May 13, 2024, 06:45:49 PM

Author Topic: Double Casting a Wand  (Read 17610 times)

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Double Casting a Wand
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »
So the text on Mage/Elemental Wand says that you can use it once per round to cast a bound spell. This seems like it should rule out casting the same spell twice in one round.

That said, can you to cast the bound spell once from the Wand (as a quickcast), and then unbind it and cast it as your normal action? (thus sending the spell to the discard pile)

Or does it take a quick action to un-bind a spell even if you aren't replacing it with anything?

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Double Casting a Wand
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:22:06 PM »
it takes a quick spell to swap out the spell in the wand.  i think it always has to have a spell in it, not sure.

also when you "unbind" the spell it goes to your spellbook not your prepaired spells.

however you could cast a spell with a wand and cast the same spell as a prepaired spell.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
What a great question!  And good answer Klaxus.

In order to change out spells, you must spend 3 mana and do this as a quick spell action.  You do not have to replace the spell, you can just unbind it to return it to your spellbook.  

The cost (3 mana), and the action (quick spell) used to unbind the spell to return it to your library is pretty steep just to get a spell back. However, you might do this if its your last Minor Heal and the other player is likely to destroy your wand!   :)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=1249
What a great question!  And good answer Klaxus.

In order to change out spells, you must spend 3 mana and do this as a quick spell action.  You do not have to replace the spell, you can just unbind it to return it to your spellbook.  

The cost (3 mana), and the action (quick spell) used to unbind the spell to return it to your library is pretty steep just to get a spell back. However, you might do this if its your last Minor Heal and the other player is likely to destroy your wand!   :)

I would say that 3 mana to get back a spell when you have a channeling of 8+ is not a bad price to save your last copy of a spell.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I guess the easiest way to "double cast" would be to cast once from your wand, and have a 2nd copy of the spell prepared in your hand.

Casting dissolve/explode on wands seems to be an awfully popular move, and it is good to know that you can "unbind" a spell without having to put a new spell there.

[Edit] Oh, how about this idea? Since a wand is a one-handed equipment ("Weapon OR Shield"), could you dual-wield?

Two fireblast wands with a fireshaper ring -> pretty sweet for damage.
Two incantation wands with teleport -> teleport a friendly creature, and then teleport yourself.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »
As Far as dual wielding goes I posted this a while ago. Check it out

Quote from: "Shad0w" post=267
Quote from: "Mestrahd" post=264
I see the picture of a Mage Wand [spoiler]
[attachment=11]MageWand.JPG[/attachment][/spoiler]in the rulebook has the slots weapon OR shield. So I assume Elemental Wand has the same slots. Can you have a Mage Wand in one hand and an Elemental Wand in the other? ZZAP BZZZAP!

In the base set we have a few items that use the shield or weapon slot. Remember that you can have 1 item equipped to each slot. On the Elemental Wand [spoiler][attachment=12]ElementalWand.JPG[/attachment][/spoiler]it has Weapon or shield listed. Because they each can go into either slot you could dual wield them.  Remember that you can never have 2 of the same card face up attached to any object in the arena including a mage. But if an item like a long bow [spoiler]
[attachment=13]IvariumLongbow.JPG[/attachment]
[/spoiler]had weapon and shield listed you could not equip any thing else to those slots.

So the short answer would be yes you can dual wield just not the same item.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Dapuma

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »
So you can or cannot dual wield two Mage Wands

I believe the answer is yes you can dual wield but not two Mage Wands because they have the same name, but I want to be clear, because two Mage wands would be very nice

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 12:16:57 PM »
as long as they don't have the same name and don't take up the same equipment slot, then you can have two wands equipped at the same time.  you could have Mage Wand and Elemental Wand both equipped at the same time (because both wands can be in either your weapon slot or your shield slot)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
Quote from: "theduke850" post=1497
as long as they don't have the same name and don't take up the same equipment slot, then you can have two wands equipped at the same time.  you could have Mage Wand and Elemental Wand both equipped at the same time (because both wands can be in either your weapon slot or your shield slot)

I think your trying to collect gold stars because you just earned another one.

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 12:54:24 PM »
Ha, no... I just think answering questions helps me feel more confident my understanding of the rules.  and I don't have much else to do today.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 01:31:27 AM »
lol your taking my job answering all the questions first, ive been slacking (work is picking up)
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »
It seems to me that a mage would carry more than one wand. So why can't he dual wield?

However I see on the page 24 of the rule book that this is illegal.

Perhaps their will be an epic wand in the future which can also allow incantations?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
Quote from: "halvor" post=1799
It seems to me that a mage would carry more than one wand. So why can't he dual wield?

However I see on the page 24 of the rule book that this is illegal.

Perhaps their will be an epic wand in the future which can also allow incantations?

Remember that  So you could have a Mage Wand and an Elemental Wand or a Mage Wand and another item that uses the shield or weapon slot but you can never have 2 of the same card face up attached to any object in the arena including a mage.

I hope that helps

Mathias

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 05:10:40 PM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=1244
So the text on Mage/Elemental Wand says that you can use it once per round to cast a bound spell.

Is this right? Isn't it possible to cast the attached spell twice?

Some piece of equipment can be used more than once a round (helm of fear, wizard's cloak,...)

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 05:38:51 PM »
Unless it says otherwise, you can use abilities on equipment as many times as you have actions available.

The Wands specifically restrict you to once per round. We did this for game balance.