Mage Wars > Frequently Asked Questions

Updated FAQ (November 2013)

<< < (2/7) > >>

ringkichard:
No such thing! :)

aquestrion:
I thought bolt storm had a triple strike attack??? The FAQ says its sweeping under the multiple strikes section.

Kharhaz:

--- Quote from: DeckBuilder on December 01, 2013, 08:24:39 AM ---
Obscured vs. Vine range ("ignore the range"); most card interaction games give "cannot" ultimate precedence?

--- End quote ---

Obscured:

"It can not be targeted from more than one zone away (this is for all purposes - ranged attacks, spells, abilities, etc.)

Vine marker casting:

"you can destroy a target vine marker she controls as an additional cost to cast that spell. If you do, you may ignore the range of that spell  to target that vine marker's zone,an object in that vine marker's zone, or a border of that vine marker's zone...... That vine spell must have a legal target."

Even though the range has changed, or rather ignored, the source of the spell has not. Obscured prevents the mage from being targeted from more than one zone away. So while the obscured mage is indeed in range of the spell, it is not a legal target because he is more than one zone away from the druid.

It is no different than trying to cast a 0 - 3 ranged spell at an obscured mage. Is he in range? Yes. Is he a valid target? No.

All that to say,
Vine markers only replace the range of a spell with the vine markers ability. Source is still at the druid.

Hope that helps clear that up

Wildhorn:

--- Quote from: Kharhaz on December 01, 2013, 12:57:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: DeckBuilder on December 01, 2013, 08:24:39 AM ---
Obscured vs. Vine range ("ignore the range"); most card interaction games give "cannot" ultimate precedence?

--- End quote ---

Obscured:

"It can not be targeted from more than one zone away (this is for all purposes - ranged attacks, spells, abilities, etc.)

Vine marker casting:

"you can destroy a target vine marker she controls as an additional cost to cast that spell. If you do, you may ignore the range of that spell  to target that vine marker's zone,an object in that vine marker's zone, or a border of that vine marker's zone...... That vine spell must have a legal target."

Even though the range has changed, or rather ignored, the source of the spell has not. Obscured prevents the mage from being targeted from more than one zone away. So while the obscured mage is indeed in range of the spell, it is not a legal target because he is more than one zone away from the druid.

It is no different than trying to cast a 0 - 3 ranged spell at an obscured mage. Is he in range? Yes. Is he a valid target? No.

All that to say,
Vine markers only replace the range of a spell with the vine markers ability. Source is still at the druid.

Hope that helps clear that up

--- End quote ---

Burst of Thorns spell (the only one I can think of that would bring up this question) is casted on a Vine Marker, BUT the attack's source is the vine marker, so it can attack a Shrouded target.

DeckBuilder:
Thanks, Kharhaz, both rulings make imminent sense (if not explicitly clear in FAQ, needing some logical deduction).

The most recent debate on when you can reveal Charm/Mind Control (the latter can be devastating with Healing Wand) seems to have been omitted - considered too obvious?

Ditto the fact you can forget about your Lash in hand (against Flame Immunity or Flame-4 targets) but not your Eagleclaw Boots which you are stuck with - again too obvious I assume?

Every time I read the FAQ, I spot another subtle rules clear-up (e.g. how to deal with Extending Walls and LOS).

However, what I like most about the FAQ is that retaining "fantasy realism" has been given top priority.

Occasional updates would make it a less onerous task in future. This one was gargantuan so well done to the design trio for this excellent much-needed resource.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version