May 10, 2024, 12:50:42 AM

Author Topic: Quicksand  (Read 11878 times)

Gewar

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Quicksand
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 12:01:10 AM »
In the rulebook, under Teleport section, there is rule, that everything attached to creature, exept conjurations, is teleportet with it and conjurations are discarded.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
Quote from: "Deefer" post=6881
I guess I'm struggling with why a conjuration would go away just because the target is teleported out of it. Seems like it should stick around. Anyway... I get it.

It's just like in the movies: After you've sunken all the way into the quicksand it appears as regular sand again. :)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »
If I had to rationalize it, Id say because its not a zonewide pool of quicksand (otherwise the whole zone would suffer the effects, ala gas cloud) that its small enough that when the victim is pulled out of it that anyone else can see that part of the arena floor has been melted into a sand trap and can just step avoid it since zones are so much bigger areas than the quicksand area.

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=6894
If I had to rationalize it, Id say because its not a zonewide pool of quicksand (otherwise the whole zone would suffer the effects, ala gas cloud) that its small enough that when the victim is pulled out of it that anyone else can see that part of the arena floor has been melted into a sand trap and can just step avoid it since zones are so much bigger areas than the quicksand area.

I know this is OT, but now that makes me want a zone-wide DOT that turns the zone into LAVA.

Deefer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »
Quote from: "Gewar" post=6884
In the rulebook, under Teleport section, there is rule, that everything attached to creature, exept conjurations, is teleportet with it and conjurations are discarded.

good catch.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 05:39:26 PM »
Percent chance of escaping quicksand with a Quick action:
0 Sink: 41.7%
1 Sink: 33.3%
2 Sink: 25%
3 Sink: 16.7%

If a creature spends all 4 action phases attempting to escape, its chances are as follows:
Escapes after 1 action: 41.7%
Escapes after 2 action: 19.4%
Escapes after 3 action: 9.7%
Escapes after 4 actions: 4.9%
Sinks and dies: 24.3%

On average, a Quicksand will cause its target to lose 2.43 action phases, with a 24.3% chance to kill it after 4 action phases. That's a pretty good effect for only 2*Level mana.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »
Somebody likes looking behind the curtain. ^

Pious is correct that is almost the exact math I wanted when this was in playtesting.  I do like the way this works.

Quote from: "Locusshifter" post=6911
I know this is OT, but now that makes me want a zone-wide DOT that turns the zone into LAVA.

Those may be in the works. :whistle:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »
Quote from: "piousflea" post=7250
Percent chance of escaping quicksand with a Quick action:
0 Sink: 41.7%
1 Sink: 33.3%
2 Sink: 25%
3 Sink: 16.7%

If a creature spends all 4 action phases attempting to escape, its chances are as follows:
Escapes after 1 action: 41.7%
Escapes after 2 action: 19.4%
Escapes after 3 action: 9.7%
Escapes after 4 actions: 4.9%
Sinks and dies: 24.3%

On average, a Quicksand will cause its target to lose 2.43 action phases, with a 24.3% chance to kill it after 4 action phases. That's a pretty good effect for only 2*Level mana.

A priestess can fiddle with those numbers a little bit too for better odds if she is running a Temple of the Dawnbreaker, giving the creature a re-roll every round if they fail the first time.

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
Although the average is 2.4 turns, the probability of escape is front loaded. I would follow quicksand with a cheap stun. Lightning bolt would work well against a pesky buffed Knight of Westlock since he will be restrained.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: Quicksand and obliterate
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 05:19:27 PM »
I seem to be necroing a thread, but I think its the best place to write this:

I think quicksand should be errata-ed to obliterate a creature rather than destroy it? It seems inconsistent to me that you quicksand a creature(lets say minotaur), kill it with quicksand, and then he pops out of it as a rise again zombie creature. then you quicksand him again, wait 4 more turns, and he is destroyed.

I guess it could be explained by the reanimate spell lifts them out of the sand. but then why cant they be lifted out of the sand again when quicksand kills the zombie?

If quicksand kills zombies then how does making a creature a zombie save him from the quicksand? its like the ground is devouring the creature.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 06:36:16 PM »
Actually, I think the visual of seeing a creature pulled underground, only to have it dig its way up to return as a zombie. I actually think it's pretty cool.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »

Actually, I think the visual of seeing a creature pulled underground, only to have it dig its way up to return as a zombie. I actually think it's pretty cool.

Except that what he's talking about is if the creature was already a zombie when it gets destroyed by quicksand.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 12:43:51 AM »
If i QuickSand a Creature and Thorg with his Taunt ability will be "provoking" a creature in a quick sand, will this creature just try to attack Thorg and will not have an option to try to get out?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 01:00:36 AM »
To my understanding the creature is then screwed. Just like Quicksanding a Blood Thirsty creature and leaving a damaged creature in the zone.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 01:06:33 AM »
Thx, i was just wanted to be sure that i am not doing anything *funky* :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )