May 20, 2024, 07:07:04 AM

Author Topic: How to learn the game...  (Read 2481 times)

Tokata

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
How to learn the game...
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
Hello,
first of all: I'm not a native english speaker, so please tolerate if i write something in confusing ways^^

So the situtuation is the following:
On christmas i will drive home and get Magewars, from my hometown i will take two old friends with me to my new town for a boardgame-marathon. (We play 4-6 days in a row, all kinds of boardgames^^) - so usualy, as all the games belong to me, i know the gamerules, played the game and am able to explain everything - not so in magewars.  As i read it takes several houers to read the rules and get into the game, i would like to ask if there is a good way to learn magewars without haveing the components^^

+ As we are three players we would like to play with three players, obvioulsy. As i don't know the rules, i thought about simply adding one square to a corner, remove some fields, so we get at 4x4x4 triangle, in wich every corner start a mage - is there anything else to consider? (+ would one of the mages be in huge disadvantage / advantage in 1on1on1?)

Already thanks for the responses,
Tokata
:)

Edit: Ps: since we want to play with 3 players, wich extra material do i need? (like quickcast / action tookens etc) ( I plan to prox it with components of my other games^^)

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: How to learn the game...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 09:16:02 PM »
You can download the rules as well as a tutorial document from the main Mage Wars website. Those should give you a good grounding in the rules as well as let you read the Walkthrough that is in the rule book.

The Crits Happen website has a video review as well as a video replay of a game that you can watch to see how the game plays.

If you can afford it, I would just get two boxed sets and then use the extra components and spell cards to make it easier to play a three player game.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Tokata

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: How to learn the game...
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:19:14 AM »
Well could afford this but the big problem is: I (ok not I personally, but the person who will give me this on christmas^^) got the last copie avivable, didn't find another one^^
Ty for the information about rules and playthrough, i will search for them right away^^

(Atm i just ordered two corespelltomes... but from USA to Europe sending them just costs as much as a spelltome-,-) + not sure if they arrive in time^^

edit: OK while reading the rules i see that my idea of simply adding a field and removing 3 to bring the 3rd mage in a triangle fails cause there is no movement diagnolay... are there any other ideas for 3 player game?

edit²: ok guess i got the rules thanks^^ doesn't seem that complicated... waiting another 14 days will get harder, though :(