May 21, 2024, 10:08:19 AM

Author Topic: my first spellbook (druid)  (Read 6970 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: my first spellbook (druid)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »
There are a number of spells in there of which you carry too many copies imo but playing the book a few times will give you a good indication of which spells you can purge and replace with other usefull spells.

To name a couple :
- I don't think you'll play Renewing Rain more than once in a game. If you do, you're probably losing. ;)
- Burst of Thorns : I doubt you'll play this 6 times
- Stranglevine : I'd play 1 less.

Also, strongly suggest to add a couple of Dissolve ( on top of the two Orchids )

At least 1 Mage Wand.
You have plenty of ways to pin an enemy mage down, so playing Dissolve on a Druid is not a simple task, thus Wands tend to stick around a little longer on her.

Have you considered a Meditation Amulet ?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:19:12 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

csaman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »
wow...what a slaughter that was.   I've learned a couple of big lessons: 

1)  include a teleport or two. I ended up being teleported into a zone with a necromancer and several skeletons.  had barkskin but was little help.  a wall of bones came up next surrounding me in the corner with so many undead that casting creatures in my zone with rouse the beast was a last resort.  kralathor (?)  tried to destroy the wall to help my druid but didn't have enough time. 

my second game was with the same player/book  and had a very similar ending  although this time i treebonded with a different tree (etherian vs. vine)  it just made my demise last longer.

third game was against the female warlock and I always felt like I was on the defensive..my opponent cast Adremelach (sp?) and I felt like I was running away all the time....I treebonded with the vine tree, put out a lot of vines and got a few burst of thorns spells in but everything I had had a flame +2 so was getting hit with a lot of dice.  I spent a lot of mana and rounds keeping my treebond alive (it actually lasted longer than I thought it would) but when it fell, so did my game.  oh well.

I love the way the druid plays, it just clicks with me for some reason, but I realize how difficult it is to play with her.  I need to get several more games in and will then come back to her for sure.    even though I lost all three games handily, it was still fun using a thornlasher to snatch a skeleton through a bloodspine wall.  good times!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 09:59:33 PM »
Before I had success with the Druid, I found it useful to "master" (used loosely) an aggressive mage - the Forcemaster, in my case. Once you know what an aggressive mage can (and can't) do, along with what it struggles against, you'll have an appreciation for what the Druid is capable of in terms of controlling the board state through tangle vines and/or Thornlashers, redistributing damage, regenerating, turtling, etc.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 03:23:32 AM »
... include a teleport or two. I ended up being teleported into a zone with a necromancer and several skeletons.  had barkskin but was little help.  a wall of bones came up next surrounding me in the corner with so many undead that casting creatures in my zone with rouse the beast was a last resort.  kralathor (?)  tried to destroy the wall to help my druid but didn't have enough time. 

- Or put a Teleport of your own on a Mage Wand ? ;)
- When walled in equip your Eagleclaw Boots and get out.

third game was against the female warlock and I always felt like I was on the defensive..my opponent cast Adremelach (sp?) and I felt like I was running away all the time....

This is one of those situations where a creature with Intercept comes in very handy.

Also, Dispel ( on a Mage Wand :) ) to deal with the curses thrown at you.

Don't go running from Adramelech, just get him down to the ground ( Maim Wings or Knockdown ) and put a Stuck on him, an Acid Bolt to take his Armor down a notch and set your plants on him.

I love the way the druid plays, it just clicks with me for some reason, but I realize how difficult it is to play with her.  I need to get several more games in and will then come back to her for sure.    even though I lost all three games handily, it was still fun using a thornlasher to snatch a skeleton through a bloodspine wall.  good times!

Like iNano78 said, this is not the easiest mage to learn the game with.
It's like starting to play BloodBowl with Dark Elves or Vampires.
Those teams , just like the Druid in MW require a certain level of experience to be successful with.
Better indeed to start with an aggressive mage to get a feel for what's possible in that regard and then expand into the less straightforward mages.