May 02, 2024, 07:30:32 AM

Author Topic: Tournament Report: WBC 2016 Mage Wars Arena  (Read 3984 times)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
Tournament Report: WBC 2016 Mage Wars Arena
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:47:01 PM »
Here are the highlights from the WBC 2016 Mage Wars Arena tournament held July 22 – 30 at Sevens Springs Resort, PA.

This year Apprentice play covered 5 days followed by the top 8 players moving to advanced play on Saturday, July 30. We had 64 players attend demonstration sessions over the course of the first 4 days but this includes some players attending multiple sessions to learn a different mage. The qualifying round on Thursday had 19 players with 8 of those returning from last year’s tournament. We also had 7 players attend a Spellbook Design Seminar this year to learn advanced rules and tips for customizing a mage spellbook.

WBC 2016 graduating Apprentices are listed in rank order:
1.   Brad McCandless (Top ranked in 2015 too)
2.   Jim Newsome
3.   David Wolfe
4.   Jack Howell
5.   Vincent Sinigaglio
6.   Danielle Rosenberger
7.   Doug Mercer
8.   Nick Chepaitis

Core Set Mages selected for the single elimination rounds on Saturday were 4 Wizards, 3 Warlocks and 1 Beastmaster. The final match was a duel between two Warlocks with Nick Chepaitis defeating Jack Howell for the championship.

Congratulations to Nick Chepaitis the WBC 2016 Mage Wars Arena Champion!

Thanks to Arcane Wonders for co-sponsoring the event and donating a wonderful array of prizes for the participants. The game continues to be a big hit in the scheduled demonstration area at WBC with each session drawing 10 to 15 players at a time.

For tournament statistics and match by match details with pictures see the link below to the full tournament report.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cl698ih6up2aqpz/WBC%202016%20-%20Mage%20Wars%20Tournament%20Report.pdf?dl=0
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Report: WBC 2016 Mage Wars Arena
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 09:18:19 AM »
Very impressive Tournament, thanks for the review

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 04:06:10 PM »
Very impressive Tournament, thanks for the review

My pleasure.

It was a blast to run. You always meet interesting people. This year we had two couples playing which was great.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 04:41:46 AM »
Excelent report!!!
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 05:55:55 AM »
Thanks!

This year we had about half the matches in Saturday's single elimination play end in a kill. Last year all the single elimination rounds ended on time limit. I think players are taking on more risk as they learn the rules and explore new spell combinations.