May 13, 2024, 02:09:13 PM

Author Topic: MageWars Monday - Cerberus  (Read 14089 times)

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: MageWars Monday - Cerberus
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
If Warlock would get some kind of Conjuration idol that grant Vampirism to every friendly living (demon, dark, all?) creatures, this could make a very good conjuration to defend with Cerberus. To balance it, maybe make it to do 1 or 2 direct damage to all affected creature too. You know, warlock stuff give bonus, but their gift require a payment ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:38:46 AM by Wildhorn »

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
This creature is not limited to Warlock, I could see a Druid using it to guard her tree.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 12:35:18 PM »
Sadly, he only gets awesome bonuses when guarding Dark conjurations.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 12:53:22 PM »
Sadly, he only gets awesome bonuses when guarding Dark conjurations.

Oh yeah... Sad... Or not :)

Battlehamster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
I wrote on the blog but will reiterate here. He is too expensive and passive for what he does. I don't see a warlock using him unless he plops down a deathlock all the way forward on the front lines for some reason. It's too bad since I really like the art on this card.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
I wrote on the blog but will reiterate here. He is too expensive and passive for what he does. I don't see a warlock using him unless he plops down a deathlock all the way forward on the front lines for some reason. It's too bad since I really like the art on this card.

I don't think he is too expensive. He is the equivalent of a Steelclaw Grizzly but more defensive than agressive. But he is guarding a Dark Conjuration, he suddently become slightly more "agressive" than a Grizzly.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 02:54:24 PM »
But when are you really gonna need to guard a Dark conjuration? As mentioned already, probably only with the Altar of Skulls, Idol of Pestilence, or Deathlock.

Him sitting back guarding those takes away from the tempo most Warlocks and Necros try to have. They're usually all about aggressive builds and Cerberus doesn't help that.

For 17 mana I'd rather get out a Dark Pact Slayer or Blood Demon or something, that way I can save some mana as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:21:58 PM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 03:00:23 PM »
Well, with the new cheap mana lvl 2 demon, I could see Pentagram being used and it will need tonbe guarded at some point. Also, have in mind that this expansion comes with Conquest. Also, Altar of Sacrifice could be useful to allow him to get its special ability trigger on the frontline.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 03:47:11 PM »
I'm not likely to use him with my Warlock unless I find him useful for the new one. My Necromancer however could use a good solid guard and instead of running away all the time I could just park him in Cerberus square.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Gregstrom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »
I sort of agree that he seems too expensive for what he does.  17 mana to protect a conjuration is okayish, but then...  he's pretty intimidating when on guard.  So what's to stop the other mage from just working round him?  If you can take the pain from whatever Cerberus is guarding and use your 17 mana advantage to kill his master, cool.  If you can't ignore the conjuration,  why not kill it with attack spells and avoid the Cerberus issue that way?  If you can do that you've not just taken out the big threat conjuration but also significantly weakened a level 4 creature, potentially gaining tempo from what might otherwise be a purely reactive move.

As a Warlock, if I really want a conjuration safe I might want it on the far side of the arena from the other mage, where he has to overextend himself to hurt it  (or, better, can't reach it at all).  At that point, Cerberus is a pretty tough creature to justify.

I think that if I cast Cerberus I'd want to be practically guaranteed that he'd get to use that glorious triple counterstrike of his, and where he'd be using it on a target that mattered.  I'd want a plan where I'd have him going on guard in the same space as me, and preferably the enemy mage too.  And if possible I'd want a backup conjuration in the space with me, so that a quickcast attack spell didn't leave him all deflated in the face of an oncoming Golem.  Trouble is, that'd require some sort of new Dark conjuration I haven't seen yet, sort of like a Dark Tanglevine or something equally interesting.  Or a Wall of Bone, if that worked (and I suspect it doesn't?).

Here's waiting on the rest of the spoilers then.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 04:21:47 PM »
I like the idea of this creature, but I agree with people saying he is too expensive. I hardly ever get around to casting any level 4 creatures no matter what mage I am playing, especially if that mage only has a channeling of 9.
"See you space cowboy..."

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 04:33:43 PM »
As long as he is Guarding in a zone with a Dark Conjuration he gets the Triplestrike trait. What happens if the Warlock is in the same zone and the FM wants to take a swipe at the Warlock? And he has [mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard] on and you have run out of [mwcard=MW1I28]Teleport[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1I07]Dissolve[/mwcard] spells (no Wand either).

True he is a very defensive play, but if your Dark Mage needs to get out of some trouble.....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 04:59:54 PM »
To quote the Conquer preview, "Terrain is a new kind of conjuration we’re working on, even though Terrain did not make it into Forged in Fire, it will be out soon."
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Gregstrom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »
So Cerberus may be a slow burner then...

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
To quote the Conquer preview, "Terrain is a new kind of conjuration we’re working on, even though Terrain did not make it into Forged in Fire, it will be out soon."

Omg, yes. Since the card doesnt say Non-Terrain Conjuration, we must assume that his ability will trigger if he guard a zone with a Dark Terrain Conjuration! He gonna be amazing!