May 13, 2024, 02:10:10 PM

Author Topic: Status of Tabletopia Module  (Read 19962 times)

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Status of Tabletopia Module
« on: November 04, 2015, 08:29:09 AM »
Since I have finally given up on getting OCTGN to run stable under Mac OS X I wondered if somone from arcane wonders could say something official about the status of the mage wars module for Tabletopia. Will it be available with the open beta (starting in 1st week of december according to the Tabletopia site)? Or will it be released after the release version of Tabletopia is available?
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
OCTGN: Tyrnan (GMT +1)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Status of Tabletopia Module
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »
Hello Tyrnan!

We're working with Tabletopia right now. We're hoping to have a playable version pretty quickly. Now, having the ability to build a custom spellbook is something that may take a bit longer, but we're working with Tabletopia so that you can experience all of the joy of Mage Wars.

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »
Thank you very much for the prompt response.
Just to earn some points for my degree in stating the obvious:  I'm really looking forward to this ;D

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 09:34:39 AM »
We're excited about the possibilities as well.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 11:34:49 PM »
OMG this is just awesome if Mage Wars get on Tabletopia!

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 05:54:33 AM »

+1
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Status of Tabletopia Module
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 07:55:30 AM »

+1

This whole thread gains the Upvoted +1 trait. During the upkeep phase you gain brownie points equal to the number of times you've been Upvoted.

Also brownie points make me think of banana stickers. I haven't seen you guys award any in a long time. Is it because Zuberi keeps eating them? :D

Will there be Wonder Magnets in tabletopia, or some other kind of virtual badges/trophies that you can display on your profile to show off your notable past accomplishments in the arena (or the academy)?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 08:16:44 AM »
Will there be Wonder Magnets in tabletopia, or some other kind of virtual badges/trophies that you can display on your profile to show off your notable past accomplishments in the arena (or the academy)?

I don't know. That's more a function of how Tabletopia decides to do things. Right now it's all about getting the recommended spellbooks ready for play, then working on spellbook customization.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »
What is the advantage of tabletopia over OCTGN? The OCTGN guys worked hard and now it works really smooth. Of course you can always find some errors.

(genuinely wondering, I'm not familiar with tabletopia)

edit: I had this comment in the wrong thread
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 08:41:24 AM »
What is the advantage of tabletopia over OCTGN? The OCTGN guys worked hard and now it works really smooth. Of course you can always find some errors.

(genuinely wondering, I'm not familiar with tabletopia)

edit: I had this comment in the wrong thread

Tabletopia charges a subscription fee.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 08:51:18 AM »
Subscription? Hmm, usually I prefer games with an upfront cost. I'm not sure whether this will be worth my money. My main complaint about octgn is that it makes players too reliant on automation for things they would need to do manually in real life.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 08:57:27 AM »
Having played several games on tabletopia now, I can say that their interface is pretty dang incredible. It's very attractive and smooth to play. With their kickstarter this is an opportunity to show Mage Wars to a whole new set of players. I don't think this is a one or the other situation. I've been super excited with all the work that sIKE and other have put into the OCTGN module. It's been a joy to see all the activity the last few months, what with Thunderdome and thedude's upcoming event.

So in the end, the system is pretty solid, but the biggest advantage is reach. They reach players we wouldn't normally reach.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 10:22:41 AM »
I noticed you'll be able to play Berserk as well.
That's a game many here might like too.

http://help.tabletopia.com/gameslist/

Tyrnan

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 10:37:02 AM »

So in the end, the system is pretty solid, but the biggest advantage is reach. They reach players we wouldn't normally reach.
Yes. For instance with Tabletopia you will reach all the people using Mac OS X and Linux.

There were some statements form the OCTGN developers that they plan to create a Mac version but theses are more than a year old. So as a Mac user the only option is to use Wine here. For my system I finally managed to make it run with Wine but although I can use the spellbookbuilder and start or join games it keeps on crashing in the middle of my games, which takes all the fun out of it and prohibits to take part in games with people I do not know personally  :(

For this reason (and also the overall more polished UI) I'm very excited about Tabletopia because I think this will enable me to play mage wars online at last in the very near future.

Please note that I really appreciate the work of the OCTGN team for making and keeping the work up on this great non commercial platform and also of sIKE, creating the awesome mage wars module but since it doesn't run on my system (yet) I'm very happy that there is an alternative which looks really promising.

Khax

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 10:44:29 AM »

+1

+5. I, my brother and some friends.. 5 in total  ;)