May 18, 2024, 04:05:37 AM

Author Topic: The necro and his gorgon  (Read 3861 times)

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
The necro and his gorgon
« on: May 19, 2014, 06:09:54 AM »
Just wanted to share this Necromancer build with you guys :

Mage Wars deck (built using OCTGN deckbuilder) 19/05/2014 0:00:00

Spellbook points: 120 used of 120 allowed

1 Necromancer

---  Attack  ---
1 Fireball

---  Conjuration  ---
2 Tanglevine
2 Wall of Bones
1 Mana Flower
1 Idol of Pestilence
1 Poison Gas Cloud
1 Sacrificial Altar

---  Creature  ---
1 Shaggoth-Zora
5 Zombie Crawler
2 Zombie Brute
2 Zombie Minion
1 Gorgon Archer

---  Enchantment  ---
1 Nullify
1 Harmonize
1 Plagued
1 Enfeeble
1 Cheetah Speed
2 Maim Wings
1 Marked for Death
1 Regrowth
1 Stumble
1 Poisoned Blood
1 Mongoose Agility
1 Hellfire Trap
1 Ghoul Rot
1 Chains of Agony
1 Block

---  Equipment  ---
1 Libro Mortuos
1 Deathshroud Staff
1 Leather Boots
1 Death Ring
1 Moonglow Amulet
1 Mage Wand
1 Demonhide Armor
1 Regrowth Belt
1 Cloak of Shadows
1 Meditation Amulet

---  Incantation  ---
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
1 Drain Life
1 Teleport
2 Zombie Frenzy
1 Force Push
1 Knockdown
1 Battle Fury
1 Force Wave

i got to win against "murphy" with his Warlord on OCTGN with this one last night, and i think it worked really well.

the first round i got gorgon out - i've been looking around a long time for something that could give me some time to let my necro build up, and gorgon really filled up that gap ! (thanks to the forums for that info !)

round 2 : deathring and crystal
round 3 : libro...
round 4 : zora...

after that i put ghoul rot on the warlord with my necro, and spawned crawlers with my book to feed the zora...

he was casting quite a lot of goblins and orcs but these never really got to my mage..only his ludwig really hurt me...

but then i got the poison cloud amidst his creats and his mage...poisoned again !..and every turn i poisoned the warlord again with my ability due to the weak token he got from the gorgon..sweet !

It was also the first time i got to use the meditation amulet : i must say it worked out fine with this build : the book spawned creatures, and i used my QC to cast the other stuff, while i refilled during FA with the amulet...nice !

the ghoul rot kept bleeding him, as wel as the attacks from my zora and gorgon...but he never healed, nor took some armor, and never dispelled my curses...so in the end i had to finish him of with a final fireball ! bye bye living thing ! the undead prevailed (and a serpent!)!

I guess the combo of undead creats and curses is really amazing...

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: The necro and his gorgon
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:47:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing this. I've been looking at the Necromancer lately, but I haven't tried using non-dark creatures that inflict poison conditions. I really like the idea of using Gorgon Archer due to the combination of the high chance to inflict a poison condition, the way that she helps deal with flyers, and the way she extends the game, allowing the Necromancer to build up.

I'll make some changes to my current Necromancer build and try this opening:

Turn 1 (20): Mana Crystal -> Mana Crystal (10)
Turn 2 (22): Gorgon Archer -> Death Ring (1)
Turn 3 (13): Libro Mortuos -> Leather Boots (2)

and see how it goes.

That opening will have to compete with my current Necromancer opening, which is:

Turn 1 (20): Death Ring -> Libro Mortuos (6)
Turn 2 (16): Venomous Zombie -> Leather Boots -> Venomous Zombie (3)
Turn 3 (13): Venomous Zombie -> Leather Gloves -> Venomous Zombie (0)

I've never really used Zora. He just seems so expensive to get going, and I would rather have several Zombie Brutes/Venomous Zombies than 1 big Zora.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:34:02 AM »
The Gorgon might be what I need in my Infamati et obliterati  book.....very interesting idea...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

pete2

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing this. I've been looking at the Necromancer lately, but I haven't tried using non-dark creatures that inflict poison conditions. I really like the idea of using Gorgon Archer due to the combination of the high chance to inflict a poison condition, the way that she helps deal with flyers, and the way she extends the game, allowing the Necromancer to build up.

I'll make some changes to my current Necromancer build and try this opening:

Turn 1 (20): Mana Crystal -> Mana Crystal (10)
Turn 2 (22): Gorgon Archer -> Death Ring (1)
Turn 3 (13): Libro Mortuos -> Leather Boots (2)

and see how it goes.

That opening will have to compete with my current Necromancer opening, which is:

Turn 1 (20): Death Ring -> Libro Mortuos (6)
Turn 2 (16): Venomous Zombie -> Leather Boots -> Venomous Zombie (3)
Turn 3 (13): Venomous Zombie -> Leather Gloves -> Venomous Zombie (0)

I've never really used Zora. He just seems so expensive to get going, and I would rather have several Zombie Brutes/Venomous Zombies than 1 big Zora.

i think i will consider playing the brutes next game, instead of zora...it indeed takes a couple of rounds+mana to have it up and operational..good that you pointed that out ! But like i said, in this particular game it worked out fine..what i liked most is that i had all bases covered with zora for melee and gorgon for ranged..i added the cloak to that so i could shoot at the opponent without even being seen...it was so sweet !
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »
One thing that I've been considering using Zora for is a contingency against mana denial. If I suspect my opponent will play Suppression Orb, Mordok's Obelisk, and/or Suppression Cloak, Zora and Brutes should work much better than Venomous Zombies, while still giving me something efficient to use Libro for.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
This is a really neat idea. I played a Beastmaster with Gorgon at one point, and that worked really well against agro books. I gave it up when Necro came out because Gorgon's no good at non-living targets, but as a Necro, it's just a mirror match, and you can pretty much count on the other player to be running some sort of poison, too, so you're both mostly in the same boat.

Finding the 8 points may be an interesting challenge, but after that it's just a question of beating Iron Golems and Devouring Jellies, because Necro's got such a good matchup against most of the rest of the field.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.