May 06, 2024, 07:17:45 PM

Author Topic: Re: On: Openings  (Read 2245 times)

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: On: Openings
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:14:27 AM »
i thought the next would fit nicely in the theme of "fast openings", although i'm asking for advice on spellbook building : i recently played against a warlock with a Priest.  My opponent played lots of mana in his opening rounds, 2  flower + 2 crystals, so he was able to put grizzly on the table, and a little later, Adramalech ! i managed to kill grizzly, but in the end he killed me with his warlock and quite some rings of fire + drain life's (which he was able to with all his mana).  But anyway : tomorrow i will be fighting my opponent again in the arena, and again against his Warlock, but i would like to fight him with the Orc Warlord this time, with this build :

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]My Warlord v2[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Warlord Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A08]1 x Geyser[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1J22]1 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ02]1 x Archer's Watchtower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J04]1 x Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO8]1 x Gravikor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J13]2 x Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO4]1 x Ballista[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKW01]2 x Wall of Steel[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWC07]1 x Grimson Deadeye, Sniper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC07]1 x Dwarf Panzergarde[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC01]2 x Dwarf Kriegsbiel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC06]2 x Goblin Slinger[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1E31]1 x Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]1 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E01]2 x Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E02]1 x Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E28]1 x Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E32]2 x Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E05]1 x Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO17]1 x Critical Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]1 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E40]1 x Vampirism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE06]1 x Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E21]2 x Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E25]1 x Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1Q06]1 x Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q08]2 x Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO26]1 x Spiked Buckler[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPROMO15]1 x Morning Star[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q11]1 x Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q16]1 x Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q15]1 x Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MW1I02]1 x Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I07]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I23]1 x Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I15]2 x Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWPRO2]1 x Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI17]1 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI08]1 x Sniper Shot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I04]1 x Charge[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

the "aggro" strategy would be this :

round 1 : (19)
FA : move up and cast flower in starting corner (14)
QC : cast tower in NC (10)

round 2 : (20)
FA : cast grimson (5)
QC : rouse the beast on grimson (1)
FA grimson : move in tower and SHOOT (hopefully with 7 dice) !

i must admit i didn't invent this strategy, i encountered it a while ago, when playing on OCTGN...

my questions are :1) you guys think this would work against this "slow" warlock ? 2) would you start with shooting at the mage or at his mana , to disrupt his mana pool and prevent him from casting big creatures and/or expensive aggro spells ? 3) what would be a good thing to do after grimson is in place ? ( i was thinking of equipping elemental wand and casting hurl boulders at him )

i do know i'll have to finetune this so...i'm looking forward for your comments and advice !

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Re: On: Openings
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
Crimson moving and shooting is not working that well :)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

blackirishguilt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ka is a wheel.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: On: Openings
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »
i thought the next would fit nicely in the theme of "fast openings", although i'm asking for advice on spellbook building : i recently played against a warlock with a Priest.  My opponent played lots of mana in his opening rounds, 2  flower + 2 crystals, so he was able to put grizzly on the table, and a little later, Adramalech ! i managed to kill grizzly, but in the end he killed me with his warlock and quite some rings of fire + drain life's (which he was able to with all his mana).  But anyway : tomorrow i will be fighting my opponent again in the arena, and again against his Warlock, but i would like to fight him with the Orc Warlord this time, with this build :

the "aggro" strategy would be this :

round 1 : (19)
FA : move up and cast flower in starting corner (14)
QC : cast tower in NC (10)

round 2 : (20)
FA : cast grimson (5)
QC : rouse the beast on grimson (1)
FA grimson : move in tower and SHOOT (hopefully with 7 dice) !

i must admit i didn't invent this strategy, i encountered it a while ago, when playing on OCTGN...

my questions are :1) you guys think this would work against this "slow" warlock ? 2) would you start with shooting at the mage or at his mana , to disrupt his mana pool and prevent him from casting big creatures and/or expensive aggro spells ? 3) what would be a good thing to do after grimson is in place ? ( i was thinking of equipping elemental wand and casting hurl boulders at him )

i do know i'll have to finetune this so...i'm looking forward for your comments and advice !

Looking over your book, I don't think you are going to have the actions necessary to take out his mana generators, so your best shot with that build would probably be to get Grimson into a defend-able, support-able position and try to get as much damage in as possible from range while making him fight through the rest of your forces/walls.  You are basically looking to race him and make his mana advantage null, but to do that you need to start hitting first and then be rolling the same or more to keep the advantage.  If you play with that in mind it should help. 
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: On: Openings
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
If you have FiF replace Grimson with Crossbowman, change out the Star (no Defenses that I see, that need to be worked around) for a Mage Staff (Reach for LoF). Put a Bear Strength on your Mage and spring the Mage Staff at the end on the Actions Phases during his Initiative. Hit the LoF or Grizz at the end and beginning of the phases and shoot him with the Crossbowman and the LoF/Bear will crumple from the focus. If either is still around after that onslaught hit him with an Acid Ball and continue to whack on him. Piercing is really good against LoF and the Steelclaw.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest