May 16, 2024, 01:33:39 PM

Author Topic: Best way to buy/start MW if you're into comp/OP  (Read 3536 times)

xJEDIx

Best way to buy/start MW if you're into comp/OP
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
Hello y'all!

I'm a happy european player of Mage Wars. This game really surprised me, a fanatic player of LCG like Game of Thrones and Android: Netrunner, and right now this game made me forget the other cool and awesome games out there.

So, I dunno if this was already being talked about (I think so but I didn't find it, sorry), but what's the best way to buy/start Mage Wars if you're into competitive or Organized Playing?

I bought 1x Core Set and 1x Spell Tome 01
What do I need to have a solid base to start building optimized Spellbooks?
Spell Tome 02 and the Forcemaster X Warlord Expansions are all in the must-buy-as-soon-as-I-can-get list, but should I need to buy another copy of each Spell Tome, for instance?

Thanks to all and great game we have here!  :woohoo:

Preacher

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to buy/start MW if you're into comp/OP
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:22:34 AM »
Hey there! Good to 'meet'  B)

My take on this is the same as other card games I've played, depends how much you want/don't want to move stuff around your spellbooks. Clearly staples and stock cards will feature in many spellbooks so singles might be the way to go.

There's a few sites (1?) starting to set up the very early stages of selling but appear to have intentionally priced themselves out of international shipping ($30 for a singles order <$75), that's a LOT for a few cards.

Also depends a bit if the new expansion includes some of these staple cards or is purely new content (certainly my preference).

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:50:29 AM »
I bought a second core set with no regret. In addition to the cards I was happy to get the extra spellbooks, dice, and markers. This still seemed a fair enough value to me.

I also bought a single copy of both core spell tomes.

While I am a few cards short of a complete play set, I have been able to build any spellbook I desired.

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
I second the positives on purchasing a second core set.  The extra markers alone are quite nice to have, let alone dice and of course the cards.  I currently have 2x Core and 2x Spell Tome 1, and I still can't quite make the perfect deck.  I suspect Spell Tome 2 would be the solution, but I can't find it locally or on Amazon yet.

At any rate, I highly recommend a second core box.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »
Quote from: "Preacher" post=6599
Hey there! Good to 'meet'  B)

My take on this is the same as other card games I've played, depends how much you want/don't want to move stuff around your spellbooks. Clearly staples and stock cards will feature in many spellbooks so singles might be the way to go.

There's a few sites (1?) starting to set up the very early stages of selling but appear to have intentionally priced themselves out of international shipping ($30 for a singles order <$75), that's a LOT for a few cards.

Also depends a bit if the new expansion includes some of these staple cards or is purely new content (certainly my preference).

I have been selling single cards for over 5 years now for various games.  I changed the prices for international shipping  a year or so ago when Paypal shipping stopped working with international orders. Oh I could go through the process of entering all the information and get charged for the shipping , but the label would never print.  I may look into changing shipping charges for internation orders, but the smallest package I use would still be $15 Minimum Shipping.

Hedge

charlesatan

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
Quote from: "xJEDIx" post=6598
Hello y'all!

I'm a happy european player of Mage Wars. This game really surprised me, a fanatic player of LCG like Game of Thrones and Android: Netrunner, and right now this game made me forget the other cool and awesome games out there.

So, I dunno if this was already being talked about (I think so but I didn't find it, sorry), but what's the best way to buy/start Mage Wars if you're into competitive or Organized Playing?

I bought 1x Core Set and 1x Spell Tome 01
What do I need to have a solid base to start building optimized Spellbooks?
Spell Tome 02 and the Forcemaster X Warlord Expansions are all in the must-buy-as-soon-as-I-can-get list, but should I need to buy another copy of each Spell Tome, for instance?

Thanks to all and great game we have here!  :woohoo:

It depends on the type of deck you want to build and how many decks you want to support.

As long as you're only building 1 very good deck for example, I think you can get by with 1x Core Set and one of each Spell Tomes (I and II), as long as you're not aiming for a deck with 4x Hand of Bim-Shala.

I'd say a more balanced one would be 2x Core Set, and 1 of each Spell Tome, which should let you build 2-3 great decks.

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »
I've got 1 core and tome 1&2, but I'm still thinking I want a second core eventually. There are simply too many spells that I want more than 1-2 of, and certainly I wnat to have more than a single "great" deck built.

It's just like any of the FF LCG's; if you're going to make what I consider the best decks possible you'll absolutely need multiple cores. The same applies here with MW.