast next round...
But You can boost damage from attack spells with Hawkeye, Sniper Shot or reroll dice with Akiro's favor (and Gloves of Skill if You use promos). Simple aegis on enemy mage reduces damage from the wall by half.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 06:35:07 AM »
No, it's not fixed because it's not broken. Any Armour or Aegis completely nerfs it.

If you get hit by this, it's generally poor play on your part allowing it (and you should expect any opposing book to either strip or ignore your armour).

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »
But any deck which specifically has to be counter-built against breaks the game balance.

I can agree with that.
It would be impossible to build an interessant book if you would have to add 1 card to counter each of 50 possible killing books (1 x 50 x 2points = 100 points, leaving 20 points to play!). And would it be only one such killing deck, it would be bad to have to add a card in every book just to counter it.

But in the case of the wall of thorns, the cards that can counter it (armor, boots, etc) are cards that are usefull against many books, it's basis defense!

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »
   No one even mentioned the very simple - deal 6 damage to the wall and destroy it.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »
   No one even mentioned the very simple - deal 6 damage to the wall and destroy it.

But used the way it is most effective, the wall doesn't even exist until just before you are tossed through it... twice... and unable to cast any spells or activate creatures between.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Brazil

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
Okay look:   People who play   "Wall of Thorns" strategies, bring plenty of support spells to ensure it works,  he will have Dispels, Disenchants, Steal Enchantment, Steal Equipment, Detonate....and more than one wall of Thorns.

It's not like you're going to counter a well constructed Wall of Thorns book with just a few spells, you really have to commit a fair percentage of your spell book to counter it.     And since it deals such a massive amount of damage so quickly, I mean is there anything that deals the amount of damage per mana spent than pushing someone through a wall of thorns does?   Average 12 damage per trip through the wall.   A Wizard is unlikely to survive 4 pushes.

So even if, you have a counter that you think is effective to stop it, you pretty much have to have those counters in every tournament spell book you make.  (and we're not talking about a couple cards....you're going to have to commit 1/4 or more of your spell book to counter a good Wall of Thorns player.)    Your normal strategy is unlikely to work, since the Wall of Thorns deals damage faster than pretty much any other strategy,  it pretty much forces anyone who wants to play in a tournament to have to commit 1/4 or more of their book to "Wall of Thorns defense"....or play Wall themselves.   This really sques the meta-game play tournament environment.

Frankly if a particular card causes the every tournament player to have to bring a dozen or more counter strategy cards to accommodate that one strategy caused by that card, it is a bad card to have in the game.  It should be banned or nerfed.   If the card wording were just something like "This Card treats Mages as level 2"   Something like that would just fix the whole problem.    But it is a problem to be sure.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 03:47:50 PM »
First of all I consider myself a fairly good player an second I consider myself a really good Wall of Thorns player as my favorite mage for a year or so was a WoT pushing Wizard.

I don't believe what your saying is true. A committed WoT strategy can be countered quit easily.

Average damage for 1 WoT push vs. a mage is 10 damage if the mage doesn't have ANY kind off protection.

Obvious counter is put on some kind of leather armor.

Put on 1 face down enchantment on your mage - its now very risky to spend 11 mana for a maybe 10 dice.

Take extra care in rounds were you have initiative.

A pretty standard opening like mana flower/crystal + Battle Forge is very hurtfull to a WoT strategy. If you plan WoT + Force Push in a round youre really hurt if your opponent puts on armor in deploy.

Ill admit 1 thing - WoT really rocks vs. people who don´t put on armor at all.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 04:15:56 PM »
Yea I don't see it as a problem either, and I have not been playing as long as some on the forums.  if you put on one armor you could be blocking 1 basic damage each roll up to five times. Two pieces of armor 2 basic damage up to five times, ect.  So with just two points of armor blocking up to 10 damage is pretty easy way to counter.  Like others have said, many people use these spells in many builds.  Comsidering a lot of armor is novice it does not really have to make that big of an impact on builds. 
A lot of points here have been stating easy and mathematical solutions to wall of thorns and force push.  I don't see everyone has to build the same book to counter such strategies because again some of these spells (armor, aegis, tanglevine self, even a teleport self out of harms way) are solutions to many different types of strategies. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster