May 16, 2024, 09:51:16 AM

Author Topic: Mage Selection  (Read 7064 times)

Ravepig

• Ambassador
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Selection
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 12:24:47 PM »
I think it would be fun to select mages at random. Nobody in our group seems to want to do this. Do any of you use random selection, or do you just go with whatever interests you?

Unfortunately, I have learned in the past that a Force Master vs Druid game can be very bizzare  :P

How'd it turn out? Curious about the details of the match.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell. – Carl Jung

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 12:39:35 PM »
I think it would be fun to select mages at random. Nobody in our group seems to want to do this. Do any of you use random selection, or do you just go with whatever interests you?

Unfortunately, I have learned in the past that a Force Master vs Druid game can be very bizzare  :P

How'd it turn out? Curious about the details of the match.

I was the ForceMaster and my opponent was the Druid. His Druid was a very stereotypical Druid: his only movable creatures were 4 Raptor Vines, Togorah, Kralathor and Tataree.

To cut a long story short, the game became very hard yet interesting for me when he took out Kralathor, but after I killed it with a force crush+attack spells, we realized that all of my spells which evolved around Force Push/Pull were pointless against unmovable plants. Even though he had vines on all of the tiles, a Force Crush and a few Force Hammers on his mage pretty much sealed the deal while he had already run out of his Burst of Thorns.

It was very odd indeed, and we had talked about doing a creature/plant Druid, but we never got around to playing another Druid vs ForceMaster game.

arxiducs

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 04:18:28 PM »
In our local group of play we enjoyed a lot tournaments where the mages were assigned randomly to the players a couple of weeks in advance to the event. Results were public. All players were able to do their best strategizing around potential opponents and to go out of the comfort zone.
For us was a great way to stretch a bit the strategy part of the game!

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 04:28:27 AM »
Werent there some players dissatisfied with their assigned mage? I think, pushing someone out of his comfort zone doesnt work well with Mage Wars, but at the end, it could be Cultural, Social or just a group thing :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

arxiducs

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 05:36:09 AM »
It is just about making informed decisions. If clearly communicated, the set up for this format is know to all. After that you can only trust the maturity of the individual-potentially-disatisfied group members. It was just fine for us. We used a facebook group to have the community to vote for the format and later inform the results of the mage assingment process. This created expectation and comments in social media that made it even more fun.
Of course, I would recommend alternating this with standard tournament as per the needs.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 06:52:43 AM »
I will definetly try to propose this format in my group. Hope it will be recieved well :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )