May 06, 2024, 08:10:22 AM

Author Topic: Spellbook Challenge!  (Read 13769 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Spellbook Challenge!
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 12:36:38 AM »

I actually have a Unicorn book! Lol. And it has gotten multiple wins.

Zuberi I would totally love to see that book :D.
I was building one myself but struggled at the point if it is possible to run unicorns only. All other creatures would kill the flavour (maybe a faerie would fit in here and some glittering amulets ... )

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Pretty Unicorn[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Beastmaster Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]2 x Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]1 x Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNJ03]1 x Etherian Lifetree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWBG1J02]1 x Gravikor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J10]1 x Lair[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J01]1 x Rajan's Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J22]2 x Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J03]2 x Tooth & Nail[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1W04]2 x Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=PSC10]1 x Dorseus, Stallion of Westlock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1C20]1 x Highland Unicorn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRC06]4 x Lowland Unicorn[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRC07]1 x Meditating Monk[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWAPRE02]3 x Blessed Focus[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E03]2 x Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSE03]1 x Chant of Rage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRE04]2 x Gator Toughness[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E11]1 x Joined Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E24]1 x Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]1 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E29]1 x Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E36]1 x Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E15]2 x Tangleroot[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=LG01Q01]1 x Chitin Armor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q09]1 x Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q04]1 x Leather Chausses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01Q05]1 x Packleader's Cowl[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=LG01I01]1 x Clear Mind[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I06]1 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=PSI01]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=]2 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I21]1 x Purge Magic[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I20]1 x Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI05]1 x Remove Curse[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I24]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1I28]1 x Teleport[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I went with Beastmaster because a lot of the support I wanted was either Nature (totems, life tree, joined strength, packleader's cowl) or Dark (Marked for Death, Magebane). Also, after trying a few different versions, I think this works best with a Pet ability so it was either this or Priest for Holy Avenger. Lowland unicorns just die too fast. So I get out the two big unicorns and a Pet lowland first, and this creates a pretty good squad to get things going before all the buffs like the Life Tree are in place.

I kept Blessed Focus, which I know a lot of people will criticize. Especially when I'm already running a Nature mage and could get Bear Strength or Wolf Fury for less spb's. However, Blessed Focus is cheaper on mana and Unicorns are perfect picks for keeping at full health. Plus, I've noticed it has a psychological effect on my opponent's which I really like, in that they feel the need to smack the creature to turn off the buff.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
Yea I thought about rajans fury and the other totems to make them stronger.  Very cool build, glad to see it with a beast master.  Only thing it looks like you may have some issues with flying creatures. Maybe add a knockdown, geysers, or eagle wings.  I personally don't mind the blessed focus if you are getting use out of it and especially for only two mana.  All those unicorns regenerating and healing each other is just a beutiful thing.   Maybe Wychwood fairie would be nice to get some extra mana flow For even more enchantment discounts.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:54:02 AM by farkas1 »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
I like it!

Yea I thought about rajans fury and the other totems to make them stronger.  Very cool build, glad to see it in a beast master build.  Only thing it looks like you may have some issues with flying creatures. Maybe add a knockdown, geysers, or eagle wings.  I personally don't mind the blessed focus especially if you are getting use out of it especially for only two mana.  All those unicorns regenerating and healing each other is just a beutiful thing.   Maybe Wychwood fairie would be nice to get some extra mana flow For even more enchantment discounts.

Personally, I'd probably trade the Meditating Monk for Wychwood Faerie + Mana Flower.

Eagle Wings!! Flying unicorns for the win!

*edit* Or another option might be Gravikor + Elephant Grass: Force them to the ground and effectively get Aegis +2 on all your unicorns!

P.S. I've been using Highland and/or Lowland Unicorns in my Domination Beastmaster books for a while. They're a little pricey on sbp's, but mobile mass regen is great in that format. (And in Domination, additional creature actions are generally better than non-creature regen methods like Raincloud or Meredia's Blessing or Mohktari, although there's nothing wrong with having a mix of the above).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:22:13 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2017, 01:18:29 PM »
Nice book Zuberi and Thanks for sharing!

My last try ended with a johktari beasmaster with unicorns from a lair and fellela faerie for enchantment support as well as wychwood faerie for economie. I think faeries fit well into the theme. I had a resplendent bow with hawkeye for the mage. Pretty cool for it is cheap manawise and multifunctional with possible healing.

I like blessed focus on your book. Never thought of it.

Have you ever thought of switching to johktari? You have no level 1 animals so you could never use the quick summoning. (But as you mentioned the pet ability itself is pretty strong.)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »
The problem with wychwood fairy is it doesn't discount when the lair casts, and the lair is casting all my unicorns. If the fairy is only going discount my enchantments, I'd rather have the enchanters ring.

Elephant Grass would be a good addition. I may try to make room. I do already have Gravikor. I haven't tried the Johktari. Wounded Prey would go good with supplementing the low attacks of the unicorns, but It can't be used on the enemy mage. Plus, I really like the book best with a Pet ability. Having three strong unicorns just seems to work better than two, especially when one only costs 9 mana. But I think Johktari could be fun to try.

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »
Oh right Gravikor.  I Totally overlooked it. Solid build then. 

I rather have a mana flower but I see how that could be problematic with all the conjurations.  I still like the Wychwood Farie tho because it would be a free to cast out the enchantments with the ring.  But then if no mana flower than you need a harmonize or something else to get more mana.  With the meditation amulet, the lair, and monk plus ring you are probably really good on mana.  I think I rather use my actions doubling down on enchantments or conjurations to get out those totems.  But I do like the flexibility you have with the amulet.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster