May 15, 2024, 08:44:08 PM

Author Topic: Replacement Cards?  (Read 5016 times)

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Replacement Cards?
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:44:30 AM »
Now that the FAQ is out and has confirmed the corrected wording on many cards (Malacoda and Idol of Pestilence I'm looking at you), are you planning on doing something to enable us to get 'corrected' versions of these cards?  A mail away offer, or perhaps bundled into a future expansion.
Don't wanna come off like a douche :), but I like to have the correct stuff, and if I can get it at all, I would like to.  Means I don't have to memorise errata for one...

Koy

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement Cards?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »
There was a night back in the mid 90s my gaming group was doing our thing, playing Magic until the wee hours of dawn when it occurred to us that we all had full-sized three ring binders stuffed full of printed errata that we had to have to play the game.  It was not a fun realization and likely contributed to the downfall of that game's primacy with our circle.

While I do not think this new shiny FAQ for Mage Wars is the same thing exactly, it does give me a bad vibe that one expansion in there is now a host of actual rule changes, card changes, and errata piling up to play the game.

Some of that is simply unavoidable as the designers innovate and add new systems to the game, and I not only understand that but welcome it.  However... I echo Sausageman's request for some way to get this info on the cards themselves to keep the game easy to play and teach.  Nothing kills a new player's interest more than trying to learn a game and constantly having their understanding of the game upset with seemingly random rules lawyering read from some dubious print out or web forum.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:10:52 AM »
From my perspective, I've only had the game since Christmas and already some of my cards are incorrect...  I've got several people round these parts hooked, and one friend has bought the core set and both tomes (and now the expansion) and 1 copy of his cards IS the correct printing, though I can't say if this came from the tome or the core set.
Either way, they HAVE corrected the cards so it would be nice for us 'early adopters' (not that I necessarily consider myself that) to be able to get them too.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:10:35 AM »
I dont mind....But I am supper used to errata.That and no one in my group would let me forget it if I got something wrong! How AW operates, I bet they will fix it and give you a letter of apology.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
All,

I hear ya. We are extremely busy getting some product to print this week, but we will try to determine the best way to fix this shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 06:42:15 AM »
Personally I have no problems working off a card errata document I have been doing it of nearly 20 years with other games. It is nothing new. It is simply not feasible to ask you to reprint cards every time the wording is changed. I have 4 base sets and 2 FM / War sets I do not expect to get reprints. What other companies have done in the past is post wording changes to a document that is online and can be viewed without downloading. But they also have a copy that can be downloaded.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 08:19:33 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=8825
Personally I have no problems working off a card errata document I have been doing it of nearly 20 years with other games. It is nothing new. It is simply not feasible to ask you to reprint cards every time the wording is changed. I have 4 base sets and 2 FM / War sets I do not expect to get reprints. What other companies have done in the past is post wording changes to a document that is online and can be viewed without downloading. But they also have a copy that can be downloaded.

Most errata comes about when some cards 'break'. The errata we are seeing seems to be stuff that's come about from playtesting and has been 'tweaked' but missed in the print run. The fact that this is already appearing in current print runs adds weight to this.

Also, I can think of several companies that provided replacement cards where there were errors. Decipher did it with their Star Wars CCG when a card had an incorrect image. Fantasy flight Games have done it for several of their board games, etc.

I'm sincerely hoping that there won't be many errata'd cards in the future, certainly not enough to make it unfeasible to 'repair' anyway.  There's already a healthy learning in the game, without adding a huge list of errata to it. 'Oh, that card doesn't work like that' is a friend to no-one...

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
First and foremost Arcane Wonders is a business and I am sure we all want the important qualifer "successfull" to stay in front of it. So if errata updated cards would keep this from happening, it is not worth it to me.

With that said, I have mutiple copies of Dispel and while tuning my FM spellbook noticed different wording on them. I am not sure if that is a FMvW or a Core Tome 1/2 thing. The wording is more precise but I do not need to replace the older copies. Now if there was a card and stats (HP/Armor/Level/etc) are wrong then there might be a justification for a new card....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 08:42:20 AM »
Well I mean if they were going to "fix" it. I would hope they would just put the cards in as extras in a new expansion. Any thing else would just be ridicules.
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 08:52:34 AM »
Which as I was saying, is what they have done with Dispel.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 09:42:24 AM »
Quote from: "sIKE" post=8839
First and foremost Arcane Wonders is a business and I am sure we all want the important qualifer "successfull" to stay in front of it. So if errata updated cards would keep this from happening, it is not worth it to me.

With that said, I have mutiple copies of Dispel and while tuning my FM spellbook noticed different wording on them. I am not sure if that is a FMvW or a Core Tome 1/2 thing. The wording is more precise but I do not need to replace the older copies. Now if there was a card and stats (HP/Armor/Level/etc) are wrong then there might be a justification for a new card....

I can agree with you on this.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage