May 04, 2024, 03:58:56 PM

Author Topic: gun toting Wizards  (Read 3258 times)

Jormungandr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
gun toting Wizards
« on: March 15, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
Ok, I'm looking for some advice here on whether there's a low resource way to handle this situation (I can't really think of one).

My opponent plays an Air Wizard.  His opening depends on whether he faces an aggro or a slower caster, but it is built around Grimson Deadeye.  The goal is to get Grimson out, provide him with an archer tower and then to put a wizard tower with lightning bolt down in an adjacent zone to stunlock anyone who goes after Grimson.  Leave him along long enough and he'll also drop walls, throw Hawkeye on Grimson and do other things.

Against an aggro caster, he remains still, drops Grimson on turn one and casts Rouse the Beast.  On turn 2, he'll start putting up his defenses.

Against a slower caster, he will move twice and quickcast an archer's tower, then cast Grimson + Rouse on turn 2.  Turn 3 is the wizard tower.

Assume he has more than one Grimson in his deck.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to counter this which [a] don't require significantly more mana/cards than he invested in building his combo (30 mana, 10 damage and 3 cards is not a good trade for a 15 mana card) and which will work more than once (Reverse Attack, for instance, might work the first time, but after that Grimson won't shoot until after a Seeking Dispell).  Happy to have the thoughts of the community on this...

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: gun toting Wizards
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
Teleport. Bring out a heavy (my favorite is a Steelclaw but whatever with four to six dice will work) move your mage and heavy to four zones away. On the opposing mages initiative pass as long as you can. Move your mage two zones to the sniper, then QC teleport on the Grizzly and drop him in Grimsons zone. Full attack and chomp him to pieces (why the grizz is my favorite for this....earthquake the WT/Archers Tower the next round and then force hammer the WT and grizz it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:55:35 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »
Yep, [mwcard=MW1I28] Teleport[/mwcard] is the all purpose answer to Turtling.

Other options include summoning something scary and flying like [mwcard=MW1C39] Valshalla, Lightning Angel[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MW1C01] Adramelech, Lord of Fire[/mwcard]. Fly over his wall and ruin his day.

[mwcard=DNQ01] Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard] will ruin his plan.

Druid can send Vines, which open up a lot of interesting options.

I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Jormungandr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 06:21:04 AM »
Thanks, but I'm must be missing something because Teleport failed badly when I tried it and it's pretty obvious that it's coming.

First - because you need LOS to the zone you are teleporting to, doesn't the presence of a wall stop the teleport plans outright?  So, if you move to set up a turn 3 teleport, he just walls himself in and then you can't teleport in?  (if you teleport in on your quickcast action to beat the walls, then he teleports you back out)

Cloak of Shadows did nothing at all, because you end up on the other side of the wall (can't see Grimson) and Grimson just targets whatever you're trying to bring out.

The worst was if you slow roll and build position, because if he gets behind a wall and then drops Teleport Trap, then you never get through.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 09:02:48 AM »
Yep, [mwcard=MW1I28] Teleport[/mwcard] is the all purpose answer to Turtling.

Other options include summoning something scary and flying like [mwcard=MW1C39] Valshalla, Lightning Angel[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MW1C01] Adramelech, Lord of Fire[/mwcard]. Fly over his wall and ruin his day.

[mwcard=DNQ01] Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard] will ruin his plan.

Druid can send Vines, which open up a lot of interesting options.

You can also summon Grimson FIRST. As a Legendary creature there can be only one in the arena at a time. Now it becomes his problem to Kill Grimson. :)

The other solutions posted are more flexible, but this one can be fun to pull once or twice. It really forces the other player to look at response options if the tables were turned. If your opponent is always playing this one strategy it can shake things up.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Jormungandr

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:24 AM »

You can also summon Grimson FIRST. As a Legendary creature there can be only one in the arena at a time. Now it becomes his problem to Kill Grimson. :)

The other solutions posted are more flexible, but this one can be fun to pull once or twice. It really forces the other player to look at response options if the tables were turned. If your opponent is always playing this one strategy it can shake things up.

Love it!