May 04, 2024, 10:52:12 AM

Author Topic: Rouse the Beast before Activation Phase  (Read 4899 times)

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Swiss Mage Wars Ambassador
    • View Profile
Rouse the Beast before Activation Phase
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »
Hi, I’m once again redirecting a question from the German Mage Wars forum to be completely sure:

Is it possible to cast Rouse the Beast with the Quick Cast Action before the Action Phase and then activate the roused creature?

Or do you need to say which creature you’ll activate before you can do the Quick Cast Action?

Thanks, netzhuffle
netzhuffle – Jannis Grimm, German Mage Wars Head Judge. headjudge@magewars.de

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Rouse the Beast before Activation Phase
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »
I am guessing you have used a Spawnpoint to summon a creature during the Deploy phase and now you would like to activate it before the Action Phases. Your mage can use his Quick Cast action during the First Quick Cast Phase to cast the [mwcard=MW1I23]Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]. If you have initiative you could also use the same Quick Cast action of the Mage before you activate the creature and then cast Rouse the Beast.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:09:27 AM »
I mean the following situation:

1) My mage’s Action Phase: I summon a creature.
2) Other mage’s Action Phase: Teleports creature in my zone

Am I allowed to now:
3a) Quick cast Rouse the Beast on my creature
3b) Activate that creature to attack?

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »

Am I allowed to now:

As long as you are using your Quick Cast marker to cast Rouse the Beast, then yes. As per the rulebook, there are 3 times you can use your quickcast marker. One of them is "Immediately before or after any creature you control takes its Action Phase"
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:14:18 AM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Death-from-above

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • This is some really personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:17:57 AM »

Am I allowed to now:

Yes, you can use your quick cast action from your mage to cast it on your summoned creature and then use that creature for an action. You can use the quick cast marker before or after you or one of your creatures takes their action phase

Taken directly from the rulebook:

Quickcast Action

A quickcast action is a special action that only a Mage may take during a round, in addition to his regular actions during his Action Phase. This action can only be used to cast one quick spell (a spell with the quick action symbol), and cannot be used to take any other action.You can use your quickcast action at three times during the Action Stage:
• During the First Quickcast Phase
• Immediately before or after any creature
you control takes its Action Phase
• During the Final Quickcast Phase
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Why am I not a banana?"
"Because your genetic code dictates that you are human. However it should please you to know that you share 50-60% of your DNA with a banana."
"Thanks man"
"Are you telling me that some people are 10% more banana than other people?"

TAGraves

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »
If you don't have another creature you can activate: No, you can't do that. You can only quickcast before or after any friendly creature's action phase. In this situation, you don't have a friendly creature's action phase to quickcast before (and there's no retrocausality or anything - think about if your Rouse the Beast was negated!). You'd have to wait until your final quickcast phase, but that would be worthless, since you'd never get a chance to activate the creature.

If you do have another creature you can activate: It seems ambiguous whether you can do this or not. Having just reread the relevant rules, I'm inclined to say yes. The rules make it sound like you choose the creature just at the moment that you flip the action marker. So while it's implied that you're taking some creature's action, which creature is not determined until after the quickcast. Since your creature will be ready to activate after the quickcast, you can choose it. But again, this is just my opinion.

netzhuffle

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:28:14 AM »
Thanks, TAGraves, I just wanted to post the question: Could I even do that if I currently have no active creature on the board? (Normally my opponent would have all his remaining Action Phases without my intervention.)

But another question: If my opponent would counter the spell (e.g. with Jinx), could I still pass if my opponent has more active creatures in the arena, even if I have already used the Quick Cast Action? (I’d say no.)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »

Am I allowed to now:
No you could not. You are in the Action Phase of an enemy creature, you may not use your Mages Quick Cast action at this point in time after the enemy creatures action phase you can do what you have proposed.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 08:20:36 PM »
Thanks, TAGraves, I just wanted to post the question: Could I even do that if I currently have no active creature on the board? (Normally my opponent would have all his remaining Action Phases without my intervention.)

But another question: If my opponent would counter the spell (e.g. with Jinx), could I still pass if my opponent has more active creatures in the arena, even if I have already used the Quick Cast Action? (I’d say no.)

If you use your Quick Cast Marker during your Action Phase, you must also Activate a creature. You can not use your Quick Cast Marker and then pass on your creature action. You thus can not use your Quick Cast Marker at all once you have activated your last creature and you've passed turn to your opponent. Not until the Final Quick Cast Phase, at which time you would be unable to activate any more creatures even if they did somehow flip their action marker over to active.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 01:34:11 PM »
When I am feeling better I will look this over if it is still needed :-[
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage