May 05, 2024, 04:57:03 PM

Author Topic: Let's Talk Fortified Position  (Read 3794 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Let's Talk Fortified Position
« on: July 03, 2015, 08:05:37 PM »
Yes its a good spell, interacts with corrode, and contrasts with sacred ground. Those are covered in other rules-based threads.

Just now I wished this were a conjuration rather than an enchantment. It would interact better with Harshforge monolith, construction yard, dispel, goblin builder, and presumably other stuff im not thinking about.

Interacts worse with zone attacks, force hammer, and creatures with nothing better to do than attack.

Fortifications seem more like conjuration territory. Who should be better at fortifying a position? a goblin builder or a pixie named fellella?

The only enchantment worth dispelling in my warlord books half the time is fortified position. I'd rather those dispels sit wasted in my opponent's spellbook.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk Fortified Position
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 10:33:48 PM »
Setting aside walls as a form of conjured armor for a zone, this would seem to read as summonable bunkers and trenches. An interesting idea, but the application could be tricky with there already being a host of walls and zone exclusives already in the game.

Perhaps with the new modular maps there will be enough room for more conjurations. Mage Wars would stop being a duel and start being an actual war.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 12:08:02 AM »
Bunkers and trenches feel more like WWI to me than something involving Mages. Besides, I don't want a war... I'm perfectly happy with a duel.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »
The war field already employs many war style conjurations. Bunkers, barracks, garrison post, and even pike walls. Trenches and similar fortifications are most well remembered within WW1, but they do predate the war as a useful tactic.

If you want to avoid the WW1 feel and the spell being an enchantment, you would need a construct that could armor creatures in the zone without it being just another wall. What do you have in mind?
...ergh...argh...

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
What do I have in mind? Leaving everything as is. I never said that anything needed to be done.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »
Ah. I assumed you had something in mind when you said you disliked the theme, but didn't say you liked fortified position as is. I thought you also wanted to see a conjuration version. My bad.
...ergh...argh...

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 11:45:58 AM »
I'm personally not a fan of fortified position. It's in my warlord books but never play it.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 05:19:04 PM »
I'm personally not a fan of fortified position. It's in my warlord books but never play it.

You might want to take it out then :)