May 17, 2024, 06:15:19 AM

Author Topic: Domination guarding rules  (Read 6008 times)

Powlich

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Domination guarding rules
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »
I know there are some old threads about some of these questions, but I thought that it would be good to collect all the answers at the same place. Also, some rule interpretations could have changed over they years. Maybe the answers can be added to the (now empty) Domination FAQ that you can find here on the forums: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?board=107.0

1. Can my creature guard a neutral orb?

2. Can my creature guard an enemy controlled orb? (Think 3p free for all)

3. Can my creature guard a neutral Sslak?

4. Can my creature guard an opponent controlled object? (Think 3p free for all)

5. Can a neutral Sslak guard a player's object?

6. Can a neutral Sslak guard another neutral Sslak? (If there are 2 guardians in the zone, and only one has a guard marker. Do I have to attack the one with the guard marker?)

I think I know the answer to some of the questions, but not all of them. The fiddly rules around guarding have always annoyed me while playing Domination, and it has taken away a lot of the joy in Domination. I hope this will change now. :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:35:01 AM by Powlich »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Domination guarding rules
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. I believe so.
6. Yes.

A Guard is going to protect whatever is in the zone. If it's your Guard then it'll still protect Enemy A's creatures from Enemy B unless I'm much mistaken. Now obviously it won't Guard against your other creatures. It'll also protect neutral orbs and their guardians.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »
To go into detail on what Grizzly said. If there is an enemy guard in a zone, then you cannot melee attack any object in that zone other then enemy guards. Sslaks and Uslaks are considered to be enemy creatures with no mage owner. So in the case of all of your examples the answer is yes.

(Also enjoy your sticker Grizz)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
YES!!!! 3RD BANANA STICKER!!!! I'm coming for your title Zuberi!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
The creature can still melee attack itself and/or objects attached to itself.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
The creature can still melee attack itself and/or objects attached to itself.

Correct. These are the only exceptions. Besides these, an enemy (or neutral) guard restricts all other targeting options. So when there is an enemy guard in the zone, your only options are to hit the guard(s), hit yourself, or hit an object attached to yourself. Or do an action that doesn't involve making a melee attack. But no other objects are legal targets for a melee attack when an enemy guard is present. Not your objects, not your enemy's, and not neutral objects. Doesn't matter who owns/controls it.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:49:07 AM »
Perhaps this should be moved to the domination thread area?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Powlich

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 08:17:43 AM »
So basically it's the same rules as standard MW. That make sense. I thought there was some difference in the rules between standard MW and domination, because many opponents didn't allow me to guard neutral orbs, and also said that Sslaks only care to guard the orbs and not my creatures. Next time that happens, I can just say they're wrong, and refer to this thread. Thanks!  :)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »
So basically it's the same rules as standard MW. That make sense. I thought there was some difference in the rules between standard MW and domination, because many opponents didn't allow me to guard neutral orbs, and also said that Sslaks only care to guard the orbs and not my creatures. Next time that happens, I can just say they're wrong, and refer to this thread. Thanks!  :)
All sslaks are considered enemy creatures to both players. When an enemy creature is guarding, you cannot melee attack any other enemy creatures in the zone. The guard goes away after the sslak counterstrikes, but then it will come back next upkeep. And you still have to destroy the sslak to be able to attack the orb.

It's important that you are able to protect an enemy creature from another enemy creature while guarding in free for all games. Like say if that creature is asleep. Or if you're playing a free for all and have a temporary alliance with one of your opponents and want to protect one of their creatures.

Actually now that I think about it, protecting the zone only works against enemy creatures, not friendly ones. Otherwise if you had a creature guarding in a zone the only creature in that zone you could melee would be the guard, even if there was a no guarding enemy creature in that same zone.

So you can't guard to protect a sleeping enemy creature from its own side, but you can protect it from the creatures of other enemy players I think.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:58:15 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
@Sailor Vulcan: I'm not completely sure that I follow your last message, so in case you are confused let me try to clear things up. The only thing that matters is who controls the guarding creature. If the guard is friendly to me, then I ignore it. If the guard is an enemy, then my creature's melee attacks are limited to either attacking the guard, attacking itself, or attacking an object attached to itself.

Neutral objects are treated as enemies, and thus always apply these restrictions when guarding to all players.

So, if player 1 wants to attack a sleeping creature, they can ignore any guards controlled by player 1 because the guards are friendly. But, if there are any guards controlled by player 2, an enemy, then they would have their targeting options restricted, preventing them from attacking the sleeping creature. Regardless of who controls the sleeping creature.

Now, in a FFA game, all other players are considered enemies. There are no rules that allow for a temporary ally to be treated as friendly, unless you house rule it. This means that if Player 1 puts a creature on guard to protect Player 2's creatures, then it not only restricts Player 3 (accomplishing the goal) but also restricts Player 2. Which may not be so desirable. This is similar to how my creatures will continue to hinder any temporary allies I may have.

Interestingly, this conversation came up while playtesting the Forcemaster Academy set, as there is an enchantment, called Mind Seize, that lets you choose the target of a creature's attack. Thus, letting you make your enemy's creature attack its friends. This will actually let you bypass your enemy's guards, because they will be friendly to the creature making the attack. However, weirdly, if you have any of your own creatures on guard, they WILL still restrict the creature's attacks, because they are still enemies of the attacker. But, in this case, you can always just make the creature hit itself.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »
Wait wait wait, if I'm playing a Priestess against a Forcemaster and I have a Guardian Angel that's been put to Sleep and the Forcemaster has a guarding Goblin Grunt in that zone, I can't attack my own Angel but have to attack the Grunt?

Arkdeniz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
  • Hated by the Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 12:20:30 AM »
Wait wait wait, if I'm playing a Priestess against a Forcemaster and I have a Guardian Angel that's been put to Sleep and the Forcemaster has a guarding Goblin Grunt in that zone, I can't attack my own Angel but have to attack the Grunt?

Yup. The first melee attack in that zone will have to be on the Grunt.

You could always shoot the Angel, of course. Even with a range 0 attack made in the zone.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
"Frost damage is a scam an armor dealer invented once to make a Beastmaster buy a new fur" - Exid

'No! Winter is coming." - Elementalist

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 08:25:23 AM »
Some of the rules in this game just make no sense to me.

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »
I mean this one makes perfect sense. If i were that grunt, i wouldn't want yout smacking that angel to wake it up. Go id guard it.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »
If I were the grunt, I would go hide behind the FM... but that's just me....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess