May 05, 2024, 07:36:19 PM

Author Topic: Flank Attack  (Read 7832 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Flank Attack
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:32:27 PM »
There is no thread for just [mwcard=MWSTX2FFI04] Flank Attack[/mwcard], so here we go.

It was very satisfying to have my little [mwcard=FWC05] Goblin Grunt[/mwcard] do a 7dice 3 piercing attack(To battle, flank attack, standard bearer, armory) which killed the enemy mage. The enemy mage had 6 armor and a veterans belt, so this worked out far better than hurling a boulder for way more mana.

I think I need to explore these goblin swarm books more.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: Flank Attack
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:44:30 PM »
The war school has a lot of fun toys.

It's still not my top choice for serious play, but it is probably the school I have the most fun with when I am playing casual

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:21:38 PM »
My issue with Flank Attack is that Hurl Rock is faster, more efficient, and requires less setup. And helps against flyers. Flank Attack is more relevant against armor stacking with Veteran's Belt, but Acid Ball spam out of an Elemental Wand with the Rune of Power or Goblin Alchemists are generally better answers for a Warlord than Flank Attack.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:16 AM »
My issue with Flank Attack is that Hurl Rock is faster, more efficient, and requires less setup. And helps against flyers. Flank Attack is more relevant against armor stacking with Veteran's Belt, but Acid Ball spam out of an Elemental Wand with the Rune of Power or Goblin Alchemists are generally better answers for a Warlord than Flank Attack.

[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC07]Gurmash, Orc Seargeant[/mwcard] < [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]  everyday of the week.

However, in my casual games I built a Bloowave Seargeant and Greatbowbook and had a lot of fun.

I was playing a player who was returning to the game (stopped playing before Kumanjaro was released) and so just did a super generic beastmaster animal kingdom book. I'm talking about the entire Mage Wars menagerie entered the arena. It was probably the most fun i have had with the game in ~ 2 years.

Sometimes it really is fun to play a less optimal book to keep things interesting from time to time. Will I bring that book to GenCon? probably not. In fact I need to built some books for GenCon..........

TL:DR
War School Motto, from Akiro's Mouth and soon to be the updated flavor text of [mwcard=MWSTX1CKI02]Akiro's Battle Cry[/mwcard]:

Everything is awesome
Everything is cool when you're part of a team
Everything is awesome when we're living our dream

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:05:09 PM »

[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC07]Gurmash, Orc Seargeant[/mwcard] < [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]  everyday of the week.

However, in my casual games I built a Bloowave Seargeant and Greatbowbook and had a lot of fun.

I was playing a player who was returning to the game (stopped playing before Kumanjaro was released) and so just did a super generic beastmaster animal kingdom book. I'm talking about the entire Mage Wars menagerie entered the arena. It was probably the most fun i have had with the game in ~ 2 years.

Sometimes it really is fun to play a less optimal book to keep things interesting from time to time. Will I bring that book to GenCon? probably not. In fact I need to built some books for GenCon..........

War School Motto, from Akiro's Mouth and soon to be the updated flavor text of [mwcard=MWSTX1CKI02]Akiro's Battle Cry[/mwcard]:

Everything is awesome

Until your soldiers start dying. You're a war mage, what did you expect?

This quote does not sound like what a warlord would say at all.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:37:07 PM »

Everything is awesome

Until your soldiers start dying. You're a war mage, what did you expect?

This quote does not sound like what a warlord would say at all.

I think the LEGO movie would prove otherwise :D

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 05:20:19 PM »
Hurl Rock may be simpler and faster but it's 4 mana and more significantly, it's only range 0-1
while Flank Attack ( with Ring of Command ) is only 2 mana a pop - a huge difference, considering this way you can squeeze a FA + Orc Butcher ( With General's Signet Ring ) out of your 9 mana channeling.
FA is also range 0-2 meaning a Warlord taking a centre position covers 10 out of 12 zones.

The hidden bonus within Flank Attack is that it helps you trigger the Bloodwave Warlords Vet skill.

So, I was thinking along these lines :
I need something to draw the enemy towards me -  a soldier who can apply the first hit
then I follow up with Flank Attacking Orc Butchers.
These guys can get scary fast : 4 dice + Vet + FA + Standard Bearer, that's 8 dice, Pierce +2 and 3 armour.

Here goes :

R1-19 : General's Signet Ring + Grimson Deadeye
R2-11 : Orc Butcher + Helm of Command ( Flank Attack )
R3- 9 : ready to rock and roll :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:22:00 PM by Borg »

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 11:31:18 PM »
Hurl Rock may be simpler and faster but it's 4 mana and more significantly, it's only range 0-1
while Flank Attack ( with Ring of Command ) is only 2 mana a pop - a huge difference, considering this way you can squeeze a FA + Orc Butcher ( With General's Signet Ring ) out of your 9 mana channeling.
FA is also range 0-2 meaning a Warlord taking a centre position covers 10 out of 12 zones.

The hidden bonus within Flank Attack is that it helps you trigger the Bloodwave Warlords Vet skill.

So, I was thinking along these lines :
I need something to draw the enemy towards me -  a soldier who can apply the first hit
then I follow up with Flank Attacking Orc Butchers.
These guys can get scary fast : 4 dice + Vet + FA + Standard Bearer, that's 8 dice, Pierce +2 and 3 armour.

Here goes :

R1-19 : General's Signet Ring + Grimson Deadeye
R2-11 : Orc Butcher + Helm of Command ( Flank Attack )
R3- 9 : ready to rock and roll :)

Interesting. Having never used Flank Attack before, I presumed that the first attack that damaged the enemy creature would have to have been a melee attack, but that isn't the way that the card is worded. Grimson makes a good reason for someone to close with you, and a good soldier to use to do the initial damage. Very interesting.

I know that I would teleport Grimson out of the zone rather than close with him, so you eventually might want to put a Nullify on him at some point also.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 03:03:45 AM »
I know that I would teleport Grimson out of the zone rather than close with him, so you eventually might want to put a Nullify on him at some point also.
Nullify, alright.
And the upcoming Astral Anchor are perfect for this strategy :)
http://www.letslevelup.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/astralanchor.png

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
Nullify, alright.
And the upcoming Astral Anchor are perfect for this strategy :)
http://www.letslevelup.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/astralanchor.png

Or a wall with Archers Watchtower has been mentioned many times.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin