May 09, 2024, 07:25:05 PM

Author Topic: Exile and arcane ward  (Read 14559 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Exile and arcane ward
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 07:31:34 PM »
I have used Banish with good effect when I needed to set up a way to defend against the target of the Banish... such as maneuvering or in bringing out a couple of creatures in the meanwhile. I was once able to kill a large creature (I forget what it was) before it ever got to act again. It left the arena after having moved, and didn't make it to the end of the round in which it returned with all of my creatures in position to attack it as soon as it did.

Does anyone know whether Exile works the same way as Banish regarding the action marker, etc. while outside the arena?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:33:57 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 10:01:26 PM »
Does anyone know whether Exile works the same way as Banish regarding the action marker, etc. while outside the arena?

No one has responded to the question, so I thought I would ask again.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 01:02:07 AM »
i don't know, but i don't why it would be different...

Drefan

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 07:18:51 AM »
I've only seen the card being used once on Octagon and we treated it the same way as Banish.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
Octagon user: Drefan

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »
The text on Exile has no effect on the "action marker" of the enchanted creature. So you would follow all the normal steps of a turn, including Ready.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 10:56:52 AM »
We actually have a house rule that Arcane Ward cannot be put on Enchantments. We feel like it really messes with the game to be able to do that (not to mention messes with the card placement a lot). We don't want to have every deck needing to counter Arcane Ward as well (there's enough of that going on).

It's a cheap, Novice spell, and it can already do well enough without placing it on Enchantments. Nullify can only go on corporeal creatures. Arcane Ward also has a downside (triggers on your own spells), which isn't in effect at all when it goes on an Enchantment, since you almost never target your own Enchantments.

Have you tried using decoy? Or ignite? Or simply countering an enchantment in other ways without destroying it? Arcane ward is very useful for winning the enchantment game against your opponent. Sometimes certain spellbooks have particular enchantments that they need to protect but don't use enough important enchantments to justify using the wardstones.

I strongly advise against house ruling a card's effect unless that card has been thoroughly tested and shown to be overpowered in your playgroup's metagame. What can be fixed with a house rule can oftentimes be fixed better with tactics, with very rare exception.

I'm really curious about your playgroup's meta. What sets do you guys have access to? Do you guys have a shared card pool or do you each have your own? What other cards have you houseruled?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »
If you're houseruling Arcane Ward, I really hope you're houseruling Dispel too since Dispel is a game changer that can be near impossible to counter unless you have the perfect set-up and are given enough previous actions to set up an enchantment transfusion chain.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 12:20:39 AM »
i think AW is a bad nulify... but his only advantage is it can be cast on an enchantment!
and i think it's good, because enchantments coudn't be protected, beeing directly targeting by dispel.

but it changes a lot the balance, for shure.
and there are only few enchantments that can be cast on enchatments, so it brings no surprise (for the moment... hint!).

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
Frankly, I don't see using Arcane Ward on a piece of equipment as some seem to suggest. Sure, it stops Crumble, but I use Dissolve far more often than Crumble (since I need the full action for something else in my books). Dissolve targets the Mage, so my understanding is that the equipment will get Dissolved even with an AW on it. This is correct, isn't it?

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 08:05:53 AM »
The text on Exile has no effect on the "action marker" of the enchanted creature. So you would follow all the normal steps of a turn, including Ready.

Thanks, Laddin... that's the way I read it. It makes a big difference to me, and makes Exile far weaker in my opinion.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
Frankly, I don't see using Arcane Ward on a piece of equipment as some seem to suggest. Sure, it stops Crumble, but I use Dissolve far more often than Crumble (since I need the full action for something else in my books). Dissolve targets the Mage, so my understanding is that the equipment will get Dissolved even with an AW on it. This is correct, isn't it?

right.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Exile and arcane ward
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »

right.

On the flipside if your equipment does not have arcane ward on it, and you have a nullify on your mage, crumble will still destroy the equipment. And then it gives two mana back to the caster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »
i think AW is a bad nulify... but his only advantage is it can be cast on an enchantment!
and i think it's good, because enchantments coudn't be protected, beeing directly targeting by dispel.
Not only enchantments can be protected by AW. Imagine Warlord's surprise after having Conquer countered when trying to get rid of Wizard's Tower.
Also AW is a novice spell so it costs less than Nullify for everyone but Wizard.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

zolikk

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2016, 04:10:16 PM »
I'm really curious about your playgroup's meta. What sets do you guys have access to? Do you guys have a shared card pool or do you each have your own? What other cards have you houseruled?

There is no dedicated playgroup in our area, we're just a bunch of friends who play. We don't play that much to have a well developed meta, honestly. Our biggest issue with arcane ward on enchantments was the awkward placement, and we didn't find a reasonable solution for it, so we just took it off enchantments. It hasn't affected our games so much, but then again we don't play more than a few hours per week.

We also have some other changes in gameplay, like immunity doesn't mean you can't target that object at all... But I understand it can be completely different in competitive organized play.

If you're houseruling Arcane Ward, I really hope you're houseruling Dispel too since Dispel is a game changer that can be near impossible to counter unless you have the perfect set-up and are given enough previous actions to set up an enchantment transfusion chain.

I don't quite understand. Why is Dispel such a game changer? If you're relying on 1-2 enchantments to win the game for you, then Dispel should very well be a game changer against you, shouldn't it?

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
I think he's saying that by restricting arcane ward, one is also making dispel practically unstoppable. With very few , costly exceptions.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!