May 17, 2024, 01:08:44 PM

Author Topic: Enchantments and Counter Spell  (Read 2292 times)

Quibleon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Enchantments and Counter Spell
« on: September 21, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »
Hello.

First of all, this is my first post in the forums and I would like to thank you all for this incredible game. My friends and I are completely drawn into it, spending many hours a day in very fun moments. We are from Brazil and play with a game set my friend brought from Canada.

However, there is a doubt that I have. Enchantments are countered when Cast [from hand] or when revealed? We were playing it as countering when revealed, until we came up with Jinx card text, which says to counter a quickcast, and revealing is not one of those. But for other cards, such as nulify, the targeting occurs when casting or revealing?

Thank you all in advance.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Enchantments and Counter Spell
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Yes, it's an excellent game. And this is a very friendly forum.

Enchantments are countered when cast, not when revealed. The opponent revealing another enchantment is what counters the enchantment.

Nullify is a counter spell attached to the target, Jinx is a counter spell attached to caster. You have to reveal it if the condition triggers (so don't stack both Nullify and Reverse Magic on the same creature). But you don't have to pay for it and if reveal is not paid, the enchantment is destroyed with no effect. So in the case where a mage with Jinx on him casts a hidden enchantment on a creature with Nullify, you must reveal both but choose to only pay for the Nullify. The enchantment is countered and revealed (for legal target purposes) to be a Decoy. But because the Decoy was never in play, it was not destroyed so no mana is gained by the caster.

The situation is fuzzier if you are using Enchantment Transfusion (a card in the Conquest of Kumanjaro set) to move enchantments onto a target with Nullify on it. My understanding of the rule is that it does not trigger the Nullify, sourced from this post.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12944.msg21638#msg21638

However, it would be good to see some official clarifications for all the issues raised by this more complicated but excellent, meta-defining card.

Hope that all helps.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Enchantments and Counter Spell
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:59:55 PM »
Thanks deck have a sticker for that post.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage