May 15, 2024, 03:07:57 PM

Author Topic: Dutch dueling mages results  (Read 7592 times)

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Dutch dueling mages results
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »
So In Arnhem, The Netherlands,  four rounds have been completed.  The score is 3 - 1 to Wout.  two very close games that came right down to the last play, which could have gone either way.  Until now,   
      the priestess has defeated the beastmaster,
      the wizard was taken down by the warlock.
      The wizard narrowly  finished off the beastmaster
      the warlock continued his victories by destroying the priestess,

next week the duels continue with

Priestess vs wizard
Beastmaster vs warlock

Hopefully two victories to me. 

This round will be finished off with a team battle of two mages vs two mages

wout

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch dueling mages results
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »
Bring it on! ;)
And after that there's still full and custom books and the new expansion on the horizon.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
Great to hear! Be sure and post more results.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 12:37:59 PM »
Send more mages

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:17:05 AM »
anyone around tomorrow in Arnhem, we will have our two matches and then a four player team game.   Who will win,  good or evil?

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 03:32:15 PM »
anyone around tomorrow in Arnhem?

Sorry, man. That would be a bridge too far.    ???

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »
haha,  not for a mage with a teleport

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:05 AM »
So the matches have been run, the die cast.   

The latest dutch dueling matchup led;

Beastman vs Warlock,  this was my worry match, how can the beastman take down a fire throwing maniac.  low level creatures get fried and my beastman has been on the wrong end of fireballs and burn markers before.  Answer, stand in the rain.  first fireball fizzled,  all dice thrown, all blanks.  Fizzzzzz.   Onwards bear and beastman.   A convincing victory to the beastman.   Score,  Paul 2  Wout 3

Then

Priestess vs Wizard, after following my victory with the beastman it was time to see if I could keep the momentum.  Wout is a tricky opponent at any time and after his terrible dice rolling with the warlock he was out for victory.  But the priestess proved too strong in her faith and her trusty knights who this time did manage to reach the wizard through a torrent of lighting bolts managed to bring victory for thier priestess.

Vengence is mine

Arnhem score   Paul 3  Wout 3

A follow up was a 4 player team game using the apprentice books and half the board.  It was short and brutal.   The bad guys  (Wizard and Warlock) led a pushed charge with a warlock taking out team on before going down to a combined assault of bears, unicorns, geysers and pillars of light.   The now solitary wizard was bolstered by mana worms and a gorgon archer managed to makke our life really difficult and almost sent the beastman to meet his maker (twarted by timely healing from the priestess) before going down under a tide of animals, weapons staves and fists.  Victory to the good guys.   

The tourni continues.  What will Wout pull out of the bag next week. 

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »
A dark stormy dutch night has seen the mages return after two weeks.   Time was needed to regenerate after being fireballed, blasted, eaten, chopped up or disolved.  Now we are back, out of apprentice mode with the expanded spellbooks seeking a win.

Tonight.  The priestess (wout)  takes on the beastman (paul)

a conservative start with both players bringing out mana flowers and skirting the base wall,  finally the priestess takes the advantage having an advantage in mana leads forward with a shrine and brings out a lighning angel, gulp.

The beastmaster has not been idle and has been summoning foxes and a timber wolf while raising flowers as well.

Looking at such a formidable opponent the numerous foxes and wolves retreat to protect the beastmaster as the angel advances, now covered by a royal archer.  Then the attack begins.

As the angel swoops in and destroys a flower, the summoned alpha male leads a charge into the priestess who has been held by a tanglevine.  followng in the alpha males wake come the foxes and wolves howling as they converge on the priestess.   As the archers scramble to protect the priestess and the angel tries to swing the balance a bull strength on a timber wolf, with the alphas addition to melee and a marked for death on the priestess is bolstered by a battle rage, allowing the timber wolf two attacks of 8 dice to finish her off.

Beast master wins

score Wout 3   Paul  4.

Next week the Wizard takes on the Warlock,  revenge for Wout?  We shall see

wout

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »
In short: I got my ass handed to me. Big time  ;D
Cool game though!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 02:29:31 PM »
Excellent write up. I enjoy reading about your contests. Keep in mind that when a creature makes multiple attacks though, only the first attack gets the bonuses from Melee +X and other traits.

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 08:40:07 AM »
Ah, that could have made a difference, though I think I would still have chewed the priestess into little gobbly bits.   This is something we thought of in another battle but could not find it.   Where does it say that in the rules?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »
It is in the Codex entry for a variety of Traits that they only affect the first attack when the attacker makes multiple attacks. For convenience, I did a quick scan through the Codex, and these are all of the ones I found that only benefit on the first attack.

Bloodthirsty +X
Charge +X
Mana Drain +X
Melee +X
Rage +X
Ranged +X
Vampiric

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 09:59:24 AM »
I like to stress that the very first section of the FAQ covers attacks and there is a great chart that covers all of this in detail. I have a print out of it and keep it in my game box. If there is a question bam! Answer!

Hope this helps!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

wout

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
Ah, that could have made a difference, though I think I would still have chewed the priestess into little gobbly bits. 

Hah yup pretty much! You got me on the first roll anyway ;)
I just checked the manual and indeed all modifiers on a melee attack only counts for the first attack, good to remember. But in this case, it wouldn't have mattered much.