May 10, 2024, 05:06:29 AM

Author Topic: Goblin builder can't actually reconstruct walls?  (Read 12191 times)

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin builder can't actually reconstruct walls?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 01:25:18 PM »
Until it gets a errata or a new printing in tourneys it is play as worded
Have you ever seen it played in tourneys? To what effect?

I have not seen it but that does not mean that somebody some place has not tried.  :P

Indeed, no. And yet, I'm willing to bet you've seen quite a lot of other cards played... which makes me suspect that this card is pretty weak, and almost always worse than another card.

It's possible that with the new warlord deck, this creature has become more viable. A useful way to spend mana from construction yard, perhaps. But I suspect it's still weak.

The suggestion that it can't even heal a paltry 1 from a wall is the least of its problems. The greater problem is that its conjurations have no range, and that they take a full round, meaning that playing the goblin builder effectively throws away a number of actions early on, a time when the warlord is particularly vulnerable, and when it can ill afford to waste moves.

The sadness about this card is that it could be a great tool in the emerging creatures-conjurations focus of the warlord. A class defining creature, in fact. It's as though they designed it, then got scared of it, and clipped its wings too far.

I would love to see it meet its potential - because I think it could be a pivotal card.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:30:19 PM by Mrmt »

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 01:31:12 AM »
I just finished a game with my goblin swarm book. It still needs more polishing but i can tell you, that goblin builder could be sometimes underrated for no reason.

First of all, it depends on a meta in your area and what kind of player is against you. My first Goblin Builder draw so much attention in his distant corner with his wall of earth (i somewhat still calling that card pile of dirt :) ) just because that my oponent was sure, that statue of talos will be build there. He was druid and that wall pretty ignored his wine marker attempts. I was also lucky, that my opponent fully accepts that goblins actually can repair walls.  (still need to be confirmed).

Also, builder is a soldier. Very weak soldier indeed, but still soldier and numbers are what counts in my swarm build. I didnt cast akiros battle cry but thanks to horn of ghotos, piercing was what counts against druid with veteran belt, barkskin...

I loose, i loose but not because of Goblin Builder. There are no bad cards, just less usefull.

I would really like to hear its (goblin builders) design story. I trust in playtesters. Maybe there was a point where goblin builders was building war machines (other then akiros hammer or ballista :) ) and dominate every game :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
As long as [mwcard=FWC04] Goblin Builder[/mwcard] says in his zone he cannot repair walls
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »
I know! we just need a medic-type soldier, which can carry a creature from one zone to another. If he carried the goblin builder, it could build a new zone exclusive every turn.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »
Why would the medic carry him? Why not just heal the builder where he is? And why would a medic carry him anywhere BUT the hospital? We would need a hospital conjuration. Regardless, a medic couldn't take him wherever you want him to go.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 11:16:59 PM »
btw medic means a lot of things to a lot of people, so i meant a battlefield Paramedic with the stretcher and all that.
Why would the medic carry him? Why not just heal the builder where he is? And why would a medic carry him anywhere BUT the hospital? We would need a hospital conjuration. Regardless, a medic couldn't take him wherever you want him to go.
He's no doctor, or he'd cost more mana and be less effective than healing magic. He only has the expertise to keep the patient stable while in transit. And the medic will drive patients where I tell him to! It's more important that the goblin builds me a cathedral than survives his burns. We will need a hospital outpost conjuration too which functions as a full action [mwcard=FWJ08] Renewing Spring[/mwcard] but also offers palliative care, occupational therapy, and a gift shop. This is getting complicated.

I am joking by the way.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 11:32:13 PM »
Hospitals and Cathedras should be peaceful and any fights within are against the Geneva Convention. As is Poison Gas Cloud but no one cares #worldpeace
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Goblin Builder - ruling
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »
Finally got a ruling from Aaron Brosman on this.

Goblin builder cannot repair walls and stays as he is.

Useful to know, as I can now happily abandon these cards as a lost cause and focus on using different ones instead!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:03:56 PM by Mrmt »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Builder - ruling
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
This is a shame!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »
Yep. They may look at it later, but for the time being it stands, and they are inclined to leave it.

Since this means the warlord builder-based conjuration playstyle is now off the table (ie the potential synergy of builder/Otto/construction yard), it frees me to focus on my warlock instead. It's something of a relief to finally rid myself of this pipedream!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:21:25 PM by Mrmt »

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 05:21:55 PM »
He can still "repair" walls by building a new one when one is destroyed. altar of carnage and construction yard can help

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 01:50:49 AM »
Finally got a ruling from Aaron Brosman on this.

Goblin builder cannot repair walls and stays as he is.

Useful to know, as I can now happily abandon these cards as a lost cause and focus on using different ones instead!

Please do not make a new thread when we already have a thread on this topic. I already merged your thread into the other thread.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 05:36:21 PM »
It is very sad to read they no longer plan to "fix" the builder. I know errata is not taken lightly but I am of the opinion this creature needs it. An otherwise great creature made much less great because of a rules oversight. :(
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »
It is very sad to read they no longer plan to "fix" the builder. I know errata is not taken lightly but I am of the opinion this creature needs it. An otherwise great creature made much less great because of a rules oversight. :(

This topic is closed for now please let it go. 8)

Mrmt

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »

This topic is closed for now please let it go. 8)

Seems a little harsh.

I think fan fora work best when fans are allowed to freely express their views, as long as it's in a constructive civilized manner.

His post was entirely politely worded!