May 03, 2024, 04:37:46 PM

Author Topic: Mind Control!!  (Read 2780 times)

MW United

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mind Control!!
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:52:14 AM »
Hey guys

Just a quick question regarding mind control.

The spell reads the target must remain upto 1 zone away from the caster.

The question is what happens if the creature is teleported away from the caster to two or more zones away??

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Mind Control!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
Hey guys

The question is what happens if the creature is teleported away from the caster to two or more zones away??

That's not what the card reads. 

[mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard]

The controller of Mind Control must be within 1 zone of Mind Control when it is revealed.  After that, it doesn't matter how far away the creature / Mind Control is from its controller.  As far as I can tell, you could even [mwcard=MW1I01]Banish[/mwcard] the creature and it would come back under the Mind Control controller's control... although one might wonder why you bothered paying the upkeep while it was out of the arena.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
Hey guys

That's not what the card reads. 

[mwcard=FWE07]Mind Control[/mwcard]

The controller of Mind Control must be within 1 zone of Mind Control when it is revealed.  After that, it doesn't matter how far away the creature / Mind Control is from its controller.  As far as I can tell, you could even [mwcard=MW1I01]Banish[/mwcard] the creature and it would come back under the Mind Control controller's control... although one might wonder why you bothered paying the upkeep while it was out of the arena.

To be fair, the wording is a bit ambiguous. This interpretation is the correct one, but I can easily see a case being made for the OP's interpretation (due mostly to the inadvisable use of "and", which can be interpreted to mean that the second clause of the second sentence is not related to the first clause).

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
To be fair, the wording is a bit ambiguous. This interpretation is the correct one, but I can easily see a case being made for the OP's interpretation (due mostly to the inadvisable use of "and", which can be interpreted to mean that the second clause of the second sentence is not related to the first clause).

Better wording might have been "Mind Control may only be revealed between Action Phases while its controller is within 1 zone of Mind Control" - or something like that.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster