May 06, 2024, 02:51:53 AM

Author Topic: Some intercept logical inconsistencies [Solved...?]  (Read 2800 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Some intercept logical inconsistencies [Solved...?]
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:53:44 PM »
My last game I noticed these. If I explode their chestpiece, a defending intercept creature can intercept the damage. If i combust their burn markers, same thing. 

I think ranged and intercept would be a lot more interesting and consistent if you could not intercept unavoidable attacks. If unavoidable means you cant deflect it with a shield, then how can you deflect it with a creature holding a shield?

/rant
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:41:20 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Some intercept logical inconsistencies
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 12:26:07 AM »
I tend to agree with you about Combustion. You actually cannot Intercept the Explode attack though because it is not a ranged attack. It does not have the ranged attack icon on the attack line
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 01:59:40 AM »
hmm difficult question.

Intercept
If this creature is guarding, and if a ranged attack targets a non-flying object in the same zone, this creature may
redirect that ranged attack to itself, as long as it can be a legal target for that attack.

In my eyes, Combustion is a spell where the victim is the origin of the combustion, there is no projectile the angel can see to jump in between, therefore no interception should be possible.
But, if Combustion as a ranged attack fits in the first part of the interception rule, i would say, that Combustion can only be intercepted, if the Angel is burning too, because a non-burning Angel cannot be combusted.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Tchi

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 02:46:33 AM »
Explode and Combustion aren't "range attacks", but only incantation.

For me, it's not possible to intercept an incantation.

Am I wrong ?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 02:49:47 AM »
Schwenkgott quoted the relevant part of Intercept. Intercept can only change the target for the attack if it is also a legal target for the attack to have chosen initially. It also can not change the target of an incantation at all. Therefore, it can not change the target of the [mwcard=MWSTX2FFI01]Combustion[/mwcard] incantation, and after the incantation resolves the attack it makes can only legally target the creature targeted by the incantation. Therefore, intercept can not change the target of the Combustion attack either because it is not a legal target for it.

Explode would also work under the same rules except for the fact that it's not a range attack at all, as sdougla2 pointed out.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 12:59:20 PM »
Cool. I guess combustion incantation dictates the only valid target of the combustion attack to be the incantations target. These are important for my fire warlock...
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Some intercept logical inconsistencies [Solved...?]
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »
The concept behind "Explode" and "Combustion" was that you were actually blowing up something physically on the target. In that way There is nothing to "jump in front of" and so Intercept does not work. Obviously, the applicable rules text has already been referenced, but just want you all to see a little behind the curtain.