May 16, 2024, 03:56:17 PM

Author Topic: My first Demo  (Read 3250 times)

FrostByte

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
My first Demo
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:31:38 AM »
So this Saturday my FLGS is hosting a game day where you can bring your own games or play some of the stock ones that they keep open in the back.   While i was speaking to a guy that works there about the Organized Play Kits, he agreed that we could open a copy of Mage Wars as a Store copy and that i could set it up for Demoing.   I've been reading through all of the resources available but any tips will be greatly appreciated. 
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: My first Demo
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
On the resources and downloads page there is a "How to Teach Mage Wars" guide which is extremely helpful. Other than following what it says, I would add that you should know the rules fairly well yourself. Have the rule book and FAQ handy, just in case, but the less you have to reference it, the better. Also, do not offer a lot of strategy advice. People don't want you to play the game for them. They want to figure it out for themselves. You should answer questions and offer advice when asked, but otherwise you need to practice restraint and stay on the sideline.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:47:36 AM »
I did demo's for MW at BGGCon last year. Had a blast. Have the game setup and ready with the apprentice book the game should run about a 1/2 hour(ish). Keep the rules handy but really try to know the answer without referencing the book as much as possible, you shouldn't be splitting hairs. Oh, and if they wargamers, stress that the game is Mage Wars not Creature Wars....you should do fine if you use the guide referenced by Zuberi and by keeping the demo's simple.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

FrostByte

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »
So i feel like this went pretty well.  Got a few people interested and found out after that my FLGS wants to start some kind of league/tournament play of their own.  So that's pretty exciting.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:46:45 PM »
So i feel like this went pretty well.  Got a few people interested and found out after that my FLGS wants to start some kind of league/tournament play of their own.  So that's pretty exciting.

Contact Patrick and get your name on the ambassador list.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »
I did my first 2 demos as a Mage Wars ambassador  this past weekend for International Tabletop Day and the only suggestion I would make different from the print out on how to run a demo is to actually use the Mages abilities so that players see that the mages are actually different and unique. I did not do that for the 2 games I demoed but will from now on.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:57:07 PM by barriecritzer »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »
Apprentice mode would greatly change the balance of the various mage abilities. Since I recommend using Apprentice Mode to begin with, I am going to have to disagree with using the Mage Abilities as that would create a much more imbalanced game environment.

Certainly show them the mage abilities and let them know that the mages do differ from one another, but when teaching the game, stick with Apprentice as written.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:00:08 PM »
I hadn't considered that apprentice mode would  make the abilities unbalanced. Thanks for pointing that out.