May 13, 2024, 09:36:36 AM

Author Topic: FIF: Creative Corner  (Read 13746 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: FIF: Creative Corner
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 08:19:52 PM »
Other pets can be Banished, put to Sleep, or Mind Controlled. Maybe not quite as effective as Dissolve, but not incredibly distant from it either. And the Dwarf gets 5 equipment buffs he can have out at one time, while nobody else can buff more than a single creature at a time with their "pet" buffs (unless we count Veteran as a Pet buff, but that requires you to kill something to gain rather than just buffing upon summoning so I feel it is a different category).

Plus, his "pet" buffs are a lot cheaper at only 1 mana each to apply. Easier to apply and more plentiful, but also easier to remove by his opponents. Seems fair to me. Especially when you add on Armor Ward, which I feel is definitely worth the 3 points for an Equipment centric mage (My Priest definitely loves his Armor Wards). Now they have to pay 6 extra mana to dissolve your precious piece of equipment? Yes, please!!!

I'm not sure what bad interactions it may have with Harshforge, though. I have not seen anything to be worried about as of yet.

Dr.Cornelius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 01:43:55 AM »
I don't see that the two Warlords are all that different, honestly. A lot of people would value Melee +1 over Tough -2, actually. More aggressive people. I think the two traits are very comparable.
Actually, its not even close if you assume the Dwarf will always be swinging with a rune weapon.  After paying one mana for a Precision Rune, the Anvil Dwarf has piercing +1 on all of his attacks, which is not far from +1 melee once per turn.  The Dwarf also has the flexibility to put his Piercing Rune on a ranged weapon as well.   And it costs his opponent an extra two mana (net one mana disadvantage) do dissolve the rune weapon. 

The comparison is not even close.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 01:51:36 AM »
Ok I get that it costs more, but I'm still going to Dissolve a Rune Weapon if I get a chance. If it's that annoying I'll even pay for the Armor Ward. It's a deterrent but not a complete protection from losing the weapon.

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 03:33:27 AM »
Dear Dr. Cornelius,
I appreciate your insight and contributions on these forums, and welcome you as a brother to discuss matters pertaining to the Arena. I must say though, that I am not pleased that you would take a snippet of what I've said and claim it to be unfounded or invalid. Especially without proving your point. I do make mistakes, but you have not shown this to be one of them.

To start with, the statement you quoted was directly comparing Melee +1 with Tough -2. I discussed the Rune ability later in the post, but it had nothing to do with the statement you quoted. You failed to show me that Melee +1 and Tough -2 are not comparable traits themselves. If you will look at other posts, sIKE made very insightful comments as to how Tough becomes better when you are outnumbered and your mage is suffering from multiple attacks per round, which is much more pertinent to the quote you cited. I still maintain that that's not a situation you would want to be in though, and many players will prefer the increased damage over the increased insurance against a possible bad situation.

Second, your assumption that the Dwarf will always have the Piercing +1 Rune on his weapon is false. As silverclawgrizzly pointed out, it can and often will be Dissolved. Also, there are players who may prefer to make their weapon a Cantrip rather than giving it Piercing. That way they don't have to worry about losing it or packing a spare in their spellbook. At least that's an option I've been thinking about, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

Finally, if you read my entire post, you would see that I actually came to the conclusion that the Dwarf is superior to the Orc in a general sense. I just don't think it's to any great extent. The reason I think the Dwarf is superior is exactly because of his Rune ability. It is more reliable and versatile than the Veteran ability. However, the Orc still wins out on sheer aggression. All of his abilities, including all three of his Battle Orders, are aimed at increasing damage. Meanwhile, the Dwarf has only 1 Rune and 1 of his 3 Battle Orders which increase damage. Thus, the Orc will appeal to more aggressive players as being the better option for their playstyle. The benefits of the Dwarf in reliability and versatility won't matter so much to someone who just wants to beat the crap out of their opponent, and they are not great enough benefits to completely overshadow the bonus damage from the Orc, which is what those players will be looking at. Thus, the two aren't that far apart and both will see play. The Orc has not simply been replaced.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 05:16:44 AM »
I would just like to mention I'm a huge fan of the "beat the crap out of my opponent" play style Zuberi mentioned. It wins me a lot of matches 8) Far far more than the "get the crap beaten out of me" style. I've tried both extensively, I know where my preferences lie.

I'll use the Dwarf cause....he's a Dwarf and I'm a geek. I don't think he's necessarily better than the Orc though. My roommates and I are going to have a Bloodwave VS Anvil Throne battle the day he set comes out. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 05:50:48 AM »
It appears to me that the dwarf will be superior in offense simply because of the Charge battle cry.

now... i am not a playtester so i cant tell how it actually works out. But on paper i see this as an extremely strong ability that with timing can get the upper hand when engaging battle especially combined with an retalite or reverse attack.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 06:51:15 AM »
It appears to me that the dwarf will be superior in offense simply because of the Charge battle cry.

now... i am not a playtester so i cant tell how it actually works out. But on paper i see this as an extremely strong ability that with timing can get the upper hand when engaging battle especially combined with an retalite or reverse attack.

The Fast trait is good until the board is crowded or filled with vine markers. Then it becomes really less useful.

applepi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I like pi(e)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 07:20:27 AM »
Quick question:

Does the cantrip rune go away after the weapon is destroyed?  If so, that makes it sort of a one time cantrip instead of a real cantrip.

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 07:43:07 AM »
Quick question:

Does the cantrip rune go away after the weapon is destroyed?  If so, that makes it sort of a one time cantrip instead of a real cantrip.

Yes it goes away. It is even explained in the article if I remember.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
The nice thing here is that this dwarf is able to put on a bit more pressure than what we have traditionally come to expect from a Warlord. In my playtesting books, I have still carried two sets of armor to deal with this situation. I will have more to say on this topic later....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 09:37:19 AM »
Yeah, going from two armors to three for zero spellbook points is fantastic.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

aravar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2014, 10:08:23 AM »
The questions I have are around whether there are limitations around what sort of equipment you can put your runes on.

For example The Rune of Precision looks like it only works with weapons/equipment with an inherent attack. That seems pretty straightforward, adding precise to something that doesn't roll attack dice would be fairly pointless.

But does The Rune of Fortification only work if the equipment already grants armour?  Or could you put it on your Eagle-claw boots?

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »
The questions I have are around whether there are limitations around what sort of equipment you can put your runes on.

For example The Rune of Precision looks like it only works with weapons/equipment with an inherent attack. That seems pretty straightforward, adding precise to something that doesn't roll attack dice would be fairly pointless.

But does The Rune of Fortification only work if the equipment already grants armour?  Or could you put it on your Eagle-claw boots?

It is all explained in the article. You just need to read it.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »

Here is the rule for the Rune of Fortification:

Rune of Fortification: If this equipment gives an Armor +X bonus to the Mage, it gives an additional Armor +1.

Hope this helps!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

aravar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 10:57:27 AM »
It is all explained in the article. You just need to read it.

Wildhorn - true, the article uses the example of Leather Gloves, but the token reads "Armor +1" and there are plenty of other effects that give armour +1 without requiring it to be linked to another source of armour. It seemed worth clarifying whether the author just used the Leather Gloves as an example for simplicity or whether the rules required it.

sIKE - thanks! That clears it up nicely.