May 06, 2024, 06:27:46 AM

Author Topic: Other than fantasy based themes.  (Read 3498 times)

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Other than fantasy based themes.
« on: February 20, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »
Is there anyone else out there who would love to see some cyber-punk, or post-apocalyptic, or steam-punk theme based expansions? I personally would love to see some steam-punk cards. Obviously this is not a new concept with fantasy based games, but my question is....How many of you out there would be happy to see that in this game? The game is so flexible it could support it, but how would that make you feel? Or do you think they could go the direction of Warhammer like with 40K and have it implemented in a different product line? I personally think it could and should fit with the main game.(But then again, I love magic based technology in my Role Playing games, Eberron is my favorite campaign setting,I love D20 Modern, and Bioshock/Fallout are by far my favorite Video games so I may be a little bias.)
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Other than fantasy based themes.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
Speaking purely from my personal gaming group's perspective, there would be zero interest in different themes inside of Mage Wars.  They are certainly fine themes and settings but not for Mage Wars.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:31:47 PM »
That is good feedback, thank you! I have a feeling that a lot of people will share your perspective,(as well as mine.) I just wanted an open discussion and see other peoples perspective as well. Now the other question for people that share your perspective would be: If they made just one expansion with any of the themes listed above, would that deter you from playing that one expansion? Just based off the theme alone and no other merits? Would that deter you from playing Mage Wars as a whole? I know that there are a lot of hypothetical variables, but I would like just a gut reaction. (I know its hard to gauge these things, seeing as some other games expansions at first were criticized heavily for being to distant from a overall fantasy theme, and have latter become some of there best selling products.) And then...How far is too far? Would a Gnome Artificer with a gun of some sort and constructs like torrents be too much? If yes, how so?
Within Shad0w.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »
Mage Wars has a specific setting, story and world written that is as much a part of the game as its mechanics.  So, as long as any content is supported by and fits within that setting then its usually ok (in the case of gnomish artificers and fantasy style firearms)

Something as drastically different as sci-fi and post apocalyptic mauraders wouldn't fit that setting at all, but could be interesting as its own game with its own setting that used the Mage Wars system as its "core" and is designed to support mechanics geared towards those settings.

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
If they made a one off expansion that was just completely outside the box of High Fantasy, I would simply ignore the expansion.  If it added some new mechanic that changed the game (maybe a Must Have Spell or some entirely new trait/defense) then that would be the likely end of my continued interest in the game.  Speaking PURELY hypothetically, of course.  

Now if they decided to have some light steam punk mage, or some gnomish artificer with guns and automatons... I'd have to see how it was done.  My initial "gut reaction" is to avoid that dilution of the high fantasy frame, but it could be an expansion rather than dilution.

Basically, I want to feel like I just stepped into the Arena with my trusty book of spells to duel.  That's what the game's premise is advertised, and I believe it achieves it very well.  Once you start matching up my Gorgon Archers or Lord of Fire versus Gnomish Longrifle Brigadier or Voltron... I cease to be interested.

I should say if that if the game were based on a clash of futuristic technomancers slinging code and gauss rifle rounds at each other, I would completely avoid/dislike any filthy fantasy elements too.  I want my archetypes pure dammit. :)

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »
Filthy Fantasy-(TM) I understand these views and can agree with them. I do hope more is posted on this thread, just due to my interest in the matter. I thank you all for your comments. I know alot of games have handled doing this well, but most the time people seemed to be not pleased.(At least at first. I remember even MtG getting alot of flack for some of there expansions, but anything fits, since its a "Multiverse". And Im the only one in my nine people gaming group who likes Ebbron,or GamaWorld,That I dont understand why but, yep. Filthy Fantasy! :P )
Within Shad0w.