May 15, 2024, 05:11:03 AM

Author Topic: Community Card Contstruction  (Read 18325 times)

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Community Card Contstruction
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »
Finally read through the post. Sorry for my enchantment idea. I figure it is set that we are making a creature (?).

If I had a vote I would not go for a jar...sorry. Doesn't feel Mage War-ich. The force path is much more appealing to me. In my head I'm visualizing a Nazgul (Lord of the rings) look-a-like-knight.

Why does the FM need a creature without a psychic attack? Isn't the whole thing with Mage Wars that you could pick cards from whatever school you want, right? So go Grizzly then. Sure, in the present meta there isn't a good biggy for the FM, but I would rather keep a good feeling and theme versus a made up creature (not that we can't make one).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:15:55 AM by fas723 »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »
Finally read through the post. Sorry for my enchantment idea. I figure it is set that we are making a creature (?).

If I had a vote I would not go for a jar...sorry. Doesn't feel Mage War-ich. The force path is much more appealing to me. In my head I'm visualizing a Nazgul (Lord of the rings) look-a-like-knight.

Why does the FM need a creature without a psychic attack? Isn't the whole thing with Mage Wars that you could pick cards from whatever school you want, right? So go Grizzly then. Sure, in the present meta there isn't a good biggy for the FM, but I would rather keep a good feeling and theme versus a made up creature (not that we can't make one).

I am with you on this on the Brain in a Jar, just doesn't feel like a good fit to me, Dark + Mind, and seems much more like an Arcane + Dark spell to me. Non-Min creatures spells cost triple during spellbook construction. So making it Dark + Mind would make it a "Mind" creature and keep its spellbook points costs down. As for Psychic, the game has alot of Psychic Immunity, which currently is a hard counter to FM. Therefore a non-Psychic Mind creature is appealing of the two remain Mind school sub-types (Control & Force) Force seems to be a good choice.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »
I would like to voice a dissenting opinion.  I am not in favor of a brain in a jar.  I don't think it fits flavorfully in the world of Mage Wars. However, I do think that if Aaron is in favor of it we should give it a try since this card is in his honor.

So noted. What makes it feel out of place? What do you think would make it feel "in place"?

After some thought it seems like a brain in a jar is a much more "science-y" way to get dark and creepy mind stuff.  Mage Wars to me will always sit firmly in the fantasy genre.

Fantastical creepiness is usually some kind of magical enthrallment with grotesque disfigurement, mental parasites or embodied nightmares from some void realm.

Sorry I'm not being extremely articulate at the moment.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 11:56:49 AM »
And yet DND has brains in jars all the time. lol.

That said, it sounds like we'll need an actual vote on this issue. This is a community card and so should reflect the thoughts of the community. I'll put up a poll later today. Anyone who has an awesome idea for a Dark and/or Mind creature concept should feel free to post it here.

This has been pretty exciting so far. Once we nail down a concept then we're going to look at about what level of creature we want to design and if they are legendary or not.

Fun times ahead!

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2015, 06:58:43 PM »
nay to brain jar and forceblades. yay to incorporeals, psyoculi, and horror creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2015, 05:10:35 AM »
So the question is really what options Aaron should put in his poll for this except the jar.
What do we have so far.
- Biggy force
- Nazgul look-alike-knight
- more?

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2015, 08:15:56 AM »
it seems difficult to build a card like that.

there's a lot of ideas, a lot of good ideas among theme, and at every choice we loose more than we keep!

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2015, 11:10:13 AM »
It could be the Forcemaster who has to carry the brain-container. It would take up one (or both) hand-slots denying the forcemaster galvitar.

If the forcemaster puts down the brain, the upkeep cost rises and the brain becomes more vulnerable to attacks.

TucsonDoug

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
How about a poltergeist type ghost or spirit, if you're looking for a mind/dark creature? It could attack with waves of force, or maybe use an area attack where it creates a whirlwind of debris. Maybe receiving a bonus if there's corporeal conjurations in the square.

Rinc

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2015, 12:14:43 PM »
How about a force wall? Since it's also a dark creature, it could be a shrouded wall of force.

Else, it would be nice with a mimic creature.

Or if no one of the above is good enough, I vote for a force/dark jester.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »

Enchantment: Visions of Insanity
Level 1 Dark + Level 1 Mind, reveal cost X times something to balance overpowered, Curse, Psychic.

Every round, roll a D12. On a 5-8, give the creature Slow. On a 9-11 deal the creature X Psychic Damage. On a 12 Stun him.

In addition, you can change it so that the X increases chance of roll instead of effectivity of roll.

WHY ISN'T ANYBODY RESPONDING TO WHAT I CREATE!!!

Most people don't give much if any feedback on things in the more creative sections. Some of my variants didn't get any feedback until a year or so after I made them and some of them never get any feedback at all. Don't take it personally. I made the mistake of taking it personally for an embarrassingly long time, and then I found out later that I was being stupid and should have just looked at the view counts.

Anyways, I think that card needs to have "until end of round" added to the end. And maybe give it a more fitting name, like "Traumatic Visions" or something. Merely seeing insanity shouldn't cause someone to become insane. Seeing something traumatic could. Some of the effects seem kind of random and hard to explain thematically though. Maybe instead you should have a fear like effect, perhaps where they gain the pest trait and chance of failing to melee attack on 9+ while the enchantment is attached. They can take a certain amount of psychic damage to destroy it. This would represent the cost of suppressing or putting aside the traumatic images.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2015, 08:04:19 PM »
And yet DND has brains in jars all the time. lol.

You must play a different D&D than me.  The brains from D&D that I know have 4 legs and attack with psionic abilities.

But, like I said, I'm just one voice and I'll try to help make it a good card no matter what is voted.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2015, 01:35:42 AM »
Intellect Devourers are cool too, but the picture I linked was a dnd brain in a jar. Granted, I'm a sucker for most Psyonic monsters. if Mind Flayer wasn't trademarked I'd say go for that. But, I'm leaving it to a vote soon anyway.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2015, 04:27:36 AM »
Another idea about for a force creature:

A shapeshifting bulb of force. For a few mana you can change between a force equipment (maybe an armor), a force wall, a force hold or simply a fist (that can do an invisible fist attack). You could use multiple card arts for 1 creature?  ::)

Of course there would be an upkeep but I like the idea of a floating bulb of force changing to the shape you need. Did not think about the exact mechanics yet.

Now that i think about it, there is not really a dark factor on this one, so maybe more for another time.   :P
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Gogolski

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2015, 05:50:23 AM »
The mimicking monster idea has been put forward before and I think it's a shapeshifter that can be relatively easy to implement.

On its turn the mimic would choose a creature (or equipment?? or conjuration-no-way!???) on the board and in LoS and spend mana equal to 1 + Level of the copied creature(equipment/conjuration-no-way!) + 1/zone of distance to the copied creature. Put a mimic marker on the copied creature. The mimic has copied the creature(equipment/conjuration-no-way!) till it takes damage and then reverts to it's normal form. (Return the mimic marker to the mimic to show it has no copied stats/attributes.)

It can copy a powerful attack in it's turn and has a very powerful defense. (The first time it takes damage undoes the mimicked state/stats without generating damage on the mimic itself.) It might copy a flying creature to get to relative safety or a creature with massive armor or fast+elusive... As long as it takes no damage it will have the stats of that creature.

I don't think it would be wise to make it able to copy attached enchantments/markers as that will make it way too fidly...