May 15, 2024, 05:53:08 PM

Author Topic: Prebuilt decks for domination  (Read 2554 times)

gaspode77

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Prebuilt decks for domination
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
Just received my academy a battleground copies and I'd like to test battleground with a 2vs2 match with my gaming group, the problem is all of them know how to play but none have the game .
Assuming that I have one copy of every expansion excluding core spells... could I build a deck for every mage (or for every archetype at least) to be able just to pick 4 deck and start playing?
Would be possible to use basic deck and still get fun?
Maybe anyone could choose a basic deck and then draft some of the new battleground card ,what do you think?

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Prebuilt decks for domination
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:03:26 PM »
Just received my academy a battleground copies and I'd like to test battleground with a 2vs2 match with my gaming group, the problem is all of them know how to play but none have the game .
Assuming that I have one copy of every expansion excluding core spells... could I build a deck for every mage (or for every archetype at least) to be able just to pick 4 deck and start playing?
Would be possible to use basic deck and still get fun?
Maybe anyone could choose a basic deck and then draft some of the new battleground card ,what do you think?

This is tricky.  If you don't build spell books specifically for Domination mode, then I fear your experience will be tainted by the conflict between what the books are built for (Arena mode / killing the opposing mage) and the added win condition (obtaining V'tar / victory points).  For instance, if you just used the recommended 120 point spell books out of the core set, the Beastmaster would probably do fine, but the Warlock and Wizard would really struggle since they don't have many cheap creatures ... and the Wizard doesn't even get a Spawnpoint, while the Beastmaster's quick-summoning ability makes him much stronger than the others in Domination - not to mention he has one of the best Domination creatures in Cervere, plus a couple of Fast/Flying Thunderrift Falcons.  A lot of the recommended starter book spells will likely be dead cards in a team Domination match.

On the other hand, it would be difficult to build 4 balanced Domination books simultaneously from 1 copy of each core/expansion product.  I'm sure it could be done, but I'm not sure anybody has done it yet.  In particular, I think you'd always find yourself wanting more Force Push / Teleport / Battle Fury / Mongoose Agility.

Perhaps you could start with the 4 core mage recommended spell books, then give each team 1 copy of Galaxxus (from the Domination expansion) and let the teams each allow one player to make room for it (e.g. ditch 4 spell book points worth of other cards).  And in the future, you might consider getting each player to build their own spell books for the next Team Domination match using the online spell book builder (or OCTGN) armed with knowledge from their first match (e.g. what worked and what didn't).  At that point, I'd personally recommend each team include at least one of the four "swarmy" mages (Druid, Necromancer, Warlord or Beastmaster), since those mages are best at pumping out lots of creatures and/or controlling the zones well.  Other mages could work when paired with one of these mages, but for instance a Warlock and a Forcemaster would struggle at Domination unless they were successful at killing an opposing mage very quickly... which might be viable, but I wouldn't recommend even trying that for your first team Domination experience, as it wouldn't be sufficiently different from normal Arena play.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:07:52 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster