May 20, 2024, 08:19:40 AM

Author Topic: Forcefield vs unavoid. attk  (Read 9490 times)

Deatheux

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Forcefield vs unavoid. attk
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:10:04 PM »
ok, it might be already asked, but, do the forcefield ignores a unavoid. attk?

thx

fun fact: this question can be answered by YES or NO!!

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Forcefield vs unavoid. attk
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:54:39 PM »
Yes

And here is why:

Unavoidable in this game (see codex) Means defenses cannot be used vs this attack.

Forcefield is not a defense. A defense has a special icon, and uses the effect die for rolling to see if the defense is succesful or not.

Forcefield Works BEFORE the avoid attackstep and do NOT roll the effect die.

Unavoidable Works during avoid attack step - so to speak -  to prevent the attacked creature using a defence.
(block and reverse attack is also affected by unavoidable.)

edit:
bonus info -
The above also Means that if a forcemaster with forcefield attacks a warlock with reverse attack, then the forcefield will not stop the reverse attack because we are past "before the avoid attack step" as that is where reverse attack gets revealed.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:57:33 PM by jacksmack »

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:15:34 PM »
Yes

And here is why:

Unavoidable in this game (see codex) Means defenses cannot be used vs this attack.

Forcefield is not a defense. A defense has a special icon, and uses the effect die for rolling to see if the defense is succesful or not.

Forcefield Works BEFORE the avoid attackstep and do NOT roll the effect die.

Unavoidable Works during avoid attack step - so to speak -  to prevent the attacked creature using a defence.
(block and reverse attack is also affected by unavoidable.)

edit:
bonus info -
The above also Means that if a forcemaster with forcefield attacks a warlock with reverse attack, then the forcefield will not stop the reverse attack because we are past "before the avoid attack step" as that is where reverse attack gets revealed.

This is correct. Well stated. I think it is also worth mentioning that Block does nothing against unavoidable attacks.
"See you space cowboy..."

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »
so that would imply forcefield can ignore all aoe skills making it the only card in the game to give you 100% chance of avoiding damage.

side question would double and triple strike remove 2 and 3 tokens respectfully 
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:43:28 PM »

side question would double and triple strike remove 2 and 3 tokens respectfully

The Forcefield is triggered "whenever you are attacked" and doublestrike/triplestrike count as "additional attacks." So the answer is yes.

I can't help thinking that the Warlord creature Ludwig Boltstorm was designed specifically to be used against the Forcemaster for this very reason; Ludwig Boltstorm has a triplestrike ranged attack.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »
Force Pushing the Forcemaster through Wall of Thorns is the dream solution (all mages are  level 6 creatures). 5 attacks, no waiting. Sadly, it's hard to do in actual practice because the wall tends to die.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
You just cast Wall of Thorns right before you cast Force Push.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »
and then the force master users her force pull to take you through it as well
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:33:25 PM »
Force Pull doesn't pull you through passage attack walls, she doesn't have line of sight, and you can move away from Wall of Thorns when you cast it anyway.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 12:27:36 AM »
Force Pull doesn't pull you through passage attack walls, she doesn't have line of sight, and you can move away from Wall of Thorns when you cast it anyway.

Wall of Pikes, very different story!

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 12:51:16 AM »
I like Wall of Thorns much more than Wall of Pikes. Wall of Pikes just doesn't seem good enough at position control (doesn't block line of sight, only works on one side, and doesn't take a full action to move through), it's damage potential is much lower against mages, and it's much worse against Forcefield.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 12:58:24 AM »
I like Wall of Thorns much more than Wall of Pikes. Wall of Pikes just doesn't seem good enough at position control (doesn't block line of sight, only works on one side, and doesn't take a full action to move through), it's damage potential is much lower against mages, and it's much worse against Forcefield.

I learned everything you just said the hard way. I'm not much of a "wall player," but the only wall I like is Wall of Stone. I would rather rely on walls for blocking passage and LoS than to deal damage.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 01:05:45 AM »
I like basic LOS blocking walls.. even a simple Fog Bank can disrupt LOS between a mage and his Battleforge, making him unable to take advantage of the extra actions/equips that he was counting on.

I always run some sort of wall in just about every build just for harassing ranged units like Gorgon Archers (who are slow and then have to drag around them), to block wizards LOS from things they want to teleport, to block off LOS from Temple of Light, .. as far as Ive seen its honestly one of the most under utilized and most important aspects of disruption.  An etherial Wall outright ruins Akiros Hammer too, which is fun.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:13:06 AM by baronzaltor »

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 01:10:22 AM »
An etherial Wall outright ruins Akiros Hammer too, which is fun.

I think if your opponent is playing Akiro's Hammer you are already at an advantage  ;D

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 01:17:21 AM »
An etherial Wall outright ruins Akiros Hammer too, which is fun.

I think if your opponent is playing Akiro's Hammer you are already at an advantage  ;D

When someone drops Akiro's Hammer, my immediate thought is that it's time to go kill them regardless of what else is going on in the game.