May 11, 2024, 03:31:26 PM

Author Topic: Is mage wars losing popularity?  (Read 81886 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Is mage wars losing popularity?
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »

Yesterday i played a really interesting game on OCTGN which lasted 4,5 and which we didn't finish and a second one where my opponent died in turn 3.

I enjoyed the first match and kind of regret the second game (but he said he only had half and hour or so)

We had players in our Group that wanted shorter matches so we started using tournament rules - 75 min/game + finish the round.

I had an effect on my choice of mage and spellbooks, because i sat down and tried to make a faster spellbook.
Tried making a spellbook without a spawnpoint or mana-increasers.

Me personal - i like long games, but not unnecessary long games.

For those who want quicker matches or like the idea of going to tournaments playing with the time limit is a great idea. Most players don't realize the stress and tactical errors that comes with a time limit. Practicing under these conditions could make you a reckless player but could also train you to be more decisive and gain those instincts needed to thwart your opponent no matter the situation.

I feel that most players are with you on longer games. They prefer to play a deck that performs exactly as it should and that may take some time. All the while games that take too long can really put people off. If you keep throwing some games around with the tournament rules you and your players will, without a doubt learn to make faster decisions. Then you won't have to always use the timer.

In my experience if a player is sufficiently familiar with their spellbook and sufficiently skilled, the vast majority of the time games won't go over 2 hours even with the most controlling books. When I have seen or played longer games than that the bulk of the extra time tends to be in the thinking and planning.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:50 AM »
So back to the Original question.  Is Mage Wars losing popularity?

Seems in the US, NO (I hope)
In the rest of the world yes, ( a shame)

as post script, I have played a lot of Mage Wars and have never had a game go over 2 hours, most are around 1 to 90 minutes and those within the tornament settings, such at Organised Play were usually over within 30 minutes, nasty, brutal and short.

By the way, Organised Play, have they died a natural death?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2015, 08:09:41 AM »
By the way, Organised Play, have they died a natural death?

No, OP is not dead. The current kit has had several hang ups, but we're still working on it.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2015, 08:11:08 AM »
In my experience if a player is sufficiently familiar with their spellbook and sufficiently skilled, the vast majority of the time games won't go over 2 hours even with the most controlling books. When I have seen or played longer games than that the bulk of the extra time tends to be in the thinking and planning.

When you play with friends on saturday night, the extra time is chatting with them too.
That's for me an important part of the game (I hate time limite!).

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2015, 08:25:04 AM »
True, we enjoy longer games to try different strategies.  Time limits are used for competitions or organized play and have a completely different style.  Much more aggressive.  No spending 10 turns summoning Crystals and preparing it is do or die.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
I ask the same question in here as I did in the Battleground topic:

Speaking of what Koz just have mentioned, what has been said in the other topic "Is MW losing popularity", and that both you Scott and Aaron have replied to the subject in here I would really like to hear what plan AW has to get the EU market going again. Please say you have nice plan here and that you are not just going to leave it as is. I have the same feeling out of Sweden as my other follow European buddies that MW really need you commitment over here to survive / turn the trend.

If this isn't the right topic I'm sorry, but please reply in new one then. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:11:06 AM by fas723 »

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2015, 04:31:28 AM »
Hi,

i am a MW ambassador in Czech Republic and i must say that "time gap" between FiF and another expansion was trully a big one but with a proper care, my gaming comunity keep its numbers and in some ways, grow a little bit and expand to another city thanks to a guy who had a same passion as me.

Yeah, we loose some cities but i am prepared for reignition with Academy. Now, i would like to ask, what kind of "plan" or commitment you would like to see from the hands of arcane wonders.

You know that there is only 5 ppl with limited resources (time is resource too :) ).

This post was written in curious manner, not "snarkly" or "trolly" one :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2015, 06:54:09 AM »
... Now, i would like to ask, what kind of "plan" or commitment you would like to see from the hands of arcane wonders.

I may be in the minority, but ideally going forward I'd like to see a new MW "Arena" expansion every 6 months. This could be 1 "large" 2-mage expansion (e.g. Forcemaster/Warlord, Druid/Necromancer, Paladin/Siren) and 1 "small" 2 alt-mage expansion (Conquest of Kumanjaro, Forged in Fire) per year -  in addition to anything else that gets released (Battlegrounds expansions featuring new ways to play or expanding on existing ways to play within the Arena framework; Academy expansions featuring a pair of mages; non-mage "spell tome" releases like the upcoming "promos" tome). But I imagine we'll only see the one 2-mage "Arena" release this year (Paladin/Siren) due to the debuts of both Battlegrounds and Academy. 

Depending on the popularity of Academy, I could also imagine only getting one 2-mage "Arena" expansion per year and one 2-mage Academy expansion per year, since that seems to be the way  Academy will be released - although they might want to get a couple Academy sets out ASAP for some variety because I fear just Priestess vs Warlock might get stale pretty quickly.  This, along with more Battlegrounds support and the occasional auxiliary expansion (like the promo tome), maybe alternating from year to year, might be enough for me. Ymmv.

*edit*

Example release schedule (based on the latter, conservative release schedule):
* Spring 2015 - Battlegrounds: Domination (Arena auxiliary release)
* Summer 2015 - Academy: Priestess vs Warlock (Academy main/core release)
* Fall 2015 - Arena: Paladin vs Siren (Arena large expansion release)
* Fall 2015 - Arena: "promo tome TBA" (Arena auxiliary release)
* Fall 2015: Academy: main/core release (e.g. Wizard vs Beastmaster or similar)
* Spring 2016: Arena: small expansion release TBA (e.g. alt-Wizard/alt-Forcemaster pack analogous to Forged in Fire?)
* Summer 2016: Battlegrounds expansion (adding to, or completely different from, "Domination")
* Fall 2016: Academy: main/core release (e.g. Forcemaster vs Warlord or similar)
* Spring 2017: Arena: large expansion release TBA (e.g. Elementalist vs whatever or similar)
* Summer 2017: Arena: auxiliary spell tome (like promos)
* Fall 2017: Academy: main/core release (e.g. Driud vs Necromancer or similar)
* Spring 2018: Arena: small expansion release TBA (e.g. alt-Necromancer vs alt-Paladin or similar)
* Summer 2018: Arena: Battlegrounds expansion (adding to, or completely different from, "Domination")
* Fall 2018: Academy: main/core release (e.g. Siren vs Paladin or similar)
... etc ...
(new editions and reprints of core sets and expansions, like this spring's 4th printing of "Arena" and reprint of Forcemaster vs Warlord, would occur occasionally as necessary)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:03:22 AM by iNano78 »

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2015, 09:50:49 AM »
My question wasn't so much about expansions, but rather the general view of the European market from AW.

Even if I agree with your thoughts iNano my concerns with Europe is that "nothing" happens in Eu like it does in the States where AW participates in fairs, arrange tournaments, or just show its presents except for there product via retailers.

As ambassador in Sweden I would really like to hear the future plan AW has for EU since time is running short to turn the tide if you listen to what people in here has to say in the matter.

Speaking of what Koz just have mentioned, what has been said in the other topic "Is MW losing popularity", and that both you Scott and Aaron have replied to the subject in here I would really like to hear what plan AW has to get the EU market going again. Please say you have nice plan here and that you are not just going to leave it as is. I have the same feeling out of Sweden as my other follow European buddies that MW really need you commitment over here to survive / turn the trend.

If this isn't the right topic I'm sorry, but please reply in new one then. Thanks!

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
My question wasn't so much about expansions, but rather the general view of the European market from AW.

Even if I agree with your thoughts iNano my concerns with Europe is that "nothing" happens in Eu like it does in the States where AW participates in fairs, arrange tournaments, or just show its presents except for there product via retailers.

As ambassador in Sweden I would really like to hear the future plan AW has for EU since time is running short to turn the tide if you listen to what people in here has to say in the matter.

Again though, this is going to be really hard for AW to do on their own since they have ~5 employees and have limited funds.

I'm sure they would LOVE to go to Essen but it probably isn't possible for them right now (unless I'm mistaken and they've been going). Therefore, they are going to end up relying on the Ambassadors in Europe to do most of the heavy lifting, which is understandably hard for you guys.

Now it would be great if they somehow got volunteers to run a booth at Essen or perhaps even hired somebody who lived somewhere in Europe to work solely for the market over there but I don't know if something like this is remotely possible for them.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »
I will be in Essen 8)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »

Hi everyone!  As VP of sales, marketing, distributor and partner relations I wanted to chime in here.

First, yes, we want to grow in the European market and no, we don't ever want to leave a market "as is".  We love our fans in Europe and I've had the pleasure of working with several of the ambassadors there who are all excellent.

Regarding fairs, shows, and events, we are a US based company and are small, we are only 5 people.  It is much more affordable to make it to local shows in the US like Origins and Gen Con than it is to get someone from our company to Essen or the UK Games Expo for example.  To give you a rough idea, for the cost of getting one person to and back from Essen, I can get an entire 20 x 20 booth and marketing at Origins.  As a fan of board gaming, there are many European small companies our size who I would love to see come to Gen Con, but simply can't do it, for very similar reasons.  I can never fault a small company for trying to spend it's money wisely this way and hope no one faults us in the same fashion.

In that light, it's why we focus so much on Ambassador relations.  Like many other competitive card games, our game thrives when supported by the community.  Last year we had several events hosted by European Ambassadors.  Jannis Grimm held gameplay events at Essen with our partner Pegasus, and this year we plan on having Chris Brett, another ambassador, at the UK Games Expo playing and teaching Mage Wars.  Just because none of us from the States make it there doesn't mean we're not trying to take advantage of opportunities in the region.

The biggest challenge I see us facing is local store organized play.  Many retailers we speak to tell us they have no one in their communities willing to step up to manage it.  This is where we need ambassador help.  If you want to see Mage Wars thrive, there is no better way than offering you FLGS some of your time to organize play groups, generate and build a community and build to organized play.

As a great example, here is a video that Jan Kriz, an ambassador of ours overseas, put together about events he's had an impact with:

https://youtu.be/AptRPtTyL9Y?t=5m30s

Do we need to release more product to keep the game from becoming stale?  Yes.  Bryan is keenly aware of the delay from a design and business standpoint.  He is a perfectionist and I don't think anyone of us wants a product that's not fun to play.  Paladin vs Siren has taken an eternity, to be as transparent as possible, and I for one think the company announced it way too soon in it's development cycle.  We're working to solve three main problems right now:

1.) Introduce more players to the game and community: We are confident new sets and the release of Academy later this year will accomplish this.

2.) Bring out more spells to keep the spellbook options fresh: We are planning on Battlegrounds, Core Spell Tome 3 and Paladin vs Siren, all this year, to accomplish this.  Battlegrounds Domination has already been announced and we are still planning the others this year.

3.) Bring out more Mages: As mentioned, Bryan and Aaron are working on the design of Paladin vs Siren, and we have the next set after PvS planned in mind already for 2016.

Regarding marketing, we have a modest budget and we use that for print and web advertising, in an effort to hit all markets.  We work to advertise in trade magazines that are seen world wide and web sites, like BGG, that have a global impact.

In addition, we have several language translations out, in motion, or coming. We have a few partners interested in beginning with Academy, since they see it as an opportune product to launch in their markets with.  Also, our European distributors all regularly acquire Mage Wars, in English, for sales to retailers in region.

While I understand the frustrations and I greatly appreciate the support form our overseas friends and fans, we look to our communities to help us grow and thrive in areas we don't have official Arcane Wonders staff located in.  Caracas, Venezuela, while yes, not in Europe, is a great example.  There is a local store there who doesn't have a local distributor.  We have worked to not only get them games, but get them set up with an Ambassador and OP and now they are regularly hosting Mage Wars events there, growing their local community. 

I will simply ask this, apart form the obvious of no new sets since Forged in Fire, what is stopping anyone from playing the game and introducing it to new players to help generate interest at the community level?

We have made the game readily available to our distributors.  We have marketed the game with retailers and fans in the region.  We have put the systems in place for volunteer supporters to promote organized play.  We've supported ambassadors at events in regions where and when we can, and as mentioned previously, we're working for 3 sets this year to help bolster the line up.

If anyone has retailers struggling to get the game moving in their community, please have them contact us.  We are more than happy to work with anyone, and in out of the box ways to make things a success.  Ask them what you can do to help locally.  Recommend Organized Play to be held at their store. 

Above all else, we hope everyone knows we want the game to grow and are doing our best to no only deliver a great experience, but also engage and make this a true community.  Games are nothing without players, and our players, unarguably, are the best I've ever met.  We love you, and want to see more success world wide, and more fun in your hands and on your table tops.

As most of you know, I'm a passionate and transparent guy.  Feel free to ask me anything, anytime.

That's my 2 cents... or as we say internally around here... "my 2 mana" :)
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2015, 03:37:54 PM »

Hi everyone!  As VP of sales, marketing, distributor and partner relations I wanted to chime in here.

First, yes, we want to grow in the European market and no, we don't ever want to leave a market "as is".  We love our fans in Europe and I've had the pleasure of working with several of the ambassadors there who are all excellent.

Regarding fairs, shows, and events, we are a US based company and are small, we are only 5 people.  It is much more affordable to make it to local shows in the US like Origins and Gen Con than it is to get someone from our company to Essen or the UK Games Expo for example.  To give you a rough idea, for the cost of getting one person to and back from Essen, I can get an entire 20 x 20 booth and marketing at Origins.  As a fan of board gaming, there are many European small companies our size who I would love to see come to Gen Con, but simply can't do it, for very similar reasons.  I can never fault a small company for trying to spend it's money wisely this way and hope no one faults us in the same fashion.

In that light, it's why we focus so much on Ambassador relations.  Like many other competitive card games, our game thrives when supported by the community.  Last year we had several events hosted by European Ambassadors.  Jannis Grimm held gameplay events at Essen with our partner Pegasus, and this year we plan on having Chris Brett, another ambassador, at the UK Games Expo playing and teaching Mage Wars.  Just because none of us from the States make it there doesn't mean we're not trying to take advantage of opportunities in the region.

The biggest challenge I see us facing is local store organized play.  Many retailers we speak to tell us they have no one in their communities willing to step up to manage it.  This is where we need ambassador help.  If you want to see Mage Wars thrive, there is no better way than offering you FLGS some of your time to organize play groups, generate and build a community and build to organized play.

As a great example, here is a video that Jan Kriz, an ambassador of ours overseas, put together about events he's had an impact with:

https://youtu.be/AptRPtTyL9Y?t=5m30s

Do we need to release more product to keep the game from becoming stale?  Yes.  Bryan is keenly aware of the delay from a design and business standpoint.  He is a perfectionist and I don't think anyone of us wants a product that's not fun to play.  Paladin vs Siren has taken an eternity, to be as transparent as possible, and I for one think the company announced it way too soon in it's development cycle.  We're working to solve three main problems right now:

1.) Introduce more players to the game and community: We are confident new sets and the release of Academy later this year will accomplish this.

2.) Bring out more spells to keep the spellbook options fresh: We are planning on Battlegrounds, Core Spell Tome 3 and Paladin vs Siren, all this year, to accomplish this.  Battlegrounds Domination has already been announced and we are still planning the others this year.

3.) Bring out more Mages: As mentioned, Bryan and Aaron are working on the design of Paladin vs Siren, and we have the next set after PvS planned in mind already for 2016.

Regarding marketing, we have a modest budget and we use that for print and web advertising, in an effort to hit all markets.  We work to advertise in trade magazines that are seen world wide and web sites, like BGG, that have a global impact.

In addition, we have several language translations out, in motion, or coming. We have a few partners interested in beginning with Academy, since they see it as an opportune product to launch in their markets with.  Also, our European distributors all regularly acquire Mage Wars, in English, for sales to retailers in region.

While I understand the frustrations and I greatly appreciate the support form our overseas friends and fans, we look to our communities to help us grow and thrive in areas we don't have official Arcane Wonders staff located in.  Caracas, Venezuela, while yes, not in Europe, is a great example.  There is a local store there who doesn't have a local distributor.  We have worked to not only get them games, but get them set up with an Ambassador and OP and now they are regularly hosting Mage Wars events there, growing their local community. 

I will simply ask this, apart form the obvious of no new sets since Forged in Fire, what is stopping anyone from playing the game and introducing it to new players to help generate interest at the community level?

We have made the game readily available to our distributors.  We have marketed the game with retailers and fans in the region.  We have put the systems in place for volunteer supporters to promote organized play.  We've supported ambassadors at events in regions where and when we can, and as mentioned previously, we're working for 3 sets this year to help bolster the line up.

If anyone has retailers struggling to get the game moving in their community, please have them contact us.  We are more than happy to work with anyone, and in out of the box ways to make things a success.  Ask them what you can do to help locally.  Recommend Organized Play to be held at their store. 

Above all else, we hope everyone knows we want the game to grow and are doing our best to no only deliver a great experience, but also engage and make this a true community.  Games are nothing without players, and our players, unarguably, are the best I've ever met.  We love you, and want to see more success world wide, and more fun in your hands and on your table tops.

As most of you know, I'm a passionate and transparent guy.  Feel free to ask me anything, anytime.

That's my 2 cents... or as we say internally around here... "my 2 mana" :)

2 mana...like a hidden enchantment, a ring or a seeking dispel?

Thank you got posting this, it was quite reassuring and helped put things more into perspective.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2015, 04:25:10 PM »
2 mana...like a hidden enchantment, a ring or a seeking dispel?

As in my two cents.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

steack

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • http://magewarsfr.forumactif.org/
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »
hello , i am a french player and i am desesperate !!!

In french  ,  mage wars in french  has stopped by their distributor :/

no promotion , no event , in 6 month , Asmodee has stopped the distribution ..... of the core set , we haven t no traduction of Extention :/

then the  french forum continu to grothw but it s very hard with no help

for the festival in paris , " paris est ludique " i will organise some parties of mage wars , i hope interested some new players ,

if more players in Eu will attempt the same operation ,   i am sure to find more player for this fabulous game !!!

( sorry for my english )
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:43:13 AM by steack »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord