May 02, 2024, 02:23:54 PM

Author Topic: Spellbook Organisation  (Read 6298 times)

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
Spellbook Organisation
« on: March 03, 2014, 03:57:38 AM »
Two threads made me think about spellbooks in quite specific terms: the first one ist the one about modular spellbooks (http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=13736.0), the second one is the thread about general usage of spellbooks vs. decs/stacks (http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=13776.0).

Here is a related question I'd like to throw at you: how do you guys organise your spellbooks?

The typical thing seems to be to simply organise the spells according to their categories: equipment, conjurations etc. However, I think there could be more to that. Do you put the cards for your open strategy on one page? Do you put "debuff" and "buff" enchantments on separate pages? Do you order your spells according to mana cost? Do you scatter them wildly so your opponent cannot tell whether you are preparing an attack spell or a piece of equipment?

Looking forward to your comments!
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Spellbook Organisation
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »
The only custom book games I've played are on OCTGN. All of my IRL games have been in apprentice mode. Most of those I've used the spellbooks for.

I think the important thing here is to be able to find your cards when you need them. If you're using the binder, then it's probably good enough to organize by type.

On OCTGN everything is organized by type for you. It's also spread out in a row in front of you so that you can easily see all your cards, in a way that would be impossible to hide them from your opponent(s) if it were in IRL.

However, once I do get around to playing custom games IRL, I'm planning on playing with my spellbook in deck form. It will start the game organized by type, then strategic relevance.

However, during the game, I will actively keep my deck organized by type, but not strategic relevance.

For those who have trouble finding their spells in a deck, my recommendation is the more organized your deck is at the start of the game, the easier it will probably be to find the cards you need when you need them. It might be good to organize first by type, then subtype, and then level. Or you could skip subtype and organize by type then level.

However, I would also advise players not to try too hard to maintain this level of organization throughout the game. If it's that well organized at the start then I think it's probably good enough to maintain organization by type.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

lettucemode

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »
I sort by type and then alphabetically. This is because in a game I don't usually say to myself "I need a good buff card for my creature" then go looking for one. I say "I need a Bear's Strength" or "I need a Nullify". I know exactly which card I want before I go looking through my spellbook and so it is organized to take me to that card as fast as possible.

Artemus Maximus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
Equipment, Creatures, Conjuration in front
Enchantments, Attacks, Incantations in back.

Each type sorted by mana cost and/or spellbook cost. I try to keep multiples on the same page. I fill leftover space on a page when a type ends with a  backwards card in sleeve.

Although w/ Enchantments I usually put things like traps or harmonize & mage-intended Enchantments first if they exist.  And for Incantations, I put possible Mage Wand nominees together.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
I play with a deck of cards, with the cards sorted by color (type). I don't usually bother to sort them within each type, although duplicates of the same card tend to go together. I have never had any problems swiftly locating the cards that I want to use.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »
I organize by type, then effect within that type. My fiancee organizes by type, then mana cost.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
By Type: Equipment, Attack, Creature, Conjurations, Enchantments, and Incantations. These are organized Alpha with a blank page between types so I can add more type spells easily and quickly if need arises.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 04:11:40 AM »
I make my spellbooks compleatly random. I shuffle all my cards once I'm done with that game and replace in availiable slots sometimes I intentionally leave blank places so I utilise more pages in the spellbook

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
This...I...what...*faint*  :o

Can't deny it having something congenial though.  ;)

I make my spellbooks compleatly random. I shuffle all my cards once I'm done with that game and replace in availiable slots sometimes I intentionally leave blank places so I utilise more pages in the spellbook
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 02:26:29 PM »
In a tourney, I would rearranged the order of the spell types and maybe reverse alpha the cards or both or some or none of the above between matches. ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »
I love it when I can guess the spells you are going to play by the placement in the book. Halfway through the match I know what's upl

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »
For me it goes:
Equipment
Conjurations
Creatures
Enchantments
Incantations
Attack

I prep my spells so that my opponent can't see my book generally.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:40 AM »
I have all my spellbooks set up with the apprentice mode cards in front, sorted by spell type and then alphabetical order. I keep the apprentice books set up in case I ever need to teach somebody. I always want to be ready.

After that, I leave a few pages blank and then add in other cards, again sorted by spell type and then alphabetical order.

I do see potential problems with doing this though. The idea that people can guess what you are playing based on how many pages you are flipping. But as long as you change up what order you have the spell types in, then it should be fine. & I wouldn't worry about this at all anyway unless it was a tournament or something along those lines.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 06:40:30 AM »
i have same order as silverclawgrizzly. also trying to leave empty pages between type so i can easily add new cards. same cards are on the same page.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 09:13:49 AM »
I love it when I can guess the spells you are going to play by the placement in the book. Halfway through the match I know what's upl

Another reason to prefer deck form to binder form. If you want your spellbook organized by type, you probably won't have the time to change how your spellbook is organized between games in a tournament setting, since you have to do it card by card. If you're using a deck shaped build, you can rearrange entire sections of it in just a few seconds!

Question: are people required to use the binders in official tournaments?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.