May 05, 2024, 09:20:17 PM

Author Topic: Eagle Wings Vs Quicksand  (Read 3093 times)

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Eagle Wings Vs Quicksand
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:36:03 PM »
What is the last chance to activate Eagle Wings in response to a creature being targeted with Quicksand? Can you activate Eagle Wings on the Counter Spell step, making it an invalid target? I assume that once the Quicksand has Resolved, you can no longer slap on some wings and fly away.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: Eagle Wings Vs Quicksand
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:57:03 PM »
During counterspell step. After that it is Resolve step and its too late.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:45:05 AM »
During counterspell step. After that it is Resolve step and its too late.

and by during you mean after.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:04:13 AM »
There are three steps when resolving a spell.

1. Casting step (here you pay mana)

2. Counter step (here you can reveal any effects which will result in countering that spell via invalid target or protection)

3. Resolving step (here you resolve any effects, deal dmg etc.)

Was this your question?

After you get quicksanded, you loose and cannot gain flying so later revealing of wings will cause no effect.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:44:20 AM »
Since enchantments can only be revealed after "things", immediately after the casting step is when to reveal it. (which happens to be the counter spell step) it makes you an invalid target for the quicksand, so the spell is countered and the quicksand caster still has to pay for it.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »
Since enchantments can only be revealed after "things", immediately after the casting step is when to reveal it. (which happens to be the counter spell step) it makes you an invalid target for the quicksand, so the spell is countered and the quicksand caster still has to pay for it.

Enchantments can only be revealed between steps. While there is exceptions to this, this is the basic rule to apply.
(exceptions could be nullify or block which has this specified in the text on the cards.)

So eagle wings can be revealed between step 1 and 2.  Or between step 2 and step 3
After step 3, the creature will be restrained and cannot gain flying - Though you can reveal eagle wings here with no effect before quicksand is destroyed.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:28:29 PM »
If you look at the counter spell step in 3.3 it says that some spell have the ability to be revealed during the counter spell step. So if an enchant does not have the ability to directly counter spells it can not be revealed.

I was looking over a bunch of files getting ready for Gencon and I noticed something. So hold on this for now. I will have an answer some time this week
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:06:00 AM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage