May 04, 2024, 09:43:29 AM

Author Topic: Voltari Gate  (Read 12140 times)

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Voltari Gate
« on: August 20, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »
I paused the Dicetower review to read this card, and I'm not sure I understand it. It has channeling so it provides its own mana, but also gets mana when an opponent does something. No problem so far. The part I don't get is whenever you get 3 mana on it you can summon a creature. Is this different than other spawnpoints? I don't recall a threshold on Lair for example. So let's say you have 3 mana, is this creature now free or do you still make up the difference? Basically, I'm confused as to why there's a threshold on summoning when none of the other spawnpoints seem to have one.

patrickconnor

Re: Voltari Gate
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
No, the creature is not free. You must pay the difference.

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »
Do you have to have 3 mana on it to use it? You can use Battleforge with only 1.

patrickconnor

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »
That would be correct. (on both accounts)

O/W the Gate would get crazy amounts of mana building up. 1 for Channeling, 2 if your opponent plays 2 spells.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:31:39 AM »
i have used the gate quite a bit with my wizard, you generate 2 mana if your opponent casts 2 spells, 1 mana that it generates itself and 1 mana for harmonize (you did remember to cast harmonize on it didnt you? :::grins:::)
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 10:34:49 AM »
Another follow-up question. Do you HAVE to use it once you get 3 mana or can you let it build exponentially to get a huge creature?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »
All spawn points should be optional. I will confirm this when I look over my stuff tonight.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:14:23 AM »
i have been playing where i built it up (helloooooo hydra!)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 07:44:46 AM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=658
i have been playing where i built it up (helloooooo hydra!)

Hydra + Tele + Rouse = good-times  :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

patrickconnor

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
Quote from: "Mestrahd" post=647
Another follow-up question. Do you HAVE to use it once you get 3 mana or can you let it build exponentially to get a huge creature?

No, Spawnpoints are not mandatory. You may build up the mana over a number of turns. However, if the Spawnpoint is destroyed, the stored mana, as well as, any spell assigned to the Spawnpoint is lost.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »
Quote from: "patrickconnor" post=666
Quote from: "Mestrahd" post=647

No, Spawnpoints are not mandatory. You may build up the mana over a number of turns. However, if the Spawnpoint is destroyed, the stored mana, as well as, any spell assigned to the Spawnpoint is lost.

That brings up another important point. When it looks like your spawnpoint is going to be destroyed in the coming round either use it or put a less important card on it. In case that card is lost. The mana should always come from the spawn point first then your mage.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 11:41:05 AM »
i have a question about this.  you add a card to the gate in the planning phase to cast, and right after that is the deployment phase where you deploy it.  when is there a chance to destroy the gate while the card is on it?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=668
i have a question about this.  you add a card to the gate in the planning phase to cast, and right after that is the deployment phase where you deploy it.  when is there a chance to destroy the gate while the card is on it?

The card stay on the spawn point until your next planning phase. So say we have a spawnpoint with 13 health and currently 9 damage on it. If you do not have enough mana to use the spawn point or choose not to use it you opponent has most of the round to destroy it. But if you can use it the first chance to destroy it would be the quick cast phase. Because you used it you no longer have a card on it.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 09:42:25 PM »
thats my point.  you wouldnt put a card on it unless you planned to cast it.  there is no opertunity to destroy it after the planning phase and before the deployment phase.  that is unless you planned it and then just forgot to cast it.   you dont have to put a card on the spawnpoint do you?

1unatic

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 11:45:09 AM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=674
you dont have to put a card on the spawnpoint do you?

No, you don't have to.  Selecting a card for the spawnpoint is optional.