May 02, 2024, 08:59:38 AM

Author Topic: Teleport-Golem Build  (Read 12932 times)

Hekireky

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Teleport-Golem Build
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »
UPDATE 13/05/05 : Thanks a lot for input, especially for pointing out Force Bash, which is a shame. I've switched out both of those copies, as there are still 2 Knockdowns, which accomplish basically the same goal, which should mostly be used on Flying creatures. Instead I've added 2 Force Holds. Speaking of Flying creatures, I've got the permission to reveal Gravikor conjuration, which forces the creatures withing 2 zones of it to lose and not gain Flying trait. Finally, I've removed Purify and added an additional Hurl Boulder attack spell. Will have to test this new build out today or the upcoming weekend and provide additional, bigger update! Keep the comments coming, offer new ideas or variations or even post your own builds (unless you want to start your own topic, then please point the link on your comment). Thanks!

... or as an acronym - TG! Honestly, I do not visit this part of forums a lot (and shame on me, I am a playtester in the end :) ) But after playing for the first time Warlord with some Golems, me and my friend thought of how cool it would be to have these lovable lunkheads move around with great mobility. Throw in this ability for the Earth Elemental and we have something bubblin' here! I've tried to design this as competitively as possible, some great hours used to mold it perfectly. Perfection is an absurd description, as this build still really needs  tweaking (like an idea to use Poison Clouds, but that will be discussed at the bottom of the post).

Alright, let's sing this!

Mage: Wizard (Earth)

*Format goes like this [Type:Cost]

Conjurations: 5

Mana Crystal x3 (3)
Gravikor (2)

Equipment: 11

Arcane Ring (1)
Enchanter's Ring (1)
Mage Wand x2 (4)
Moonglow Amulet (1)
Mage Staff (1)
Elemental Cloak (1)
Wind Wyvern Hide (2)

Creatures: 19

Iron Golem x3 (9)
Earth Elemental (5)
Blue Gremlin (2)
Huginn, Raven Familliar (3)

Incantations: 53

Teleport x4 ( 8 )
Force Push x2 (4)
[strike]Force Bash x2 ( 8 )[/strike] *removed
Force Hold x2 ( 8 )
Dissolve x4 ( 8 )
Knockdown x2 (4)
[strike]Purify (2)[/strike] *removed
Dispel x3 (3)
Seeking Dispel x2 (2)
Minor Heal x2 (4)
Heal (4)
Battle Fury x2 (4)
Charge x2 (4)

Enchantments: 26

Decoy x3 (3)
Chains of Agony (2)
Reverse Magic x2 (4)
Nullify x2 (2)
Mind Shield x2 (4)
Block x2 (4)
Teleport Trap x3 (3)
Hellfire Trap x2 (4)

Attacks: 6

Hurl Boulder x3 (6)

By taking a look, you and me can agree to one thing - it seems somehow vulnerable to swarm builds. And I can agree, which brings me to this point: some of these cards need to be added, instead of the others

Poison Cloud (preferably 2 copies)
Hail of Stones (1 or 2 copies)
Suppression Cloak (probably to switch out Elemental Cloak)
Earthquake (2 copies)

And if you will be trying out this build or anything similar - feel free to switch them out, you could let loose one Teleport or even the Hellfire traps, but I see traps quite an interesting and potential tactic.

The whole construction seems like this: this is heavily influenced by incantation spells. When I get a hold of a second copy of Huginn, I'll mostly add 2nd copy of it. Huginn is very important in the game and plays one of the major parts in tactics - setting the field for control. He could even be responsible for mobility.

As I am very tired as of this writing, I will ABSOLUTELY write up some possible openings for each of the opposing mage's and builds.

But here's how I see the build.

Basically and foremost - Iron Golems are awesome (and so are Earth Elementals!). They get whooping 6 dice quick attack, have psychic immunity, are nonliving (great to use them with Poison Clouds), which grants Poison Immunity. They can't be set on fire, which seems very annoying to me at least, when I have to face these conditions. Not to mention he has 5 armor. Yes, he is very resilient, but this comes with a price: he is Slow, has Finite Life (cannot be healed) and is vulnerable to Lightning +2. Also, being Nonliving comes with more severe news: you can't use any of the Nature enchantments, which is basically: no extra armor, health, damage and no flying, fast and elusive. This is bad, bad, bad. Fortunately, there are some awesome War school incantations, which affect Corporeal creatures (yay!), so I've added 4 of them. The final neutral perk of this guy is Unmovable. I call it neutral, because you can't Push him, but so does the opponent, so it can avoid mobility manipulation and wall bashing. Operating this lovable lunkhead around the field is a joke, since he is Slow. Most of the times, the opponent Mage will just move back one space and avoid its attack. The same goes for Earth Elemental, which is somehow similar to Iron Golem, except he has a lot more health (35!), but does not have and cannot gain armor, is actually Lightning -2 and Tough -2. Again, very  resilient creature.

I've added Blue Gremlin to take care of such threats as hidden Blocks, Reverse Attacks. Also he could be used to take down low health conjurations.

Huginn as I've mentioned before, is very important to cast spells such as Force Hold, Force Push, Dissolve, Knockdown, Dispel and even to detect some hidden enchantments.

Looking over at the equipment, I am not sure if I should keep the Arcane Ring, because there aren't too many Metamagic and Mana spells (most come from Enchantments), but it does save mana. Enchanter's Ring seems essential, as to reduce cost of enchantments. Two copies of Mage Wand seems not a great number, might want to add the third. Most of the times, I would bind on it Teleport,Dissolve,Dispel or Knockdown. Elemental Cloak and Wind Wyvern Cloak provide some resilience against most of the elemental attacks in the game, as well provides 3 armor. Mage Staff should be used only when facing Incorporeal Creatures.

Here we come over to the most meaty and important part - Incantations. It was quite hard to choose between them and from most of the times I will probably switch out few them to see how it would work in a different angle. 4 Teleports seem right, as this build is heavily based on them. Most of the times I use this spell to pop out the Iron Golem near the enemy mage, very early in the game. This is an aggressive approach. Force Push is mostly used to pull back the mage or bash it against the wall, if you want to pull out some damage on it. Force Hold seems as a good way to hold the mage in the same spot(great, because Iron Golem can pull out one clear attack). Dissolve is there to battle those pesky Equip builds, bind it on Mage Wand if there's a feeling of running them out. Knockdown is a quick to produce Stun on the enemy Mage, to get the Earth Elemental or Iron Golem to land some attacks. I am not sure about only one copy of Purify, might need more. Also, 3 copies of Dispel are also quite insecure to have and leaves you to trust it more than anything. Fortunately, there are a couple of Seeking Dispels ( if you don't like them, switch them out for more Dispels). Minor Heal and Heal to obviously - heal yourself. Finally, we have Battle Fury and Charge - this is bread and butter to cast on the creature to deal some awesome damage.

Enchantments are mostly very traditional with a twist - traps!
 We have Chains of Agony to punish the retreating mage. Reverse Magic, Nullify to cast on yourself or creatures. Block and Mind Shield should be used for yourself or Huginn - protect this little guy with all the cost! Finally, Teleport Trap should be used for some positioning of the enemy mage. Here come's the fun part - I've thrown in Hellfire Traps and Decoy to mess with the opponent's mind if he tries to trigger these enchantments with his creatures - they will either suffer or earn your invested mana back. Most often I put my opponent in paranoia mode, which is awesome to see (and quite sadistic).

In the end, there are Hurl Boulders, which can be switched between Hail of Stones or even added!

So these are the very basics of the build, more in depth look will be provided in the coming week. I will try to put up more information and suggestions on how to work with the build, what openings are good to begin the game with, taking into account which build and mage you are facing.

But most important of all, I want to hear your opinion and ideas of this build, Maybe you hate it or see it completely weak. Maybe it seems not fun for you. I personally love the idea of mobility. Not to mention, by playing this build, I've noticed the nice flow of mana income and the disposal of it.

Please add your opinion and thank you!

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Teleport-Golem Build
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 07:08:43 PM »
Thanks for posting your spellbook.

I need to read it more thoroughly, but one thing jumped out at me. You can probably save yourself 4 easy spell points by removing Mind Shield. Both your mage and Huginn can't be targeted by Mind Control, and your mage can't be targeted by Charm, while Huginn is unlikely yo attack the Forcemaster.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=10346
Thanks for posting your spellbook.

I need to read it more thoroughly, but one thing jumped out at me. You can probably save yourself 4 easy spell points by removing Mind Shield. Both your mage and Huginn can't be targeted by Mind Control, and your mage can't be targeted by Charm, while Huginn is unlikely yo attack the Forcemaster.

If I were guessing, Mind Shield is probably to protect the Earth Elemental from getting controlled, since he lacks the Psychic Immunity that Iron Golems have.   It might also be there to keep Huugin from being put to sleep as hes kinda fragile to wake up the hard way.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
I run a similar Earth Wizard build, but I don't think the Mind Shields are necessary. If you're playing against the FM, 3 Iron Golems and Huginn should be enough creatures that don't care about Mind Control and Charm. I'd take out the Arcane Ring too. You may have more heal spells than you need. I'm not even convinced you need 1 Purify. You're not dependent on melee living creatures for damage, so you don't even care about weak conditions. Rot can be a problem, but only in long games, and there is no way to reliably apply rot conditions so far. Cripple could be annoying, but you have enough position control that it's not as big of a deal, and that goes away on it's own.

I play mine as a midrange/control build where I build up my channeling and get a few Iron Golems down relatively quickly. Once I have 2-3 Iron Golems and/or Earth Elementals I use a combination of Teleport spam (I run 4, and I think you need 4 for this build), Force Hold, and Force Push to lock my opponent down in a zone with multiple Iron Golems/Earth Elementals and maybe a Poison Gas Cloud. I could do it with Walls of Stone, but I haven't actually done that in a game yet. Huginn is great for position control, and can free you up to cast Hurl Boulders. Most mages don't survive in those conditions for very long. I lined up a turn where I got to attack for 34 attack dice between 5 attacks doing this. Of course, I killed my opponent after 2, but...

I run 4 Hurl Boulder so that I have more of an alternative plan of attack, and to give me phenomenal burst damage. I use Hawkeye to improve my Wizard's attack options. If I need to deal with incorporeal targets I have a 4 dice Arcane Zap, and I can supplement that with Mage Staff if necessary.

Between a pair of Hail of Stones, a Suppression Cloak, and the Earth Elementals' zone attack, I'm not too concerned by swarms, although I haven't played the deck against a dedicated swarm build. Besides, multiple Iron Golem guards should give swarms some real problems.

Iron Golem is much weaker against Air Wizards and Priestesses, which is where Earth Elementals really shine in comparison. I run 2, but I haven't really tested whether I need 1 or 2.

I'd like to point out that Force Bash doesn't prevent movement. Slam is degraded into a daze during a creature's activation. Not that slamming 2 creatures is bad, it's just not as good as you're saying.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:42:47 AM »
Great write up!  I run a similar build and I'd defiantly recommend putting in another Mage wand.  Once your opponent realizes you are very dependent on teleport, force push, etc for mobility, those wands will get dissolved quickly.
Si vis pacem para bellum

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:35:34 AM »
That only matters if you need more than 4 Teleports to kill your opponent, which hasn't happened to me yet.

Bishop084

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 12:58:37 AM »
It took me some searching to figure out what Gravikor was, and now I have to know, where the heck do I get those? As near as I can tell, they're not in any set.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:28:50 AM »
I think it was in some dice tower promo thing. I don't have it either. Presumably it will come out in some future set, but we'll have to see.

Bishop084

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 02:54:43 AM »
Let's hope so... I love this game because it's like a tactical version of Magic without having to worry about chase rares, and now I find out about these obscure promo cards and that's even worse.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »
All promos will be released in a future set. They may have different artwork though.

What I wonder about is if promos will be legal for tournament play before they are released in a set?

Bishop084

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 11:16:56 AM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=10483
All promos will be released in a future set. They may have different artwork though.

Is this confirmed somewhere? If so, that's great.

All Magic promos are just alternate art and/or foiled, but some of the stuff I'm seeing as promos for this game are major boons to their respective schools.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 11:33:20 AM »
This is a not a CCG it is more like a LCG (TM FFG) all cards will be available at some point in an equal amount for all. The promo's are just early releases.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »
Quote from: "Bishop084" post=10486

All Magic promos are just alternate art and/or foiled, but some of the stuff I'm seeing as promos for this game are major boons to their respective schools.

It's confirmed, can't point you to a link or anything, but I've seen it in writing from the games creation Bryan Pope.  No worries.
Si vis pacem para bellum

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
Quote from: "paradox22" post=10494
Quote from: "Bishop084" post=10486

It's confirmed, can't point you to a link or anything, but I've seen it in writing from the games creation Bryan Pope.  No worries.

Link to official confirmation:

Shadow is absolutely right. Galador and for that matter all promo cards will be available in future sets. The art may sometimes be different, but the card mechanics itself will always appear in a future expansion. And we expect to have all expansions make it to Europe.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Bishop084

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »
Cool. That totally alleviates all my worries. Sorry for hijacking the thread.  B)