May 09, 2024, 12:55:29 PM

Author Topic: Index and Organized Spell Document  (Read 11452 times)

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Index and Organized Spell Document
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »
I put together an indexed and organized 32 page document containing scans of all the cards released in the boxset and first expansion. I'm posting here to make sure it's ok with Arcane Wonders for me to share it. And assuming it is, to solicit some suggestions on how I can go about sharing a 102mb pdf? Break it into multiple documents maybe?

Just so you get a sense of what I am talking about.. it's organized generally as follows:

Section 1-   Equipment (organized by equipment slot)

Section 2-   Main (Each organized into Creatures, Conjurations, Enchantments, and Incantations, then by level)
      I.    Arcane
      II.    Dark
      III.    Holy
      IV.    Mind
      V.    Nature
      VI.    War
      VII.    Minor Schools

Section 3-   Attack Spells (by school, then by level)

Appendix- Walls

I wouldn't mind comments on how I might better organize this as well, if anyone thinks there is a better system that isn't too complex. I may wait for the next set to come out before I print this out myself so I can include those card in an organized way.

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Index and Organized Spell Document
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:45:46 PM »
Why don't you just use CardDB? You can sort the cards by various means and there are pictures of each card. I realise the forcemaster / warlord isn't on there yet - but that's a different topic all together.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »
I decided I wanted a complete and indexed reference that could be easily viewed and prefer to be able to have a printed form. Also, like you said CardDB isn't exactly keeping up with the releases. In case you misunderstood I've already put the entire document together.

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:39:42 PM »
Ah my apologies I thought it was a future project. Do you have all the promos within the document as well?

feedback

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:36 AM »
Well, I think if Arcane Wonders agrees in sharing, the best choice to share a large pdf is definitely via Dropbox :)
If it is ok for them to make that file circulate, that would be great for working on spellbooks without having the game with you. Yes, I know you can do that with the Excel sheets that have been posted somewhere, but having the scans makes things, at least for me, faster, easier and nicer :)
“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never would.”

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:47:17 AM »
@Paleblue I don't have access to the promos. I could include them if someone were to send some to me ;)

@Feedback my thoughts exactly, and being able to look at nine cards on a page is nice. I could have fit more per page, but I wanted to leave some breathing room so it was easier to look at the document. I'll check out dropbox.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:19:39 AM »
have you gotten any word on this, personally i would like to know if there is an available PDF before i spend a whole weekend scanning my own cards just so i can build decks in combination with an excel spell builder (because i cant remember the wordings of every singe card) while i am traveling on the train/plane and while i am on break at work.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:15:10 AM »
I'm still waiting on a response. My inquiry has been forwarded from the head of customer service to someone who can hopefully give me an answer.

tom

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »
This pdf would help me out a ton.  Hopefully it gets released.
I care not how many minions I lose,
the Darkfenne always has more graves.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »
To answer your Question:

How would I do it? Close to what you have done already. The changes I would make, would be:

Do the card images by collection: Core, Forcemaster vs. Warlord, Conquest of Kumanjaro, etc and Promos (by release (and I would not drop the Promos out as the went in to standard release))

I would then Group: Attack, Creatures, Equipment, Conjurations, Enchantments, and Incantations (Alphabetical Order)

Then further Subgroup: Arcane, Dark, Holy, Mind, Nature, War, Air, Earth, Fire, Water (Alphabetical Order)

The reason I would do the card images by collection is so I do not have to insert images of new stuff amongst the old stuff I have previously done. The index up front would be the piece that integrates the collections into one by Group and Subgroup and then by Level. Would almost love to shove into an Access DB :)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:10:37 PM »
sIke, I actually reorganized closer to what you are suggesting before handing the document off to the Arcane Wonders team. Still waiting on a response as to what they want to do. I used the same sort of document building software that they use to lay out magazines and books.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 01:01:12 AM »
would it be a good guess to say MW has not responded back to you because they don't want you to release the indexed cards without actually saying no. I wish they would just give you a yes or no answer already. and I think I need to just scan my own cards for personal use.

I might even make a database program (for myself) but that's just because I am an obsessive engineer that loves tinkering with excel and such
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 06:42:28 AM »
I wouldn't come to that conclusion yet. They did respond to me to tell me they are still mulling it over. I think that Memorial Day weekend has something to do with it. Plus, I wouldn't assume that it's their highest priority, lol.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 02:19:43 AM »
just my luck, that i planed to scan all my pages of mage wars cards this weekend (they are already in 9 slot ultra-pro, spell time and alphabetized)... and my scanner is broken

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 05:17:31 AM »
Any update from arcane wonders?