May 15, 2024, 12:01:49 AM

Author Topic: Major Vs Minor  (Read 5077 times)

CobaltGray

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Major Vs Minor
« on: June 17, 2016, 03:43:34 PM »
Quick question (with apologies if its been asked before or obvious).

What defines a minor vs major creature. In Academy the rulebook defines major and minor spells (> level 2 or <= level 2). It also talks about stagger with major and minor creatures. Is this the same thing? Where is it in the rulebook please?
Thanks

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Major Vs Minor
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »
Hey there,

Just for reference here is the rulebook for major/minor creatures ---> http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources/Academy_Rulebook.pdf

On page 24 they list major and minor as terms.

Major - A spell of level 3 or higher

Minor - A Level 1 or 2 spell

Creatures are considered a type of spell (page 15 of the rulebook) so a minor creature is level 1 or 2, while major creatures are level 3 or higher. Hope that helps! Happy gaming!

tl;dr - It is the same thing.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 03:57:47 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

CobaltGray

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 03:59:36 PM »
Awesome - thanks

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »
Just to clarify...if something was level 2 Holy and level 1 nature...is it considered the highest single level (2) or combined level (3)?

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 04:41:19 PM »
Just to clarify...if something was level 2 Holy and level 1 nature...is it considered the highest single level (2) or combined level (3)?

It would be the sum of all levels (3)
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »
Would it be a considered a Minor Holy Creature and a Major Creature overall or no? I'm not sure if there ever will be anything that specifically can target a minor school creature, just curious again.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »
Would it be a considered a Minor Holy Creature and a Major Creature overall or no? I'm not sure if there ever will be anything that specifically can target a minor school creature, just curious again.

Not that I'm aware of. For simplicity's sake, I believe it's just considered a minor or major spell/creature overall
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 01:10:01 AM »
Shark is correct.  A 2/1 creature is considered a level 3 creature for the purposes of spell effects and creature abilities. A level 2 nature / level 1 water spell is a level 3 spell and is considered a water spell as well as a nature spell.  However, for purposes of spell book creation, the Druid only pays 3 points to add it to her book.

Schools of magic are a different category of minor and major.  No spell or game effect currently cares whether your spell belongs to a major or minor school of magic--it's merely a lore designation and (correct me if I'm wrong) a measure of how robust the scope of that school is meant to be.  I believe that the elemental schools are the only ones designated as "minor" at this juncture.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 06:47:09 PM »

It is considered a Major (based on total level) Holy and Nature (based on schools involved) creature. It would never be a Minor creature, and it would always be both a Holy creature and Nature creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 08:33:55 AM »
Banana Sticker Explosion!

Yes, Major is level 3 or higher and Minor is level 1 or 2. Yes, you look at the total level of a card to determine if it is Major or Minor.