May 10, 2024, 09:49:55 AM

Author Topic: Several Resolve effects - Magebane&Dispell - Purify&Poisen Blood&divine Reward  (Read 15496 times)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
To my knowledge:
A revealed Magebane does one last damage when its dispelled.
Correct?

If a Priestess uses a purify to get rid of a poisened blood, will she get the divine reward hp or not (assuming its the first holy inc / ench she casts this round.) ?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
No to first question, yes to second one.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
No to first question, yes to second one.

thanks.

But why is it so?

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Because thete is not "inbetween" to a Resolve phase. If a Dispel is Resolved, it means the enchantment is gone completly.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Because thete is not "inbetween" to a Resolve phase. If a Dispel is Resolved, it means the enchantment is gone completly.
[mwcard=MW1E24]Magebane[/mwcard] states that the mage takes a point of direct damage when a spell is cast and resolved. So even when you Dispel the Magebane you take damage as both results ate triggered during the Resolve spell step, the direct damage and the dispel of the card.

The same hold true for Poisoned Blood and Purify both the removal and the Life Gain happen during the Resolve Spell step, just think of it as you getting to choose the order of the two results.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
[mwcard=MW1E24]Magebane[/mwcard] states that the mage takes a point of direct damage when a spell is cast and resolved. So even when you Dispel the Magebane you take damage as both results ate triggered during the Resolve spell step, the direct damage and the dispel of the card.

The same hold true for Poisoned Blood and Purify both the removal and the Life Gain happen during the Resolve Spell step, just think of it as you getting to choose the order of the two results.

Check in the FAQ. Dispelled Magebane doesnt trigger damage.

Magebane doesnt trigger during Resolve phase. It trigger AFTER a spell Resolve. And if Dispel Resolve, Magebane doesnt exist anymore.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:46:53 AM by Wildhorn »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Because thete is not "inbetween" to a Resolve phase. If a Dispel is Resolved, it means the enchantment is gone completly.[mwcard=MW1E24]Magebane[/mwcard] states that the mage takes a point of direct damage when a spell is cast and resolved. So even when you Dispel the Magebane you take damage as both results ate triggered during the Resolve spell step, the direct damage and the dispel of the card.

The same hold true for Poisoned Blood and Purify both the removal and the Life Gain happen during the Resolve
Spell step, just think of it as you getting to choose the order of the two results.

Magebane doesnt trigger during Resolve phase. It trigger AFTER a spell Resolve. And if Dispel Resolve, Magebane doesnt exist anymore.
Thanks! I missed that update in the FAQ, at one point early one I asked this exact question and was provided the answer I gave above.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile

The intent was inorder for Dispell and MB to interact Dispell has to start resolving creating the delayed trigger.

Cleaned up wording
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 02:31:26 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
I'm personally a little confused on this subject. The FAQ does indeed say that Magebane doesn't trigger until after the resolve spell step, but it also states specifically that it does cause damage when dispelled. This doesn't quite make sense to me.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
I'm personally a little confused on this subject. The FAQ does indeed say that Magebane doesn't trigger until after the resolve spell step, but it also states specifically that it does cause damage when dispelled. This doesn't quite make sense to me.

Are you sure? Last time i checked faq im pretty sure I read that it did not.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
I downloaded the most recent version before reviewing my thread on questions not answered in official documents, and noticed the discrepancy while performing that review today.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Mage_Wars_Official_Rules_and_Codex_Supplement_-_Updated_January_2014

Magebane
Magebane deals its damage after the spell that triggered it has been resolved. For example, when this creature casts a spell, you could reveal this at the end of the Counter Spell Step, and then at the end of Resolve Spell Step, after the spell resolves, this creature will take 1 direct damage. If the Mage destroys Magebane with a Dispel, it will still do a point of damage to him for casting the Dispel. In a duel, if a Mage casts a spell that kills the opposing Mage, and then dies due to Magebane damage, the game is a draw.

Where does this leave purify and divine reward against poisened blood?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
The FAQ has been updated since January. The most recent update was March 14th 2014. However, the quote that jacksmack has about Magebane remains identical. It has not been changed. And to be honest, this still leaves me confused about Magebane, much less Divine Reward. If Magebane triggers after the spell resolves, and can trigger after it is no longer even in the game, then does Poisoned Blood's effect still linger to prevent the Life Gain from Divine Reward (which also occurs after the spell resolves)? I don't know.

It would make sense to me that Dispelling a Magebane does not cause damage and Purifying a Poisoned Blood would allow Life Gain from Divine Reward because both effects trigger after the spell has resolved, meaning Magebane and Poisoned Blood would no longer be in the game to have any effect. However, the official word both supports this theory and contradicts it within a few short sentences, putting the whole thing in question.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
I will look into this more. However, as it sits now Poisoned Blood would not stop life gain from divine reward when you purified it off.

The difference is on Magebane the trigger is Cast and Resolved, which in order for dispel to remove an enchantment it would have to resolve. This triggers the Magebane, the magebane gets destroyed, but that trigger is standing out there an then it resolves.

For Poisoned Blood, finite life is a constant effect. When you go to Purify it, you'll trigger your divine reward. The reward will resolve after the Poisoned Blood is removed, hence you no longer have finite life. So you would gain a life from this.

The key seems to be which action is being triggered.

As I said, I'm going to look into this more, but I believe this is the thought right now.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
If that is the way you guys wish for this to occur, I think you could simplify your explanation. Essentially, what sIKE said earlier would be the best way to say it in my opinion. The two effects happen simultaneously, and like with most everything else when that occurs, you get to choose which order to resolve them in. With Magebane, the order chosen wouldn't really matter because they HAVE to resolve both events that triggered and the card destruction and damage don't really affect each other. With Divine Reward, they would obviously wish to remove the Poisoned Blood before attempting to gain the life.

Currently, the way it is stated in the FAQ it sounds like the effects would happen after the card had been destroyed rather than simultaneously with it, which would prevent Magebane from dealing it's damage methinks. It needs to be made clear that it triggers simultaneously with the spell resolution. Having the word "after" in the description of Magebane in the FAQ is a bit confusing.