May 07, 2024, 01:38:44 PM

Author Topic: Laid back or aggressive?  (Read 7834 times)

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Laid back or aggressive?
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »
What kind of player are you? What Mage best embellishes your own personal playstyle?

Personally, I am in love with the Priestess, because she perfectly represents my style of play, and she can be devastating when played carefully and methodically.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Laid back or aggressive?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
Quote from: "Nihilistiskism" post=1612
What kind of player are you? What Mage best embellishes your own personal playstyle?

Personally, I am in love with the Priestess, because she perfectly represents my style of play, and she can be devastating when played carefully and methodically.

-nihil

It depends If we are playing for fun and not testing I like to see the game develop and see the battle field evolve. If I am playing in a event that is timed I want to KO other person before they can get setup.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Jestor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:10:57 PM »
I am normally a very aggressive and in your face player.  I would have thought, before playing, that the Warlock was my style.  After playing and studying the cards, I believe I may be a Priestess player at heart!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 05:34:43 PM »
Quote from: "Jestor" post=1642
I am normally a very aggressive and in your face player.  I would have thought, before playing, that the Warlock was my style.  After playing and studying the cards, I believe I may be a Priestess player at heart!

So why the change of heart?
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Jestor

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 07:42:29 AM »
I'm not exactly sure why.  The holy creatures seem to have a bit more of the "take on all comers" feel to me.  Coming from a tournament mini's background that is very attractive.  I do not have a lot of games under my belt (three now) but healing spells seem to be more mana efficient then resummoning.  The Priestess herself getting ehaled without having to waste the card on it gives her a bit more attrition built in.  I've found that she has the "most hit points" since there are very few things in the game that can one or two round a mage.  

Who knows, I may end up making a Warlock equip build or something and falling in love with it.  For now though I think the preistess is going to be my "first love".

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:03:59 PM »
My first game I played the Priestess and I loved it. I didn't even have to use a healing spell. But now that I've rebuilt all 4 books to include more anti-flying hate, she might drop a bit on my radar. I was initially attracted to the Wizard's mana denial, so maybe in my next game I'll try that out.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
My personal Priestess Spellbook currently has 2 Heal, 2 Minor Heal, 1 Resurrection, 1 Group Heal (forgot name?). I rarely use all of it in a game. In fact...I'm not sure I've ever used all of it in a game. I really hope that future sets see more Holy Incantations that aren't healing-related. As it is, I have to pull heavily from other schools for my incantations, because the Holy Incantations are just lackluster healing cards. The ONE time I've needed to use healing in any real capacity was in a game against a Warlock Item tank, and that was only because my spellbook at that time lacked any means of destroying items.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »
i plsyed against a priestess build and for some reason i couldnt finish her off.  she had 4 heals and 6 minor heals.  i was hitting her with everything i had.  she had over 40 life by the end of the game and ended up squeeking out a win
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=1937
i plsyed against a priestess build and for some reason i couldnt finish her off.  she had 4 heals and 6 minor heals.  i was hitting her with everything i had.  she had over 40 life by the end of the game and ended up squeeking out a win

IMO the priestess build wasn't very well-rounded, because in all my games I've never needed that much healing by merit of doing other, more important things, like generating creatures, throwing attacks, and enchanting the battleground. The best defense is a good offense they say...

Notice I didn't call the other priestess build bad. It won. It's probably a perfectly good build. I said it wasn't well-rounded. Dedicating that much of a spellbook to healing seems, to me, counter-productive, when those points could be dedicated to something more proactive.

-nihil

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:17:27 PM »
I am a very passive player by nature, which mostly comes from my PC gaming playstyles. I'm the Night Elf who gets a level 6 Keeper or PotM before killing you. I'm the Zerg who plays defense until he gets Brood Lords or Ultra/Festor. I'm the Shadowpriest who re-caps towers in AV, who hangs back in the Arena, throws DoTs and stays out of range of attacks until I see an opportunity to step up, mindblast and SWD. In Magewars I pass my actions whenever I can, so that I can react rather than act.

This generally means that I play some kind of slow-killing build, whether it is a temple-hogging Priestess, a curse-weaving Warlock, or a mana drain Wizard.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »
I'm almost always an incredibly aggressive player by default. I play a huge creature pet spellbook, I buff the crap out of him, and then I go for the throat. I've always loved the Beastmaster in this regard.

I've wanted to build a trap spellbook for some time, bouncing creatures between teleport traps, hellfire traps, into poison gas clouds, making them pay for movement, etc. Just death by a thousand paper cuts.

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »
I've played Magic for so long that I've grown used to playing all kinds of different strategies.

I typically lean towards aggressive strategies, just because they take less planning and playtesting. But my favourite Mage is currently a fairly defensive Wizard build, so, figure that one out.

Scarob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
Most of the games ive been in iv been the Beastmaster - weirdly my favourite game was the one i lost XD, but even so iv foun myself drifting towards a combat Wizard - Force Push on wand, Jet Stream on wand and 7 armour from various equipment and enchantments and some heals does nicely :)

Quote from: "Nihilistiskism" post=1939
IMO the priestess build wasn't very well-rounded, because in all my games I've never needed that much healing by merit of doing other, more important things, like generating creatures, throwing attacks, and enchanting the battleground. The best defense is a good offense they say...

hehehe Nihil ive found that for hte Priestess that the best offense is a good defence XD - archers galor and knight and angel is all you really need XD

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 02:08:40 AM »
He who hides behind walls is destined to see them crumble.

-nihil

Akirias

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
I play aggressively. Turn one i drop my 2 mana crystals and turn 3 i drop a dark pact slayer. Turn 4 i am punching mages in the face. I love the Warlock.