May 16, 2024, 06:48:31 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Mondays - Episode #21 Pitfall  (Read 2245 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Mondays - Episode #21 Pitfall
« on: February 23, 2015, 06:34:30 PM »
Well Mage Warriors we're back with another Mage Wars Mondays! Today we talk about some of the pitfalls that can plague new players. Some of them can plague us to this day. Come check out Episode #21 >>HERE<<.

Enjoy and as always we're eager to hear your feedback and requests for future episodes.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Mondays - Episode #21 Pitfall
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »
My rule of thumb for economy is that I can get away with one more round of economy than my opponent did. Unless they just aren't threatening me after stopping economy for some reason, which I've seen with new players sometimes.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Mondays - Episode #21 Pitfall
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:09:57 AM »
When building a spellbook, there is a trade-off between flexibility and focus. Metaphorically speaking, it's a trade off between putting your eggs in more baskets, having more kinds of eggs for different kinds of predators and environments and with longer incubation periods but weaker eggshells, versus making stronger eggshells, having shorter incubation periods and fewer baskets for less varieties of eggs so they are all weak to the same predators and environments, but fewer of them.

Putting your eggs in one basket isn't always the inferior option. If you put all your eggs in one basket, then they all have your simultaneous undivided attention, and you don't have to split your resources between multiple baskets.

Aggro tends to have more focus and less flexibility, and control tends to have more flexibility and less focus. I think that this episode's emphasis on flexibility is misleading. After hearing this episode, many newer players will surely try to build their aggro decks with excessive flexibility and insufficient focus. You probably should correct that in the next episode if you haven't already. (my podcasts app lists episode 21 twice for some reason)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:21:23 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Mondays - Episode #21 Pitfall
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
As we went on, I was trying to make it clear that an aggressive build is going to approach that sort of "flexibility" different. You are absolutely right that spellbook building is a determining factor when looking at how you react. When you have a singular focus, you need to ensure that every spell you include helps you achieve that focus.

The idea I was trying to get across is that there are some games where you should pull back on the throttle a bit and reassess the situation, because using the same brute tactic isn't going to get you there. Now you're correct your spellbook has to have options enough to change gears like that, but it's not always about fully changing gears sometimes it's about finding the right solution to get past the current roadblock.

Sorry if this came across a bit muddled.