May 19, 2024, 08:45:05 AM

Author Topic: flyer making ranged attack against creature in same zone  (Read 7922 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
flyer making ranged attack against creature in same zone
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:31:29 PM »
flyer making ranged attack against creature in same zone, but their attack's range is 1-2. Can they still make the attack? I checked the rulebook and if taken literally, it seems to be that the answer is no. However, if the ranged attacker is non-flying and it's the defender that's flying instead, then such an attack could be made. This does not make sense to me AT ALL. It's rather shocking to me.

Then again, maybe there's a rules clarification somewhere on this that I missed...?

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: flyer making ranged attack against creature in same zone
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
No, there is not a clarification you've missed, because there is one coming soon.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:44:16 PM »
Uh, boss?
Quote from: FAQ 3-14-14
Flying
A creature can ignore minimum range when making a ranged attack against another object in its zone if either the attacking creature or the defending creature (or both) have the Flying trait.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »
Uh, boss?
Quote from: FAQ 3-14-14
Flying
A creature can ignore minimum range when making a ranged attack against another object in its zone if either the attacking creature or the defending creature (or both) have the Flying trait.

Ah. Thanks.

Wait. "Another object," then it switches from "object" to "creature". Does this rule still apply for flying conjurations ranged-attacking nonflying objects, or flying objects ranged attacking nonflying conjurations? I'm guessing it does, but still. It looks like there's a typo might confuse people.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 05:11:27 AM »
Or a conjuration with ranged attack against a flying creature?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »
Thanks for the catch, Kitch. This gives me a lot to clarify, but the intention is simple, if you can shoot a flyer in your zone ignoring minimum range, then that flyer could should you right back ignoring minimum range.

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
but what if one flyer shoots on another? with the current ruling it can shoot as flyers can always be shot independent of minimum range. But the idea of minimum range is like beeing hindered by the other creature on ground, so why not in the air!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »
The same thing applies that ringkichard mentioned:

Flying

In this case, the creature has the Flying trait, so it can ignore minimum range when attacking any object in its own zone (whether the target is flying or not).
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »
It's weird that two flying archers in the same zone can attack other...

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 10:21:15 PM »
How is that weird? It is using the same logic that says a creature on the ground can fire a ranged attack at one in the air. Different elevations. Not everything in the air is on the same elevation. There is a lot of wiggle room for one to be higher than the other.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 12:39:21 AM »
Here goes my flying sniper! :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 06:34:36 AM »
that's the point by making a ranged unit fly, you can totally avoid the creature to be forced to use the melee attack. Of course you need the enchantment, but flyers shouldn't be able to shoot other flyers in the same zone. Just my point of few, the current rules are clear in that sense

FruchtYogurt

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 08:32:03 AM »
I think, it feels natural that a ranged attack can target a flying creature in the same zone
and for me the other way round feels natural too.
And in the air is enough space to manoeuvre for a flying shooter attacking an other flyer.

For me the game should stay as intuitive as possible

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 10:06:13 AM »
There is enough room on the ground for an Archer to shoot someone else on the ground but that presumably doesn't work because the potential target moves close to you. A flyer doesn't want to move closer and that is why you can shoot him. But fliers can move close to each other.

It is unintuitive that you can hinder me but also be shot. That's not how it works on the ground. I imaging flying space to be another zone above the map and flying creatures can swoop down for melee as a 'free move with their attack'

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
It sounds like you're just imagining flyers on another 2-dimensional plane above the one on the ground, which is not realistic. If they can fly, they can be just as far from another flyer as they can be from a guy on the ground. They're not just standing on the roof, they can be above and below each other as well.

If they don't want to be close to a guy on the ground, why would they want to be close to a guy in the air? Either they're wanting to be distant, or not.

Regardless, the mechanical rules are quite clear that flyers can shoot each other with ranged attacks. If you don't like the thematic justification that I use, you are free to invent your own, but that is the way it works.

Edit: The hinderance statement is a good point though. I'm not completely certain how to justify two creatures being far enough to shoot each other yet still creating hinderance for one another.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:59:10 PM by Zuberi »