May 10, 2024, 12:47:53 AM

Author Topic: Corrode and Fortified Position.  (Read 12577 times)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Corrode and Fortified Position.
« on: June 03, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »
You are affected by Fortified Position and have 2 corrode markers on you.

If you move to another zone your armor drop to 0, so you lose the Corrode markers, but if you move to a zone with another Fortified Position, do you drop to 0 armor inbetween the zones or you stay at 2 the whole time and keep the Corrode markers?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Corrode and Fortified Position.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »
Currently I would say creatures can never be between zones so the armor would never drop to 0
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

lettucemode

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:17:19 PM »
The rules supplement's section on movement does not allow for creatures being in between zones, nor does it allow for "time" in between the creature leaving one zone and entering the next. So I agree with Shad0w.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »
So I think the question is as the creature moves from one zone to another does it loose the Armor granted by the enchantment and gain it from the other? If so does that constitute having no armor if this is the only armor the creature had?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
It's very important that - at all times - a creature is only ever in one zone. Also, a creature must always be in a zone (except in the case of Banish, which has its own rules text). As long as the creature is in play, the question "What zone is this creature in?" needs to have an answer. When a creature follows the movement steps, there is no step where the creature is not in one of the two zones, so there should not be a time where the +2 Armor is avoided.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »
No argument there, creatures are always in a zone (other than when banished), the question is around zone effects and moving between zones. When I leave a zone with Fortified Position to a zone without a Fortified Position in play it is very simple you loose the Armor +2 and not much more thought is and would not be given to this fact. However when moving between two zones with the same zone effect at some point you technically have to drop the zone effect from Zone A and apply the zone effect from Zone B. The way Corrode is worded when going from A to B would you ever be at 0 Armor? I think not and think that the design intent would state that its a kinda of magic like two overlapping blankets....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:15:36 PM by sIKE »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »
And what about the situation where your first move action is from a zone with Fortified Position to a non-enchanted zone? Do you lose the corrode markers immediately so that you can then return to the Fortified Zone with your second move action and end up with +2 armor but without any corrode marker?

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »
And what about the situation where your first move action is from a zone with Fortified Position to a non-enchanted zone? Do you lose the corrode markers immediately so that you can then return to the Fortified Zone with your second move action and end up with +2 armor but without any corrode marker?

yes

Another example for the same situation:

Two Bitterwood Foxes, with one corrode condition each, are in the same zone as Red Claw Alpha Male. If Red Claw moves out of the zone, each fox will lose 1 point of armor and the corrode marker as per corrode. If Red Claw uses the second move action to return to the zone, they get the point of armor back.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:04:30 PM by Kharhaz »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
sIKE, which zone would you be in when you lost the corrode marker?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 09:11:54 PM »
Since I do the stuff on OCTGN I have to think along the lines of code. I would have to zero out the armor from one zone and then add it back from the other zone, so 2-2 then 0+2 so in-between those operations I would be at zero, that is when....until I put in "unless" logic. Hence why I am being so pedantic around this question.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »
Or, depending on how the code is written, calculate the new modifier for the creature's position, then overwrite the old with the new.

Quote from: FAQ
Move Action
When a creature moves from one zone to another, there is a specific sequence of events which must be followed. A creature might move to a new zone by taking a move action, or it might be Pushed or Teleported. Regardless as to how it moves to the new zone, it follows the move sequence below, although some parts or steps might be irrelevant. For example, a Teleport bypasses Walls and ignores Step 3 below.
1. Declare Move
Choose which zone the creature will move to. Check to see if the move is possible (for example, make sure no wall will block the move), and make sure the creature has an available action and is not Restrained, Rooted or Incapacitated. If you discover you made a mistake and the creature cannot be moved (for example, the wall is “Passage Blocks”, not “Passage Attacks”), you can cancel the move action and choose a different action instead. Then, pay any costs associated with the move (taking damage, or paying Suppression Orb's mana cost, etc.). At this time the move is committed to. If you cannot pay all of the costs, the move is cancelled, and you have lost the action.
2. Leaving Zone Effects
Some spells or abilities might have an effect which triggers when a creature is leaving a zone. Note that there currently are no “Leaving Zone” effects in the game, but future ones will be added.
3. Walls
The creature encounters any intervening walls (unless it is Teleporting, in which case it ignores walls).
If a creature has been Pushed into a wall with the Passage Blocks trait, it becomes Bashed and receives a Bash Attack now. If the creature is moving through a wall with the Passage Attacks trait, it conducts that attack at this time.
4. Move to New Zone
The creature must be moved into the new zone. It is possible that a wall attack might Restrain or Incapacitate a creature, in which case it will not be able to complete its move action, and will not be able to move into the new zone. See “Walls” below.
5. Entering Zone Triggers
Any spells, abilities, or effects which trigger for a creature entering a zone occur at this time. Examples include a trap or Mangler Caltrops spell. You do not get a chance to reveal enchantments after each of the 4 events above, like you do with the attack and casting sequences. (However, if there is a wall attack, you can reveal enchantments after each Step of the attack as normal. See “Walls” below.) If a creature becomes unable to move during the move action, it stops the move sequence at that point, and the rest of the move action is canceled. For example, a creature could become Restrained from a “Leaving Zone Effect”. If this happens, the rest of the move action is canceled, and it will not encounter any walls, nor actually be moved into the new zone.

The zone change happens in step 4. The Armor is not a caused by a trigger, it's a conditional trait. If, at any time, the creature satisfies the condition ("in this zone") it has the Armor +2 trait.

Now, the truth is that I'm not completely sure that this is how it works, but I'm very sure we don't want to start resolving conditional traits as actions, because it'll break other stuff. Conditional traits can't happen, they just have to be a consequence of something else that happens.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 12:40:05 AM »
Or, depending on how the code is written, calculate the new modifier for the creature's position, then overwrite the old with the new.
True...

The zone change happens in step 4. The Armor is not a caused by a trigger, it's a conditional trait. If, at any time, the creature satisfies the condition ("in this zone") it has the Armor +2 trait.

Now, the truth is that I'm not completely sure that this is how it works, but I'm very sure we don't want to start resolving conditional traits as actions, because it'll break other stuff. Conditional traits can't happen, they just have to be a consequence of something else that happens.
I am not disagreeing with anything you said here, and it satisfies any logic conditions (replacing one with the other) that I might bump into. Thematically it is easy to envision the sparkling effect covering both zones.....

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
Quote from: FAQ
Move Action
When a creature moves from one zone to another, there is a specific sequence of events which must be followed. A creature might move to a new zone by taking a move action, or it might be Pushed or Teleported. Regardless as to how it moves to the new zone, it follows the move sequence below, although some parts or steps might be irrelevant. For example, a Teleport bypasses Walls and ignores Step 3 below.
1. Declare Move
Choose which zone the creature will move to. Check to see if the move is possible (for example, make sure no wall will block the move), and make sure the creature has an available action and is not Restrained, Rooted or Incapacitated. If you discover you made a mistake and the creature cannot be moved (for example, the wall is “Passage Blocks”, not “Passage Attacks”), you can cancel the move action and choose a different action instead. Then, pay any costs associated with the move (taking damage, or paying Suppression Orb's mana cost, etc.). At this time the move is committed to. If you cannot pay all of the costs, the move is cancelled, and you have lost the action.
2. Leaving Zone Effects
Some spells or abilities might have an effect which triggers when a creature is leaving a zone. Note that there currently are no “Leaving Zone” effects in the game, but future ones will be added.
3. Walls
The creature encounters any intervening walls (unless it is Teleporting, in which case it ignores walls).
If a creature has been Pushed into a wall with the Passage Blocks trait, it becomes Bashed and receives a Bash Attack now. If the creature is moving through a wall with the Passage Attacks trait, it conducts that attack at this time.
4. Move to New Zone
The creature must be moved into the new zone. It is possible that a wall attack might Restrain or Incapacitate a creature, in which case it will not be able to complete its move action, and will not be able to move into the new zone. See “Walls” below.
5. Entering Zone Triggers
Any spells, abilities, or effects which trigger for a creature entering a zone occur at this time. Examples include a trap or Mangler Caltrops spell. You do not get a chance to reveal enchantments after each of the 4 events above, like you do with the attack and casting sequences. (However, if there is a wall attack, you can reveal enchantments after each Step of the attack as normal. See “Walls” below.) If a creature becomes unable to move during the move action, it stops the move sequence at that point, and the rest of the move action is canceled. For example, a creature could become Restrained from a “Leaving Zone Effect”. If this happens, the rest of the move action is canceled, and it will not encounter any walls, nor actually be moved into the new zone.

I would rule by the way the passage is worded that there is no gap between on effect falls off and the next one applies
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 02:53:47 PM »
The way it is worded is you can't reveal enchantment during movement, unless the wall make an attack. Now I wonder, could you reveal a Fortified Position n the starting movement zone to gain armor?

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
Not losing the Corrode(s) going directly from one location with Armor +x to another makes sense in terms of the previous ruling on the effect of being pushed through a wall from a zone where there is Armor +... the additional armor is retained even when receiving the passage attacks of walls.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess