May 25, 2024, 08:46:58 AM

Author Topic: Ring of healing Promo  (Read 6455 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Ring of healing Promo
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »
It says "whenever a spell cast by this mage...provides healing..."

So when you cast an [mwcard=MW1C02] Asyran Cleric[/mwcard] or [mwcard=FWJ08] Renewing Spring[/mwcard],  do the heal actions those provide count? Your mage isn't the source of the healing in both of those cases.

I'm guessing they do not count, or else that extra sentence about "an enchantment controlled by this mage" wouldn't exist and the wording would be more like "whenever a spell or ability you control provides healing..."

promo here: http://www.arcanewonders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Ring-of-Healing.png
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ring of healing Promo
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »
I am on your side there, the wording looks pretty clear to me (and even refers to group healing)
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:03:48 PM »

So when you cast an [mwcard=MW1C02] Asyran Cleric[/mwcard] or [mwcard=FWJ08] Renewing Spring[/mwcard],  do the heal actions those provide count? Your mage isn't the source of the healing in both of those cases.

I'm guessing they do not count, or else that extra sentence about "an enchantment controlled by this mage" wouldn't exist and the wording would be more like "whenever a spell or ability you control provides healing..."

promo here: http://www.arcanewonders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Ring-of-Healing.png

None of these spell provide healing. One of the spell summon a creature while the other spell create a conjuration. Know the difference.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 01:39:34 AM »

So when you cast an [mwcard=MW1C02] Asyran Cleric[/mwcard] or [mwcard=FWJ08] Renewing Spring[/mwcard],  do the heal actions those provide count? Your mage isn't the source of the healing in both of those cases.

None of these spell provide healing. One of the spell summon a creature while the other spell create a conjuration. Know the difference.

Wild is correct the spell or enchantment must directly heal.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:14:26 AM »
The question is:
Does it work with death link and vampirism - if so i will make a vampire necro with this card.
And he will easily heal 8+ per round.

If it works with deathlink then i assume the damage the creature takes will be up to 3 instead of up to 2.
Drain life will also be improved.

How about Gray Angel?
That is a spell cast by 'this mage' and when it gets sacrificed will it heal for 1 additional point?
Imo yes. But if a another Gray angel is cast by the temple of Asyra, then no additional healing from ring.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:25:52 AM »
The Grey Angel healing is not a spell. It is a special action performed by the angel.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 07:36:37 AM »
The Grey Angel healing is not a spell. It is a special action performed by the angel.

and?

The ring doesnt say 'heal spell' rather 'whenever a spell casts by this mage or enchantment controlled'

Read again. The angel healing is NOT A SPELL. It is a special action. And it is performed by the angel not the mage.

Also for the other spells:
- Death Link would indeed heal 1 more and by same way deal 1 more damage.
- Vampirism would not add healing because what the spell does is grant the attack the Vampirism trait. It doesnt provide healing. It is the attack that does the healing, not the spell.
- Drain Life would add 1 healing.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 07:44:19 AM »
but the Gray Angel is a spell. And said spell gives healing to an object - though at a later time (assuming it gets sacrificed) - so strictly following the wording on this ring and it should work.

The key to understanding this card (unless i missed somehting) is not in the wording, but in the intention.

Try to see 'Whenever' from my perspective and you will see it actually makes sense what im saying.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 07:53:01 AM »
Vampirism makes sense. No additional healing here.

Also is just 1 point per round so perhaps the strongest combo is with deathlink.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 08:01:12 AM »
but the Gray Angel is a spell. And said spell gives healing to an object - though at a later time (assuming it gets sacrificed) - so strictly following the wording on this ring and it should work.

The key to understanding this card (unless i missed somehting) is not in the wording, but in the intention.

Try to see 'Whenever' from my perspective and you will see it actually makes sense what im saying.

It is because you see Grey Angel as a spell but it is not. The spell Grey Angel summon a Grey Angel in the arena, then you use the spellcard as a representation of the object Grey Angel. It is no more a spell, it is a creature object.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 08:09:40 AM »

It is because you see Grey Angel as a spell but it is not. The spell Grey Angel summon a Grey Angel in the arena, then you use the spellcard as a representation of the object Grey Angel. It is no more a spell, it is a creature object.

Aha! now i got it. thanks

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 12:17:57 PM »
Just my two cents of an opinion:

1. The ring is increasing the healing granted by other spells and enchantments. It is not providing an additional heal itself. Therefore, it most definitely can be used to increase the healing from Death Link if you so choose, but that will also result in increased damage because Death Link says that any healing done has to cause damage as a result. Death Link is still the thing doing the healing, and so all of the rules for it's healing effect must still be obeyed.

2. The ring can also be used to increase Drain Life. However, in this case the healing is occurring separate from the damage and will not increase the damage as a result.

3. The healing must be granted by a spell being cast by the Mage or an Enchantment object in play controlled by the Mage. Other objects (creatures, conjurations, and equipment) can not have their healing effects increased in this manner.

4. Some equipment, however, allows for the Mage to use it to cast spells (Mage Wand, Wand of Healing, etc) and such spells would still be eligible for increase. In such instances, it is still the Mage that is casting a spell and not the object. If we ever have an Autonomous equipment that heals, or an equipment that passively heals, they would not receive the increase.

5. The ring would only increase healing from the Vampiric trait if it was part of an Attack Spell, which currently does not exist. Spells which provide the Vampiric trait, such as Vampirism and Vampiric Strike, are not actually healing the object. Instead, they are granting the object a way in which it may heal itself.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 01:19:18 AM »

Correct.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 01:22:22 AM »
Just my two cents of an opinion:

1. The ring is increasing the healing granted by other spells and enchantments. It is not providing an additional heal itself. Therefore, it most definitely can be used to increase the healing from Death Link if you so choose, but that will also result in increased damage because Death Link says that any healing done has to cause damage as a result. Death Link is still the thing doing the healing, and so all of the rules for it's healing effect must still be obeyed.

2. The ring can also be used to increase Drain Life. However, in this case the healing is occurring separate from the damage and will not increase the damage as a result.

3. The healing must be granted by a spell being cast by the Mage or an Enchantment object in play controlled by the Mage. Other objects (creatures, conjurations, and equipment) can not have their healing effects increased in this manner.

4. Some equipment, however, allows for the Mage to use it to cast spells (Mage Wand, Wand of Healing, etc) and such spells would still be eligible for increase. In such instances, it is still the Mage that is casting a spell and not the object. If we ever have an Autonomous equipment that heals, or an equipment that passively heals, they would not receive the increase.

5. The ring would only increase healing from the Vampiric trait if it was part of an Attack Spell, which currently does not exist. Spells which provide the Vampiric trait, such as Vampirism and Vampiric Strike, are not actually healing the object. Instead, they are granting the object a way in which it may heal itself.

1: Correct
2: Correct
3: Correct
4: Correct
5: Correct

And yes you got another sticker.