May 03, 2024, 07:15:00 PM

Author Topic: Do 2 rot conditions on a creature cause 2 damage?  (Read 5930 times)

Realcater

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Do 2 rot conditions on a creature cause 2 damage?
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »
Hi!
Didn't find an answer for my question.

Do 2 rot conditions on a creature cause 2 damage during unpkeep? Or just 1 damage (since we don't have +1 damage on it, but just "receive 1 damage")?

Thank you!

FernandoKL

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Do 2 rot conditions on a creature cause 2 damage?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »
The creature gets as many damage as rot markers on it, so, 2 damage! Rot and Weak are awesome!  :pinch:

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 10:29:26 AM »
Welcome to the forums Realcater!

It is also important since you (As the creatures controller) decide the order of events during the upkeep.
Example: You have a creature with 5 life and 0 damage and Regeneration 2. During the upkeep, you have 5 rot tokens on that creature. Since you, the creatures controller decides the order of events, the most "Profitable" out come is as follows; Take 2 rot damage, regenerate 2, take the remaining 3 rot damage.

It also worth noting that conditions "Stack".

Also this.
VOLTARIC SHIELD
Each Upkeep Phase, the Wizard
may pay 2 mana to activate his
Voltaric Shield (flip the shield marker
to the ON side). The first time the
Wizard is attacked and dealt damage
this round, if the shield is on, flip the
shield marker to the off side, and
cancel up to 3 points of damage. If the
shield marker is still on at the end of
the round, flip it to the off side.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
Yes the wizard shield is for attacks. I have looked at several shield affects so they get blended together.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:57:28 AM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Deatheux

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:21:50 PM »
so the ROT Tokens are not(like burn tokens) direct damage!?!?

Deatheux

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
PLEASE, PLEASE, refer to CODEX.

you're welcome.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 07:05:10 AM »
DIRECT Damage
Some effects cause direct damage. This damage is placed directly on the target creature. It is not an attack, and cannot be prevented or avoided. Armor and other traits, effects, and abilities cannot modify or reduce direct damage.

Exception: If an object has Immunity to a damage type, it is not affected by direct damage of that type

That is a clause is did not remember seeing.

So you are correct unless something is immune Direct Damage will by pass any form of protection.

(It gets hard to keep the inprint rules verses all the other versions of the rules I have seen I my head. I guess that is why I carry a FAQ and codex with me when judging.  :)  )
BTW Death thanks for the heads up.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

diceman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »
The creature gets as many damage as rot markers on it, so, 2 damage! Rot and Weak are awesome!  :pinch:
Sorry to dig out an old topic, but this actually bothers me. I can't anywhere find in the rules the part, where it says, that ROT stacks. It's pretty straightforward with WEAK (lose 1 die per condition marker), but with ROT it specifically says, that you only lose 1 Direct Damage during during Upkeep. Not +1, but only 1. Sounds to me like intentional wording. Nowhere it is mentionend, that it stacks. It even says (in the part about conditions), that not all conditions stack (some of them may), but there is no specific example concerning ROT.
Please clear this up for me. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:21:26 AM by diceman »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 01:26:46 AM »
Each Rot triggers a separate instance of 1 direct damage. If there are specific rules for how multiple conditions stack, such as for multiple Daze conditions, then you use those. Otherwise the normal rules apply. Taking direct damage is not a trait like Regenerate. Regenerate doesn't stack because it is a trait with a specific value, and the abilities that give Regenerate give a specific value rather than a modifier. For traits with specific values, you use the highest value. If the cards that gave Regenerate instead said to heal that amount each upkeep, they would stack. The direct damage from Rot does not come from a trait, it comes directly from the condition, so yes, Rots stack.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 01:31:49 AM »
Page 25 of the Rulebook v2.0 states "All conditions can be duplicated on the same creature."

In the Codex under Conditions: "All conditions stack and their effects are cumulative."

I don't know where you are seeing differently, but an object can have multiple Rot conditions on it and their effects are cumulative per the rules.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »
I never bothered stacking "stunned" on a creature... should i in case the enemy wish to remove the stun(s)?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »
Stacking Stuns doesn't usually matter as "All Stun markers are removed at the end of the creature’s Action Phase." However, technically they do stack and it is possible for a creature to have multiple Stuns on it. The only time this would matter is if you want to use some kind of spell or special ability to remove the Stuns (such as the Priestess's Restore ability or the spell Lay Hands). In which case they do have to remove each Stun condition and pay the associated cost to do so.