May 16, 2024, 08:58:33 PM

Author Topic: Guard Dog and Terrain  (Read 3239 times)

Werekingdom

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Guard Dog and Terrain
« on: November 10, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »
Does anyone know if the Terrain count towards the Vigilant trait on the Guard Dog?
The wording says: ".... a conjuration you control which is not attached to any object in the zone."
So is the terrain attached to the zone, and if so then is it (not attached to any object in the zone.) or (not attached to any object in the zone Including the zone itself)?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
Kill with Tanglevine

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Guard Dog and Terrain
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 01:47:34 AM »
ב"ה
Zones are not objects.
Since the target of all conjurations is "zone", actually all conjurations are attached to their zones.

ClockWork

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 02:43:47 AM »
not all conjurations target zones, some target corporeal creatures or zone borders ;D

The dog does not gain vigilant for strangle and tanglevines, nor walls, because walls are not in any zone, although they may be targeted as if in either adjacent zone.

The Guard Dog would be vigilant and gaurd your Swamp or High Ground, because as Super Sorcerer said, Zones are not objects
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:59:24 AM by clockwork »
Siren is so cool

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:28:35 AM »
Agreed as above - Terrains would trigger vigilant, whilst Walls and Tanglevine/Stranglevine/Quicksand/etc wouldn't.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 05:41:48 AM »
Agreed as above - Terrains would trigger vigilant, whilst Walls and Tanglevine/Stranglevine/Quicksand/etc wouldn't.
It seems with RAW that a guard dog even guards the zone with your raincloud but is not able to protect the raincloud from melee attacks. Interesting combo since you can move both the raincloud and the guard dog.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:55:24 AM »
It seems with RAW that a guard dog even guards the zone with your raincloud but is not able to protect the raincloud from melee attacks. Interesting combo since you can move both the raincloud and the guard dog.

Agreed - nice find! :)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 07:42:42 AM »
The banana sticker fairy has been here. Good work everyone.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 09:13:50 PM »
i have not double checked, but isnt a zone an object? i have always thought a decoy could target a zone to mimic a zone enchantment.

ExcaliburTK

• Curator of the White Spires
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 10:12:29 PM »
i have not double checked, but isnt a zone an object? i have always thought a decoy could target a zone to mimic a zone enchantment.

decoy's target bar reads "zone or object" 

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 08:22:20 PM »

No - I've been caught out on this in the past, and it was Decoy that did for me for the same reason.

A Zone is categorically not an Object. Some cards however (like Decoy) target an Object or Zone...