May 13, 2024, 11:27:31 AM

Author Topic: Status of Tabletopia Module  (Read 19961 times)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Status of Tabletopia Module
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »
It will be very interesting to see how often/well Tabletopia is updated, compared to OCTGN. When I snarked that Tabletopia's advantage is a subscription fee, I wasn't really kidding. Money is possibly the second greatest motivator in product updates.

The first, though, is passion for the product, and sIKE and ACG do amazing work that I'm frankly unsure Tabletopia will be able to match.

On the third hand, if OCTGN got more serious about marketing and monitization, the platform might be in substantially better shape.

--

The subscription payment model for Tabletopia is an interesting choice, actually, because

1. It competes with AW's physical retail program. If I'm paying $60 a year for the digital, I may forgo the additional $80 a year for the cardstock.

2. AW only gets a fraction of that subscription fee, related to #of plays of AW product.

3. No microtransactions. I know a lot of people hate being nickle-and-dime'd by their hobbies (hence Mage Wars' and Net Runner's success vs CCGs) but there's a reason sites like Kongregate have gone to micropayments instead of subscriptions and microtransactions.

At least the lack of microtransactions forbears designers to chase Whales, the 10% of addicts from whom 80% of revenue comes.

(In a subscription model, loss aversion works against you: you're asking the customer to lose money to gain the service. In a purchase model, it's neutral: you lose money but you gain a product. In microtransactions (insidious things that they are) since playing is free there's no encouragement to quit, but if you do stop you lose the experience that you've been paying for (because there's always more things to buy, and gamers are neophiles).)

If Scott hasn't talked to someone like Kongregate's (Gamestop's) Emily Greer, I'd encourage him to do so.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »
What is the advantage of tabletopia over OCTGN? The OCTGN guys worked hard and now it works really smooth. Of course you can always find some errors.

(genuinely wondering, I'm not familiar with tabletopia)

edit: I had this comment in the wrong thread

OCTGN is a very clunky interface and it is not pretty. Also, it is PC only and not many people knows about it.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »
for mac users: can't you just download an (illegal) windows interface and run it on that?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
for mac users: can't you just download an (illegal) windows interface and run it on that?

They can and these programs are legal. But while we are at it, why not ask them to go buy a PC? OCTGN doesn't support them, Tabletopia does. So one is clearly better than the other just for that.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 12:03:40 PM »

My mac can run windows just fine, but I'm not thrilled by re-partitioning my hard drive and dual booting. Or paying ~$100 for a copy of Windows. And no, I'm not going to pirate my OS.

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:31 PM »

My mac can run windows just fine, but I'm not thrilled by re-partitioning my hard drive and dual booting. Or paying ~$100 for a copy of Windows. And no, I'm not going to pirate my OS.
+1

This would have exactly been my answer if you didn't post it earlier.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 12:27:53 PM »
Mage Wars is a bit more complicated than Monopoly ...
Sike worked over a year on the octgn module and we already have some very comfortable automation going on.
I do like the Look of the Tabletopia but I very much doubt that they can catch up with Octgn very soon because there are so many weird card interactions. If they want full automation, then this will take a long time to set up. If they dont want automation, I would rather stay with Octgn.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 12:40:14 PM »
Mage Wars is a bit more complicated than Monopoly ...
Sike worked over a year on the octgn module and we already have some very comfortable automation going on.
I do like the Look of the Tabletopia but I very much doubt that they can catch up with Octgn very soon because there are so many weird card interactions. If they want full automation, then this will take a long time to set up. If they dont want automation, I would rather stay with Octgn.

Tabletopia is not about automatisation but to give access to boardgames online as if you were playing at home.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 03:20:42 PM »
You can turn off automation on OCTGN too, Vassal also has a MW Module, though I am not sure if any one is keeping it up to date at this point. I do not know if Vassal supports MAC either. As for OCTGN, Windows 10 is free btw, and you can run it in a VM without to many issues or lag on a MAC.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »
Can you turn off ALL automations on octgn? Last time I checked some automations were just built in.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 04:55:43 PM »
As for OCTGN, Windows 10 is free btw, and you can run it in a VM without to many issues or lag on a MAC.
It's free only for those with W7 or higher already.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 04:59:26 PM »
As for OCTGN, Windows 10 is free btw, and you can run it in a VM without to many issues or lag on a MAC.
It's free only for those with W7 or higher already.

And my Mac's from early 2008, so the most it'll run is Win7 anyway.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 05:20:48 PM »
Can you turn off ALL automations on octgn? Last time I checked some automations were just built in.
Well I guess you can "turn" off Phase Changes, but if you never press the Crtl+Down or Ctrl+Enter you would ignore all of that automation. I mean if people are really interested, I can create a game button that loads a board and turns EVERYTHING off. Meaning no spellbook validation, phase mgmt., processing, card attachments and BC turned off. You would be responsible for everything...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 05:37:36 PM »

Well I guess you can "turn" off Phase Changes, but if you never press the Crtl+Down or Ctrl+Enter you would ignore all of that automation. I mean if people are really interested, I can create a game button that loads a board and turns EVERYTHING off. Meaning no spellbook validation, phase mgmt., processing, card attachments and BC turned off. You would be responsible for everything...

Aside from the spellbook validation being removed, making a version where everything else is manual would be awesome!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »

Aside from the spellbook validation being removed, making a version where everything else is manual would be awesome!

Not really... The first time you would reset all markers and run through each burn at your commuter you'll start to enjoy automatisation :)