May 06, 2024, 10:22:17 PM

Author Topic: Johktari Blockmaster  (Read 2234 times)

sshroom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Johktari Blockmaster
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:58:04 AM »
This book uses Fellella and casts many disruptive and defensive enchantments to basically try to cancel anything my opponent does. Since the enchantments are relatively cheap to reveal I should be able to bank enough mana to keep a steady stream of attack spells going with maybe a double Hurl Boulder turn in the mid game somewhere. It focuses on the mage and kills with attack spells ala the Rushmaster but maybe is a bit more stable since it has many protective cards. Ir packs a variety of elemental spells so I can use whatever is most effective. Intercepting guards will be gotten around with Force Pushes and Sniper Shots.

Johktari BM

Attack
2 Acid Ball
Flameblast
Force Hammer
2 Hurl Boulder
Lightning Bolt
Pillar of Light
Surging Wave

Conjuration
2 Bloodspine Wall
2 Mana Flower
2 Tanglevine

Creature
2 Fellella

Enchantment
Akiro's Favor
6 Block
4 Brace Yourself
Decoy
2 Fumble
Harmonize
Hawkeye
4 Jinx
Mongoose Agility
6 Nullify
2 Stumble

Equipment
Enchanter's Ring
Elemental Wand
Ivarium Longbow
Regrowth Belt

Incantations
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
2 Force Push
2 Sniper Shot
Teleport

The plan is Turn 1: (19) Fellella + Harmonize
Turn 2: (12) Fellella uses her 2 to drop a Block or Brace yourself on herself. I double Mana Flower.
Turn 3: (13) Fellella drops something on me. I either tool up one more turn (Enchanter's Ring + Hawkeye or Akiro's). Or start attacking as needed. I'll probably be spending my quickcast almost every turn to drop a second enchantment on myself Fellella or the enemy Mage. Already Looking at the list I want 2 more Jinxes. Not sure what to lose for them though.

Thoughts criticism advice or complaints are always welcome. Cheers!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:47:22 AM by sshroom »

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Johktari Blockmaster
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 05:34:19 AM »
Your entire strategy hinges on Fellella being alive and in play. That's why I think this book is not going to perform as planned most of the time.

Fellella is pretty squishy and very hard to keep alive unless you give your opponent something else to worry about that is real threatening to him and that takes his priority off Fellella.

I don't see that in this book so I'm afraid Fellella is going to be eliminated pretty fast against most aggressive/semi aggressive books.

After that, your Mage is on his own and has a severe shortage of actions.
Casting Brace Yourself or Block on yourself every round is not going work as you'll burn through your actions this way and you'll be missing actions to deal with other threats.
Some "staying" armor like Rhino Hide or some Equipment armor would be much more effective here.

Other problems I see :

How to keep enemy fliers off Fellella ?
How to deal with Cloak of Shadows ?
How to withstand a Beastmaster animal rush ?
How to deal with Wizard's Tower ?
How to deal with a walled off mage like Warlord/Grimson ?

Overall, I think you have the "start" of a good book here but you'll have to add more answers to situations which might be problematic for this book at this point.

finally, you wrote :
Intercepting guards will be gotten around with Force Pushes and Sniper Shots.

How do you get around an Interceptor with a Sniper Shot ?
Could it be that you are misinterpreting this card ?
The interceptor can still Intercept, only he won't be able to use his Defense if he has any.

And of course in the end there's only one way to know for sure what works and what doesn't : play :)
Good luck and have fun ;)

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Johktari Blockmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 05:44:08 AM »
Dont use block on fella as its vulnerable to the same kind of attacks as her defense - unavoidable.

Instead a combination of Bullstrength, Healing charm, Rhino / brace and she is very hard to kill. I would suggest only investing in 1 or 2 until you know if she is focused down or not and of course keep her positioned away.