May 04, 2024, 01:23:09 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Team Battles! (Germany, Chemnitz)  (Read 3760 times)

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Swiss Mage Wars Ambassador
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Team Battles! (Germany, Chemnitz)
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:00:59 PM »
On August 15, 2015, we’ll have a special tournament in Germany: The (worldwide first?) 2 vs. 2 team tournament Mage Wars Team Battles. This is an official tournament by the German Mage Wars publisher Pegasus Spiele in Chemnitz (at the Deutsches SPIELEmuseum).

Find a second player, build a mage team, register for the tournament and get ready for epic Team Battles! (And yes, our reigning German Mage Wars Champion will be there too.)

More information in German on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/events/1641187979438394/
or in the German Mage Wars Forum
http://www.foren.pegasus.de/foren/topic/24618-mage-wars-team-battles/

I can’t wait to see you there, you don’t want to miss this tournament! :)

Jannis Grimm
German MW Head Judge
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:08:40 PM by netzhuffle »
netzhuffle – Jannis Grimm, German Mage Wars Head Judge. headjudge@magewars.de

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Team Battles! (Germany, Chemnitz)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
OMG this looks so awesome I wish I could go we should do something like that here in the states!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
Agreed, looks like a fun event.  Not sure about the mage teammates (and their spell books) being independent (e.g. can each have the same Epic/Unique cards in spell books and on the battlefield at once); could imagine two [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard]s next to each other in the central spaces, each with a range 0-2 spell defending each other... or playing a second [mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ06]Rolling Fog[/mwcard] just as the first expires while you and your teammate build up a mega-swarm over 6 rounds.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »
Those problems can probably be solved with a larger board. (rolling fog has dissipate 3 so think about how long it takes the enemy to get within 0-1 zones of you, and most attack spells you can use the tower for only have 0-2 range).

Not sure if teams are allowed to have two of the same mage in the first place.

I would say if you're playing in team organized play, for the sake of better coordination and synergy between friendly spellbooks, it might be a good idea for one person to be the primary spellbook builder for both of their team's spellbooks. (Of course it's still vital to get feedback from your teammate about it.) Unless both teammates are really in sync with each other and on the same page AND approximately equally skilled in spellbook building. Then you might not need to designate a primary spellbook builder.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
Those problems can probably be solved with a larger board. (rolling fog has dissipate 3 so think about how long it takes the enemy to get within 0-1 zones of you, and most attack spells you can use the tower for only have 0-2 range).

Not sure if teams are allowed to have two of the same mage in the first place.

I would say if you're playing in team organized play, for the sake of better coordination and synergy between friendly spellbooks, it might be a good idea for one person to be the primary spellbook builder for both of their team's spellbooks. (Of course it's still vital to get feedback from your teammate about it.) Unless both teammates are really in sync with each other and on the same page AND approximately equally skilled in spellbook building. Then you might not need to designate a primary spellbook builder.

They're playing on the regular 3x4 arena with teammates starting in the same zone.  I saw no restriction on teammates being the same mage type.  Spell books are independent of each other, as stated.  And I'm sure anyone taking the tournament seriously will work with their teammates to have synergistic strategies/spell books.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »
3x4 arena? Same starting zone for friendly mages? Why aren't they using the official team play rules released in battlegrounds domination? The rules are right on this website.

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Swiss Mage Wars Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 05:08:20 PM »
We’re using the official rules from Battlegrounds Domination, just with the normal board from Mage Wars Arena. Simple reason: Battlegrounds Domination will not be released in Germany till August, also no bigger board because of the tournament time limit. Forcing the Mages to consider the small arena when building the spell books and during play is intended. Because team games need more time for communication during planing and action phases there have to be fewer rounds per game to finish an opponent mage before the time runs out.

It’s the same thing as with normal tournaments: Not every spell book that works great at home is suited for tournament rules (with the 75 minutes limit), so one challenge of tournaments is to make the best of the tournament restrictions :)
netzhuffle – Jannis Grimm, German Mage Wars Head Judge. headjudge@magewars.de